semi auto 30-06 with high capacity magazines

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by wesleysgreen, Nov 27, 2010.

1. wesleysgreen

wesleysgreen

hello, I am looking for some suggestions for a semi auto project that will be a tactical weapon when finished. I need so advice on who makes good semi auto 30-06 actions new or old that i could find.

I want around 1 MOA, rock solid performance, and external magazine with atleast 10rnd capacity.

I will re-barrel and put a synthetic stock on after a little while.

This will be a twin to a 30-06 bolt action i am building also in 30-06 (I love the caliber and will not change for a while, maybe I will do a bolt/semi auto twin build in .308 latter but that seems like an all to easy thing these days!)

A Garand will not do B/C the internal magazine and the BAR's that i have seen have a removable internal magazine. Much thanks for your input! Wes

2. wesleysgreen

wesleysgreen

I am thinking to find an older BAR in need of some care and have it blueprinted and a custom barrel. Mate the barrel and new action, custom synthetic stock and bobs your uncle that might work but it will be alot of cash!!

What do you think?

3. rewinder

rewinder Site $$ Contributor

Have you check out these guys at http://www.remington7400.com/index.php You could pick up some ideas. Randy

4. Steave

Steave

Here's my hi-cap .30-06, well, other than those that need belts...

[​IMG]

5. wesleysgreen

wesleysgreen

I have checked the remington 7400 out and I think it is a great hunting rifle, but I do not think it is sturdy enough to sustain fire in combat. I need something that will be dependible after 150 rnds continous fire. It looks like they have done some really nice stuff with the 7400. Wes

6. wesleysgreen

wesleysgreen

That is more of what i am after! Alittle on the large size and I think they go for about $4000. I wish I could find one cheaper! Wes

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Site $$ Contributor

I've seen a conversion done to the Garand so that it will accept and use BAR magazines. Looks like some serious work involved, but would come closer to your requirements than the semi-auto hunting rifles. I wouldn't expect to find a BAR, in any condition, at a bargin price.

8. nfhjr62

nfhjr62

Like the picture of the BAR, better yet look's like Steve has a REAL BIG BORE Rifle judging from the chassis frame the bar is sitting on

9. JDJones

JDJones

where exactly are you going to see combat and whay the hell would you choose a caliber that NOBOY else will have ammo for?
    The 30-06 beats the 308 by what 150 fps , in a "combat" situation where a high rate of fire is needed the bad guy will never notice

But if you just gotta have one Cobb make a AR style semi auto up to 338 Lapua

10. Steave

Steave

Yep, it is a bit bigger than .30 cal, 75mm to be exact!

11. wesleysgreen

wesleysgreen

I will not coment on the "see combat" question. I would like to have a o;der sort of tribute weapon and I have tons of respect for the 30-06 so that is where I am starting for my combat dedicated collection. I am well awear that the military does not use 30-06, anymore. COBB was bought buy Bushmaster and the multi-caliber weapon is no longer made. I will do a .308 project with a bolt action rifle and a semi or full auto rifle I just want to do the 30-06 first. Thanks for checking out the post and have fun with shooting! Wes