Sending Bolts from South Africa to the US to get bushed

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Xkv8r, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Xkv8r

Xkv8r

OK not really gunsmithing but here goes:

I've decided to get 6 of my Rem 700 SA rifle bolts bushed and I want to send them to Greg Tannel. I've sent him an e-mail but it is more than likely he has closed down for the Xmas holidays.

Are there any legal impediments (ITAR/State Dept) to sending him my bolts by DHL and him returning them to me in South Africa?

2. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Yes. For one, there is a post here about DHL not shipping any form of guns parts. And the State Dept will have to be involved as bolts are considered to be the importation/ exportation of a firearm. These were the hoops I would have to jump through to flute bolts from outside the U.S. Not sure if anything has changed with this administration. Good luck.

Paul

www.proprecisionrifles.com

shortgrass likes this.
  3. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

Lots of ITAR rules to sort through....

4. Xkv8r

Xkv8r

Greg replied to my e-mail and sez it is not a problem. So I will be sending them in the new year....I will mark them "machine parts for repair"

joshb likes this.
  5. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I would be very careful doing this. And, do some research yourself. If the package gets damaged in transit and the contents are exposed, you will most likely not be getting your bolts back. The State Dept. has no sense of humor when it comes to these things. This could very well end up being a very serious infraction with all the ITAR enforcement going on lately. I would think hard on this before doing it. The State dept is very clear on this and the penalties are just as severe as shipping a fully functional firearm. Federal gun crimes are nothing to take lightly, especially right now with all the ITAR stuff going on.

Paul

shortgrass and carlsbad like this.
  6. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

Paul has made it pretty clear, Think before you act.

7. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

If you can legally ship it to the U.S. from SA, and Greg can legally ship it back to SA, why would there be a problem?

8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Where are you located in RSA? I know there are gunsmiths in Blomfontein who could probably do the job. As far as shipping, I'd be more worried about getting them back in to your country.

joshb likes this.
  9. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

If it were me and my bolts I would only mail 1 or 2 at most and see how that turns out!! Sure wouldn't ship all of them at once with hopes of things going ok. All your barreled actions/rifles in SA and all your bolts somewhere else. Can you pretend with pew, pew, pew, pew each time you point them and pretend? :eek:

Just my free and worthless 2 cents worth of drivel.

10. Leeman

Leeman

If ITAR rules (Military and defense equipment) are administered by the State dept, why would they be involved in the process of returning parts of a sporting arm to their country of origin for repair and then re-export? Unless the country involved was on some list of black list to which all arms export was prohibited then I couldn't see why they could care less. You could always email them and ask the question. By the way I sent Greg a number of bolts a few years ago from NZ for bushing and had no problem either end with the bolts coming back within three weeks.

Richard.

11. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

If you had sent them from "OZ", you may have never seen them again. NZ must be a different story.
    And there's word out the President Trump may be working on getting rid of the ITAR restrictions so maybe wait a bit and see what happens?;)

12. clowdis

clowdis

Maybe Greg is ITAR compliant and that's why he says it isn't a problem shipping the bolts to him.

NorCalMikie and tmwinds like this.
  13. Xkv8r

Xkv8r

i will report how it went. I am sending some in January.

14. philip brousseau

philip brousseau

Greg is ITAR compliant