short range 6BR build

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by swadiver, Dec 18, 2017.

1. johara1

johara1

one more thing, the 12 twist will shoot 80's great and 68 gr bullets good also, but when the wind is up the 80's will kick ass. As you stated you are building a gun for a club shoot not a full out competition gun...... and when doesn't the wind blow? The BR case will shoot the the 80's better than the 68's...... Jim

2. swadiver

swadiver

Thanks to one and all for your inputs. You guys have given me a lot to consider

3. BOB LEE SWAGGER

BOB LEE SWAGGER Silver $$ Contributor

I have a BRX and 6BR 40 that I like very much. My different/just for fun would be a 6PPC just because DJ's brass (I am not connected in any way) does such a great job with turning and hydro-forming. It is my understanding that the 6PPC brass will last awhile.

WyleWD likes this.
  4. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

Or do a no turn neck 6ppc and use Norma brass in 6ppc. Size, trim to length, and shoot. Brass lasts a very long time if the chamber is cut correctly. Lots of good options for the OP. JME. WD

anschuter2013 and Toby Bradshaw like this.
  5. swadiver

swadiver

BOB LEE SWAGGER likes this.
  6. swadiver

swadiver

was not aware that Norma made 6PPC brass. this is peaking my interest even more in 6PPC. i need to talk to my smith.

thanks

7. Webster

Webster

I have a 14 twist on my Krieger barrel 6BR. It sprays 75 gr Sierra's all over. 70 Gr Sierra BK decent but load fussy. The 58 Hornady VMax is consistently better than the 65 VMax and 70 BK. The custom 68 GR Barts and Bergers shoot very good but they don't open up on GH. Shot a few Nosler 55 gr and got small groups. You won't have trouble putting coyotes to sleep with the 65 VMax. The 12 twist maybe 10 would be better for heavier bullets out past 500 yards. I have no problem getting 3600 fps with 8208 powder without signs of pressure. My go to load is 58 VMax 33.5 gr of 8208 at 3550 fps. It always shoots nice groups.

8. rangertim

rangertim Gold $$ Contributor

What action are you going to be using if it's a Remington you have to have your bolt worked over for it to pull PPC cases Most customs will pull both ! Unless you order your reamer your Smith reamer selection might dictate your decision I like the 12 Twist with 60 Thou Frebore no turn it would work with both maybe better with the 68's a little short on the 80's and if it shoots little dots and you wanted to compete in a VFS match to be legal it's as to be a HV Taper Profile if Im not mistaken Good Luck !

9. swadiver

swadiver

10. swadiver

swadiver

11. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

LOLOL...that is what I said to Clay Spencer when I built my first "real " LR gun. I wanted a 20 - 25 pound deer slayer for my hunting cabin....his reply....make it 17 LB IBS legal..just in case you ever want to go to a match. I agreed...but because of the whole resale thing, not the match thing. Next thing I know I am deep into the 1000 BR game.

NEVER SAY NEVER!!! :D

Tod

12. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

13. swadiver

swadiver

think i am going to stick with 6BR. maybe 6PPC in the future

14. SS427

SS427

I did what you did...built a short range no turn 6mmBR w/ a 13.5 twist barrel because I didn't want to turn brass. The next year I built the 6PPC I should have built in the first place. I have no regrets with the 6BR, but just saying I bet you end up with a PPC and turning brass before long anyway. And turning brass is no big deal. Many will disagree, but I like turning brass. The precision of doing it is fascinating to me.

15. WyleWD

16. swadiver

swadiver

probably will some day. i am retired so I need to spread out the fun over the years!

WyleWD likes this.
  17. swadiver

swadiver

nope, should i get some?

18. WyleWD

We tried the 135 and 8208 and were impressed with their performance with the 68's. Then on a fluke (Long story:rolleyes:) we tried some LT32 and it has shown us some fantastic groups! It may not work for your rifle but at least keep it in mind. ;) WD

LarryDScott likes this.
  19. swadiver

swadiver

thanks for the heads up

20. 308 shooter

308 shooter

Swadiver , do yourself a favor and read an article by the title of A poor man's hammer on 6mm br , I was in the same boat several year's ago and followed his reamer print from PT@G , Dave will know what reamer it is , and my gun turned out to be a Hammer with 70 grn, NBT and I am now shooting 105 Nosler CC through it and it's ridiculous accurate , I will use this reamer for the rest of my life on builds , it just flat out shoot's in my 1-8 twist brux , now if I could just get some brass for it ?
    No reason to reinvent the wheel , just food for thought .