Shell holder ram clip spring

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Bc'z, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Mine broke, using a rubber band to hold shell holder in place on my rock chucker.
    Looked at to different LGS today. Nothing.
    Do you folks no of a remedy besides a rubber band wrapped around groove on ram?
    I'm all ears.
    Edit, I found parts list on rcbs website, i even found part in exploded view.
    It keeps referring me to a complete ram replacement.

2. riverwolf1

riverwolf1 Silver $$ Contributor

Just call RCBS, and they will send you one, usually no charge. Best customer service people in the business.

3. Rsadams

Rsadams

If you call they will ship you the parts for free... RCBS has never charged me for a single part over the years.... That's one of the main reasons I use their stuff , good C/S is an absolute must for me.... Kinda the reason I just bought a Dillon also....

muleystalker and Bc'z like this.
  4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Will do 1st thing in morning, thanks guys

5. farmerjohn

farmerjohn

Or you can use a rubber"O" ring, helps with bullet alignment

dogdude, nmkid, RDA72927 and 6 others like this.
  6. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

I read this post and then emailed RCBS asking for a new shell holder clip. I took the clip off to try the rubber o-ring that made the shell holder loose as a goose. When I put the clip back on the shell holder was loose and would spin.

Bottom line the o-ring trick sucks and lets the shell holder move around too much. If you want to use a o-ring then put one under the dies lock ring and let the die float. There is built in slop in the shell holder that lets the case move. If you need more shell holder movement then get a Co-Ax press.

Signed a vintage 1973 Rockchucker owner who hopes to get a replacement clip from RCBS.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Dusty Stevens, Bc'z and JRS like this.
  7. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

You'll get the clip. I wanted to upgrade my old Rockchuckers with the ball handle. They sent 2 of them to me, no charge.

Bc'z likes this.
  8. jackson1

jackson1

Have used the services of both RCBS and Leupold and can't enough good things about their companies. I wish the same could be said about the dealership that handles the service on my truck.

riverwolf1, Bc'z and boltfluter like this.
  9. Rsadams

Rsadams

Just FYI , I had massive problems with my rcbs kit I bought originally... Pretty much everything but the case lube and pad and loading block were bad.... Scale was just junk , the press were the handle screws in was threaded bad etc etc... I sent them a e- mail basically saying really..?? Within 24 hours I had a call saying that letter made it all the way to the vice president... They sent out everything , plus a new 10/10 scale to replace the horrible 505 it came with and asked me what other set of dies I needed for my trouble , then they said just throw that scale and whatever else away... All for free....

Now I expected them to make things right , I was not happy to say the least.... But to upgrade and send me a free set of S/B 30.06 dies for my auto loader etc kept me as a customer all these years and is a reason I have stuck with them... Let me just say if any company puts out something bad I will get it every time... Why companies don't occasionally pick a product off the line and send it to me I have no idea because it would cut down on shipping bad products because the one they sent me would be the broken one everytime....

Bc'z likes this.
  10. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

RCBS..........I do not know of another company that has had such superb customer service for so long. It has kept me 'green' since the 60's.

muleystalker, K22 and Bc'z like this.
  11. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Part #09111

If you want something to float, float the ram;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Bc'z likes this.
  12. cw308

cw308

RCBS equipment has a lifetime warranty , give them a call and they will send you a new clip at no charge .

13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Just spoke with a representative of rcbs.
    Got a couple clips being shipped free of charge!!
    Thanks rcbs and you guys for the support and info.

Dgd6mm and Rsadams like this.
  14. Bart B.

Bart B.

Isn't there enough case rim clearance in shell holders to allow cases to center in dies?

Lots of presses have enough slop in ram (and shell holder) alignment to die axis to do the same thing. How much does yours have?

Decent presses have their ram and die locations finish reamed with one reamer; both are very well aligned. Clean then lube them often to minimize slop.

Anyone ever checked a rifle bolt head's centering cases in the chamber?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM
  15. farmerjohn

farmerjohn

You can tell by firing pin indentation in the primer, with a properly bushed .62 firing pin it will show up real quick if it's not center. It will be off center also with a worn firing pin hole. As for the ram alignment issue I just got started doing the 0ring thing years ago before I got my first co-ax press from Bonanza back in the 70s....

16. farmerjohn

farmerjohn

Correction, .062! Me and this spell check crap and a smart phone and my old fingers are an accident looking for a place to happen....

Bart B. likes this.
  17. Bart B.

Bart B.

I think that shows only the alignment of the firing pin to the primer.

Where's the case head in the chamber when it fires if the case body is X thousandths smaller in diameter than that of the chamber? Top? Left side? Right side? Bottom? Center?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM