short range 6BR build

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by swadiver, Dec 18, 2017.

1. swadiver

swadiver

looking for input on barrel brand, twist rate, length, contour and freebore for a 100 to 200 yd 6BR build for NON competitive bench rest shooting. prefer not to turn necks as well. bullet will be the 68 gr Bergers primarily.

my inclination is to go with a Krieger 4 groove, 1.250" straight pipe, at 26 inch in length. i have been lead to believe to stay away from 5R barrels for this type of build. 1 in 13.5 or 1 in 14 twist seems to be where i should go.

i have a couple of 1 in 8 twist 6BRs already for mid range shooting, but want to do something different this time

let me know what ya'll think

BJ44BJ likes this.
  2. mmcu

mmcu Silver $$ Contributor

Twist rate looks good, but I'd take 4-6 inches off of your barrel length.

3. johara1

johara1

13.5 twist HV. @ 24-26 will make 13.5 with a single screw rings and 22 oz. scope..... Jim

NCVarhtr likes this.
  4. johara1

johara1

The other thing you may want to try is a 12 twist and shoot Barts 80gr. boat tail they flat ass shoot....... Jim

5. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........

I shoot a 25" Kreiger 1:12 - 1.250 - .980 (that has been chambered specifically for 68 gr Barts FB's (VVN133) and Bergers 68gr FB's (Varget) with a short freebore (.045). I shoot only 100 yds and get fantastically tight 5 shot groups when I do my part. The edge though goes to the 68 gr Barts. Bergers are good but the Barts Ultras are GREAT!

Alex

LHSmith and MarkS like this.
  6. LHSmith

LHSmith

My son built a Rem 700 sporter with a Shilen 14 twist #6 contour for coyotes. It is extremely accurate with 65 gr. v-max. The smith advised that he might be better served with a 12 twist. In hindsight, I believe he was right.

7. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

1-8 twist, .272 neck so you don't have to mess with turning necks, ZERO freebore so you can start off with the lightest bullets you can find and as the throat wears (and it will, faster than you can imagine:eek:) go to heavier bullets and still be able to reach the lands. Nothing worse than finding a bullet that shoots bug holes, the throat starts to wear and your favorite bullets won't work like they use to. :( Been there, done that.
    As far as barrels, take your pick. PacNor, Shilen, Kreiger, etc, you take your pick. All good barrels.
    If you start off with and have your barrel chambered for 68s, you can only go heavier. No going back. Been there, done that and got rid on that long throated barrel.;) And get the chamber YOU WANT!! None of this "off the shelf" stuff. You're building it for YOU so get it the way YOU want it.:D

Hanbleceya, joshb and Shynloco like this.
  8. swadiver

swadiver

thanks for that, but as i said in the original post, i already have a few 1 in 8 twist 6BRs

9. swadiver

swadiver

thanks, but as i said in the original post, this is not for competition. weight is not a factor, the heavier the better

10. Sniper338

Sniper338

If you want to shoot 100-200 yard bugholes, the 6BR does it, but why not 6PPC? it does it a bit better. You said something different, it aint for competition, you already have several 6BRs...

just a opinion to weigh out...

Hanbleceya, joshb and Shynloco like this.
  11. swadiver

swadiver

thanks. i have thought a lot about going with 6PPC but fire forming brass, neck turning, is not floating my boat right now, i am going hold that one out for the future

222 rem, AndyTaber and Sniper338 like this.
  12. johara1

johara1

If you decide to sell it, it will be and most clubs that shoot short range are set at 13.5...... Jim

13. swadiver

swadiver

not going to be an issue for me.

BOB LEE SWAGGER likes this.
  14. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

Collectively, you are hearing the voice of perhaps 100 years of experience- don't be too quick to dismiss it. Step back with what's been advised and perhaps rethink your goals. Good luck with your build.

Gerald

Mulligan and Hanbleceya like this.
  15. swadiver

swadiver

thanks. what advise are you referring to?

16. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

How about considering the 80gr match bullets or the weight cap suggestions. It's all right there and these guys know from where they speak. They are trying to make your build successful.

17. swadiver

swadiver

certainly would consider the 80 gr bullet. i am not sure why the weight issue is a consideration. i have no intention to compete with the rifle and will not be selling it.

BOB LEE SWAGGER likes this.
  18. bradleya479

bradleya479 Silver $$ Contributor

I did just what you we're thinking took a 14 twist Shilen HV cut down to 20" chambered it with a 272 No turn neck and made A varmint rig. I use my partial boxes of 62 gr Bullets left over from my PPC rig. Fun to shoot and very accurate no problems feeding as a repeater!

19. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on this post.

Original Poster.... what you have listed in your second paragraph of your original post will probably work for what you're wanting to do. My brother has a 6br set up similar to what Shynloco has there. A Kreiger 1:12 in HV profile approx. 25" and short freebore (.045). While we use different powder than he uses, his barrel, and the 12tw I have (Hart) will shoot either the 68 or 80gr Barts Dominators very well. We've used some Precision Ballistics bullets of the same weights that also shot really well. As far as which brand of barrel to use... it always seems to work better for us if the gunsmith agrees with our choice of barrel maker. Right now there seems to be a lot of good brands of barrels being made. JME. WD

LHSmith likes this.
  20. boltfluter

boltfluter

I personally would give the HV contour serious consideration, as your rifle will have much better balance for shooting from your rest. Nose heavy, is not very conducive to shooting small groups. Good shooting and have fun.:D:D

Paul

Happy Holidays

anschuter2013, WyleWD and swd like this.