Serbian 24/47 98 Weeping Oil

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by watercam, Nov 13, 2017.

1. watercam

watercam Silver $$ Contributor

Have put together a K98 Sniper clone using a Serb 24/47 rifle as a base. New barrel shoots well, trigger has been tweaked, scope mounted, all good. Except for one small issue. When the barrel heats the forearm wood weeps oil both top and bottom. Only seems to be on the exterior of the wood but I am wondering what the heck they used on this stock. Linseed? Anyone else seen this before? Does it eventually dry out?

2. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair

I think that's the cosmoleen that has soaked in to the wood from the metal parts that have been plastered with it.
    I was told once to paint a cardboard box it fits in black and put it on the roof for a few hours on a hot day to get it all out.
    I haven't tried that yet though
    There was another trick I heard of to get dents out of the old mauser stocks by soaking the area with water and then using a hot iron and a towel to protect the wood with and the water heating expanding in the wood is supposed to lift the dent out. Haven't tried that either I think I would try the box maybe not the water I guess it depends on how bad I want to refurbish or restore it...

3. daleboy

daleboy

There are many ways to remove cosmoline,here is product designed to do it for you . I have used heat/paint thinner/alcohol/white gas/boiling water/steam...all work to a degree.

upload_2017-11-14_2-58-15.png

4. watercam

The oil that is weeping out is fairly clear (as opposed to cosmoline brown) and very viscous. I suppose it will leach out eventually.

5. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

6. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I've used the whiting. It takes lots of applications and is best done during the summer so you can keep the stock good and warm/hot to keep the oil weeping out so the whiting can soak it up.

7. watercam

If that is you in the video Boyd you are one buff Dude!
    Thanks, very helpful.

8. watercam

Thank you very much for the reply! Probably go with a low mode heat gun over the winter - Lord knows I need something to keep my hands busy!

9. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

I didn't make the video. In truth I am the opposite of "buff" :)

10. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Stinky stuff to do inside! After a few coats let it dry enough to get rid of the smell and if you have a wood stove set it by it for most of the day or over night. It takes a long time to really suck most of the oil out. And even then in the middle of of the summer you might get some oil.

11. daleboy

daleboy

I have used talcum powder in the past .Put it right to it and wrap it in a garbage bag to sweat in the heat.Just scrape the powder away and add more. WD40 will also dilute the oil for easier removal with rags,etc. .

12. watercam

OK, thanks everyone!

13. ebb

ebb

I had the same issue with target grips on a ruger MK1 pistol. Wash with lacquer thinner, dry, set in sun or under a mild heat lamp (adjust distance away from stock). repeat, repeat, repeat. Do this till no more oil comes out. Then after a few weeks you may have to do it again.

swd likes this.
  14. watercam

Well let's hope it is not that severe!