Serious Super Colibri shooters

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Iowa Fox, May 21, 2019.

1. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

I can't be the only one shooting these things. I'd like to hear from the guys that have experimented with pushing for maximum accuracy with these. What chamber have you found that gives the best accuracy. Has anyone had a reamer made especially for the Super Colibri? I'm looking to find a poor mans edgun, right now a 1958 39a is giving me the best accuracy with a short, long, LR chamber. Long rifle and Long rifle match chambers don't do so well.

2. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I've shot a lot of them, mostly out a Win 69a. Good accuracy for 25 yards or so. For what reamers and barrels cost I can't imagine anyone spending the money to have a specific reamer ground and rifle built around it. But they are fun to shoot!

3. moorepower

moorepower

I just shoot them for fun/ plinking. I don't think maximum accuracy and Super Colibri go together. IF that is the road you are trying to go down, start cutting back the chamber from the back until the bullet touches.

Shawnba67 likes this.
  4. germanlongbow

germanlongbow Scott M Bainbridge

I use them in my model 41 smith for in town blackbird's. 1x12 twist 7 inch barrel good for about 30 yards or so. Tried them in my 1x9 pac nor 26 in barrel, got stock half way through.

5. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I was thinking they didnt require any way near the normal 16 twist.
    Not to be the try this guy but cci makes a QUIET round. Its pretty accurate and barely louder. 40gr@750fps

6. Ggmac

Ggmac

Win 52 reamer (PTG) held .015 short barrel 1-16 and 16.5 in long . Longer barrels tend to cut the velocity or actually get the bullet stuck

7. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks Ggmac. I shoot about one brick (500 rnds) of Super Colibri a month. Not a single round of that is plinking, it's all serious pest control and I'm loosing the battle. I do shoot some of the CCI quiet but for the most part 40grs at 750 fps is a little more than I can safely use for most shots. I'm not opposed to experimenting with a chamber cut for the little 20 grn primer powered rounds in search of minute of small eyeball out to 25-30 yards. The cost to run a reamer in short is still at lot cheaper than a good air gun of which a lot of them are cracky, plus you never know the chamber job might just work. My grandsons break barrel Beeman cracks louder than a 22 rimfire. Edguns are quiet but most of them start at 2000 bucks before scope and tanks.

If anyone here is ahead of me in this research I'd enjoy hearing of your results.

8. moorepower

moorepower

I have shot all of mine out of a Remington 513 with a 24" barrel. FYI, My .25 Benjamin Marauder will shoot headshots on small pests past 50yds. Well past 50 yards, and it's quiet with a fully shrouded barrel.

GotRDid and holstil like this.