Shipping a cleaning rod

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by hogpatrol, Jun 13, 2018.

1. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

I've bought cleaning rods from LGS, various vendors and this is the first one I purchased through Amazon. First time I ever had one shipped that was strapped by heavy rubber bands to a 1x2. With other online vendors, I had to hold my breath that it would arrive not bent.

IMG_20180613_104731755.jpg

swd, SPJ and CT10ring like this.
  2. Wiley Coyote

Wiley Coyote

Maybe a little info on the rod, or the vendor? I'm in the process of shopping new rods for a little CZ-452.

3. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Raythemanroe likes this.
  4. Wiley Coyote

Wiley Coyote

Thank you Sir. Need to look them up and get me a pair of them.

5. areaone

areaone

Pro shot rods are super and they stand behind them with no questions asked if you ever encounter a problem. Google pro shot and deal direct Great vendors

Urv, SPJ, hogpatrol and 1 other person like this.
  6. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I like all their products in fact I'm considering their copper solvent as well, any experience would be helpful
    J

7. mr.kirk

mr.kirk

I just got a pair of boretech rods in the mail. They came in Pretty substantial cardboard tubes that were then placed in a box. Wish I could say the same for the barrels.

8. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I have purchased a number of rods directly from Dewey and they came in their plastic storage (with hanging tab) tubes and then in a substantial corrugated tube. Never received a bent rod. I keep two for each caliber so that I can have one set up all the time with a brush and one with a jag. You can also buy those tubes from Dewey for $2.00 each and they come oversized and you can cut them to length to allow the jag or brush to stay on the rod in storage.

Bob

9. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Best that I've seen for a shipping container for a cleaning rod was a piece of heavy walled PVC Pipe. - They glued a cap (PVC ) on and on the other end they put the cap on & taped it up with the heavy package shipping tape so that it was secure.
    - The heavy walled corrugated tubes work well as was pointed out by Bob (rkittine).

10. Peterom

Peterom

I have also purchased rods directly from Dewey and had no problems; also Tipton rods from Midway - no issues there.

11. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

pvc works good for barrels too--especially if you have some prima donna on other end worried about a scratch...

12. majohnson

majohnson Gold $$ Contributor

Previously I use to ship custom marlin fishing gear, the sch40 and duct tape the end caps. The weight adds to shipping cost, but I never had a failure in over 10 year.

13. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

Surprisingly, Amazon takes the least cost effective method but the result is equal. Hard cardboard shipping tubes are much more expensive than a 1x2, rubber band and a standard box to put it all in. But they are great for doing the job.

14. cw308

cw308

Wiley Coyote
    I ordered a Dewey 20 caliber one piece rod for my CZ 452 22lr. CZ is smaller then 22 , a 22 rod will rub . The most accurate 22 I ever shot bug hole groups every time . Coated one piece rods , only way to go .