Seriously considering a Nite vision scope. What to look for?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by WyleWD, Nov 9, 2019.

1. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

This scope would be used both in daylight and at night. Will be used in relatively open, flat country on coyotes, and racoons. I'd like to have capability of 14x or more, and positive ID on targets to around or further than 300 yds. Functionality and quality would be more important than "Live Streaming" and stuff like that. It will be used on a 17 Rem or an AR.

Are there features or brands to stay away from? Is Gen 2 ok, or wait for Gen 3? Thanks in advance for your input. WD

2. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I tried this one the other day, my buddy uses it for coyotes at subsonic speeds.
    He likes it I just can’t remember what brand it was.
    Impressive for sure...

Attached Files:

WyleWD likes this.
  3. K9TXS

K9TXS

It looks like it could be an ATN X-Sight-4K 3-14.

I don't have one, but have been looking as well.

WyleWD and SPJ like this.
  4. Drop Port

Drop Port

Honestly it depends on what you want to spend? there are many options.

WyleWD likes this.
  5. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

You're sure right about both of those sentences. And since this is a venture that I have absolutely no experience in I thought that I'd ask here in hopes of some of the folks that have been at it a while could share their experiences.

The ATN X-sight-4k 3-14x caught my attention, but I see others for $3000+ and don't understand the sales pitch on them well enough to make an informed decision. WD

R.Morehouse likes this.
  6. Drop Port

Drop Port

If you know someone who can let you try one that would be my suggestion. If it fills your needs and is within your price range buy it an don't look back. If it's not a high grade or top of the line don't ever look through one, you will know why they cost so much.
    I have a friend that is a serious predator hunter who has invested piles of cash in optics. I'v had the opportunity to hunt with him and it is a game changer having thermals from both Knights Armament and Oasys.

7. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Check with 5 spd on this site. He has lots of experience with NV scopes and shooting.:D:D

Paul

8. jrm850

jrm850

I went out last night with a thermal and an X sight looking for pigs. IMO the field of view and the depth of focus of the x sight limit it for high speed scanning. Great for a stand or fixed position and a great image. The other negatives for the x-sight are what I call IR bloom, if looking through tall grass the IR illuminator reflects off the near object and blacks out the far object. Fast follow up shots can also be a problem from IR reflecting off the muzzle blast. The positive is the higher magnification. The thermal I was using was limited to 1-4x 384 and didn't have the current operating system, so a bit of a chore to zero. Nothing hides from a thermal and the grass was no issue. If cost was not an option, I would pick the thermal 10 out of 10 times for what I do. JMO

WyleWD and Drop Port like this.
  9. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I have extremely limited experience with night vision. I have looked through the Trijicon IR hunter at deer and they are phenomenal. I also had a friend give me his ATN Thor 4, 384, 1.25-5 to use. It taught me enough to know that I would not spend the money without talking to a reputable seller and defining what I expected. Eurooptics is good and there are some places that will rent you an optic, but they are expensive.

The ATN taught me that you are looking at a computer screen in the eyepiece. So, like a computer, the more pixels/size it has, the better the picture. The ATN I referenced above is the cheapest model and fails in display size for me. I can see a deer 200 yds away with it on 1.9X, but can only tell that it is a deer. If I try to zoom in to 5X, the picture becomes so grainy it is not usable. If I were shooting at a coyote at that range, I would be shooting at a dot in the scope. So, you need to also check the zoom. An optical zoom retains detail, but digital zoom magnifies the screen only and the pictures degrade as you zoom in. That means a unit with a 384 pixel display and a 16x zoom probably won't provide any quality at all. The refresh rate in the processor should also be 50 or higher; otherwise as you pan, the image will not keep up with the pan speed. Check the warranty - it's expensive if you have a failure. ATN does seem to be good as the one I used "ate" the micro sd card I inserted when I first used it and I had to send it back.

Also, consider your hunting techniques. I scan with a green light, then go to the scope if I get eyes. So, a good night vision would work just as good for me. I would NEVER pay for a cheaper brand unless I didn't use it much or expect much out of it. Also, when you take your eye away from the screen, it will have zero night vision for a few seconds.

If I indicated something wrong, forgive and correct me. But, it's just my experience so far.

GotRDid and WyleWD like this.
  10. Nightraider

Nightraider

11. Oso

Oso

Night Vision is either Infrared ($1000) or Thermal ($2500 - $10K), and neither of these units look, feel or function like your typical rifle scope. The Infrared type is basically a video camera that is enhanced with an infrared light source. It can be used during daylight or night... It is an inexpensive entry/gateway drug that is good as far as you accessory infrared light source will reach. The major drawback is that the light gets reflected back at you if you're in heavy foliage, tall grass etc...you are not seeing through anything beyond the surface. This is a great option if you are rarely going to use the scope and shooting within 200 yards.

Thermal units see the heat signatures so they will see through grass and not the issue of light getting reflected back at you. The downside is COST...you get what you pay for, The less expensive units do not provide as clear of image resolution, with the cheapest ones making it hard to distinguish a pig from a cow laying down sleeping in a field.,,which can be a very expensive mistake! The top of line Thermals for recreational use are Trijicon ($8k-$10K). If you have the desire, need or spare funds then a good Thermal is the final destination.

I recommend you get with some people and try out their gear. If you don't already own a $3k riflescope it is hard to justify a $3K thermal that you may only use 1 a month...

GotRDid likes this.
  12. Skippyisaaussie

Skippyisaaussie

IMG_20191111_223738.jpg

Been culling foxes etc in Aus for over a decade in tubed green, white, gen1, 2,3, digital and thermal.... Its a addiction, once you use better gear you never go backwards, I started from the bottom and learned the expensive way through hard knocks. In USA your spoilt for choice and much cheaper then say where I live where anything NV related is costly.

Currently running gsci thermal for tacking of life, thermal monocular to spotting and mum14 for getting about.

Be warned.... Its a addiction.

GotRDid and WyleWD like this.
  13. markT

markT

Check out lone star boars/ Huey outdoors. He has a review on thermals. He hunts hogs and has a lot of experience with night vision and thermal.
    I have a Pulsar XP 38 trail. It is really good and I’m sure others are better for more $$$$. I can video my hunts, stream to my iPhone and it has a motion detection mode that is fantastic for long waits for coyote to a bait pile.
    There are companies that will rent you a unit to try and I would strongly suggest you do that b4 spending and lot of money on a scope.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    GotRDid and Crow like this.