Shooters World - Precision Rifle in 308 w/ 200gr bullets?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by MikeMcCasland, Jan 15, 2020.

1. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone mess with this combo as a replacement for Varget or H4895 behind a 200.20x or 200 Hybrid?

I did a little googling, and I couldn't find many reports of folks trying it (I looked under the Lovex branding too). I'm guessing based on the load data it's just a hair too fast, but figured I'd see if anyone had played around with it...with this combo it's a little difficult to judge by just looking at load data.

I've got 16lbs to play with, and figured I'd test it with 80s/90s in a .223 if it didn't pan out in .308.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. JayBeeYou

JayBeeYou

Mike,
    The guy that bought my rifle was using it with 20x's, I believe 44.2 was his load. It was hammering for him at CTSA. This was with the standard Speedy chamber at .170fb and his speed was 2630ish. It shot as well as Varget ever did for me in that rifle.

Zero333 likes this.
  3. MikeMcCasland

Dang, that's good to know. I remember him shooting it that day, and it was working well. Really good info!

Hope to see ya out there in a couple of weeks. ;)

4. MikeMcCasland

Well, I figured I'd post up some data because there isn't much out there for this powder and a long-throated .308.

TL;DR - Load this stuff up about like you would Varget.

I was fire forming new Lapua Palma brass today, and figured it would be a good opportunity to play around and get some preliminary numbers.

Overall it didn't meet accuracy expectations, but I was being pretty conservative with load workup, thus not in the ideal velocity ranges.

Details:
    308 Win - 180fb
    30" 1:10 5R Bartlein
    Virgin Brass

The 175 SMKs were ~.020 off, the 195 ELDMs were .060 off (I can't get this bullet to shoot anywhere FWIW), and the 200.20x was .012" off.

SWPR 308.PNG

On a related note, here's some data out of a .223. Brand new 28" 5R Bartlein / .169 ISSF chamber. Seems it doesn't move the 90s like Varget would, but I really need to grab some new Lapua brass to truly test. I almost never shoot LC brass out of my bolt guns, so I'm not entirely sure the volumetric difference between LC and Lapua .223 brass.

SWPR 223.PNG

Edit: If you're using an AutoTrickler V2, I'd look for other alternatives. This powder jams that Lee measure up something fierce; it doesn't matter how much screw tension you put on the measure. I've never had an extruded powder do that in the AT V2 before. The experience was so traumatizing I ordered the V3 upgrade last night.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020