Shooting Bench Top

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Dead Eye, May 18, 2020.

1. Dead Eye

Dead Eye Silver $$ Contributor

So I am rebuilding my 100 yd bench and have been trying to decide on what material to use for the top. I used treated 2x12s for the top of my 250 yd bench but have been pondering treated 3/4” plywood. The frame and legs are made of treated 4x6s so rigidity is not too much of an issue. Any pros and cons of the two materials would be appreciated. Or any better materials that aren’t outrageous in cost.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Cemetery21

Cemetery21 NRA Life since 1975 Gold $$ Contributor

Saw someone on here using those composite deck boards - about the size of 2x6s. I'd think they would be stable and not warp/splinter like wood.

338 dude, DickE and joshb like this.
  3. Peterson1

Peterson1 Gold $$ Contributor

I prefer plywood in the situation you describe.
    This will also firm up the table restricting table movement.
    Smooth top with plywood-- ridges/valleys with boards
    I prefer the T shaped design for the top.
    My 2 cents worth!!!
    CLP

338 dude likes this.
  4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Use the treated ply. After you get it nailed down, cover it with rubber roofing. Commercial rubber roofing is an 1/8” thick. Buy a quart of the adhesive and glue it to the top. It will protect the plywood from rain and sun damage and give you a nice surface to shoot on. It will last ten years. Just about any roofing supply store carries it. Comes in white and black.
    ...and you can “spike” your rest feet thru it without much damage. It will almost seal it’s self back up.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    338 dude, hpshooter, McGraw and 3 others like this.
  5. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

20180109_121524_1515528303541[1228].jpg 20171126_133250-1462x973[846] - Copy.jpg sakrete.
    If it needs to be movable , Steel legs and thick plywood top.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  6. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

As one who has considerable deck made with them, yes, they are stable and don't warp or splinter (my plywood shooting bench top doesn't either :) ), but I can tell you that they are nowhere near as thick as a 2x6 and would need to be braced well on the underside to prevent flexing. Not a big problem, but the necessary bracing will add to the time and effort to build a bench top with them.

7. McFred

McFred

No splinters here. Pretty stable too. Where I live wood does not seem to survive the elements well. Thankfully, it doesn't have to be portable.

[​IMG]

8. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I would consider molding a top from CSA concrete. It's lighter weight and stronger than Portland cement and is impervious to weather. But it that idea leaves you cold, maybe this will give you inspiration.

I watched it several times and never figured out what she was building. Perhaps I was distracted. :cool:

ckaberna, quest450, dickn52 and 4 others like this.
  9. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Quit messing around do it up right. This is my back yard. We did the driveway at the same time so we had the concrete truck bring enough for the benches. The legs are steel. Oh, also you’ll notice there is plenty of leg room unlike wooden bench tops and 2X6 frames. E69FADB2-E307-4137-BB82-C9CBB00F7D50.jpeg

jonbearman, jepp2, wholmes and 10 others like this.
  10. johara1

johara1

3/4" exterior plywood glued together for a total thickness of 1 1/2" and painted, held down with carriage head bolts to a 2" heavy wall frame welded together on three 6" I beam legs cemented in the ground two feet..... it doesn't move...... jim

11. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

[QUOTE="

I watched it several times and never figured out what she was building. Perhaps I was distracted. :cool:[/QUOTE]

How in the world were you distracted..? SMILE.

338 dude, Texas10 and outasite `08 like this.
  12. ckrifles

ckrifles Gold $$ Contributor

What did she say?

outasite `08 likes this.
  13. outasite `08

outasite `08

She is my newest building instructor.

14. Dead Eye

Dead Eye Silver $$ Contributor

I think I am going to go with the treated plywood. Since the bench frame is made of treated 4x6s it will be very stable. I considered the composite deck boards but they are quite expensive. The concrete would be cool but that creates more work and I want to get it done this weekend.
    I do have a limited budget. Prolly why my shooting buddies don’t look like the one in the video. Anyway it will be 4’x8’ with positions on both sides. I got some buddies that are bass aackwards, damn right handers. Thanks for the input and ideas.
    Dave

joshb and Cemetery21 like this.
  15. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

D4395156-EDDC-44DF-A870-CB2A05CE7CAD.jpeg Some of the portable bench ideas you see on here are really steady but if you want something permanent

jonbearman, MGYSGT and joshb like this.
  16. mr45man

Looks kinda short, (low)

17. Gappmast

Gappmast Gold $$ Contributor

I have built benches with two pieces of 3/4" glued and screwed together and they work well. Three pieces together would be even better.

brians356 likes this.
  18. McFred

McFred

20cm OD Sonotubes make it look squat, they are buried some, earth mounded around them for additional support as they were cast separate from the top. The camera's perspective has an effect, I'm in the photo and I'm also 195cm tall. FWIW, the chair's adjustable height too (not pictured).

Shooter's 175cm tall:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    joshb likes this.
  19. mr45man

Yes i see, perfect. Sitting erect behind the gun. Benches should be built for tall people, and short people need higher / adjustable stools.

MGYSGT, SSL and Dusty Stevens like this.
  20. tsyarnall

tsyarnall Gold $$ Contributor

I need some direction. When do you use the drill.
    They always seem big until you start using them. What.......? The bench..... the bench!!!

joshb likes this.