Short barreld 6br?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Northman, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Northman

Northman

Im once again thinking about making a 6br. This is supposed to be used for varminting. But, I want to use a barrel that is as short as possible. Reading on the webpage, about using the 6br as a varminter, they are claiming 3800fps with 55 grain bullets, and 3300fps with a 75 grain bullet.

Since those are the primary bullets I want to use, how short can I keep the barrel and still get these velocities?

2. tightneck

tightneck Gold $$ Contributor

If you only plan on using bullets up to 75 grs, the there is no reason for a long barrel. I dont recall ever using a 55 in the 6 br. but I have pushed a 75 well over 3300 in a 14 twist 24" barrel. I would imagine a 22 incher could achieve this, but whats a hundred feet per second here or there anyway. IMO, at varmint shooting distances for the 55 and 75's, you wont see any practical difference between a 22" or a 24" barrel. Just a very minor trajectory difference.

3. Dogfox

Dogfox

Hi
    I have a 6Br in a H&S precision pistol with a 18 inch barrel with a 1x13 twist and it drives 65 grains vmax @3222 fps.The accuracy is very good @ a 1/4 inch and smaller @100 yards.
    Dogfox

4. TominSWNY

TominSWNY

That mark of 3800 can be met and then some, but I have no knowledge of accuracy. I am loading to 3700+ with 55 gr B-tips from a 23 inch 14 twist and getting groups of a 1/4 inch at 100 yds. But maybe not all day long.

5. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Well, I really don't know how to respond when you want a short barrel and get fast velocity. My question would be, why a short barrel?

My first 6 BR was a 22" barrel, second was a 24" barrel, and worked with a friend's 26" barrel to develop loads for shooting varmints. I'll never have another 22", period!

In my 22" barrel, the first thing that you notice is the muzzle blast that is not there on the 26". Second, on the 22", getting 3300 out of a 70g bullet is about all you are going to get if that. You always take the chance in getting a SLOW barrel which you make up for if you have a little bit longer barrel.

Also, the longer barrel has less muzzle climb, if you are shooting the max heavy varmint countour especially.

If you have your barrel chambered for a 26" and feel as if you want a shorter barrel, you can always cut it off, but you can never add barrel lenght if you cut it off to begin with.

If you are going to shoot a 75g bullet at varmints, you are going to want to get the most velocity that you can in order to not have 45/70 trajectory, and 3300 MAY be tops in a good barrel unless you are wanting to shorten case life.

Good luck!