self quarantined ground squirrels

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by drover, Apr 5, 2020.

1. drover

drover

My wife and I did some self quaranting yesterday - we hopped in the truck and went out to one of our ground squirrel shooting fields, we spent all day self quarantined in the truck shooting squirrels.

The ranches that we hunt we are the only ones allowed on and the only interaction we have most of the time is a wave at one of the cowboys/ranch hands.

Still a little cool and early here for very many to be up, this is our 3rd trip out in as many weeks - 1st week we got 78 total, last week we got 130, yesterday 187. The good news is that by mid-week it is supposed to be 60 and sunny - you can bet that we will be out among them all day long.

Hope the rest of you have some opportunities to get out.

drover

PhilKeil, Idaho-45, mikeinct and 9 others like this.
  2. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERSE 15 Silver $$ Contributor

SOUNDS LIKE YA'LL HAD A GREAT SHOOT KEEP IT UP :D:D

mikeinct likes this.
  3. ARW

ARW Silver $$ Contributor

Man, that's a lot of shooting! I've got 2 groundhogs this year so far and thought I was doing good, lol.

4. 46and2

46and2

223rem? What rifles are y'all shooting?

5. drover

drover

Mostly 22 lr with and a few 17 HMR, I usually limit myself to 50 rounds of 17 HMR because at .20 cents per shot it gets expensive to shoot continuously.

drover

6. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

I'm green with envy. Enjoy.

7. A_Gamehog

A_Gamehog

Drover, I was reading that you must use lead free ammo in the entire state. It was enacted July-2019. Is that still true. Not just in the Condor range but the entire State

The lead ammo ban kicks in this year before the fall hunting season.
    As a reminder to anyone hunting in California this year, the state's full lead ammunition ban took effect July 1, 2019.

California's lead ammo ban, which was officially signed as a new law in 2013, required the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) to build up to a full prohibition. It will now be ramped up to include all hunting in the entire State.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Non...w-will-wildlife-officers-check-for-compliance

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. BAM

BAM Silver $$ Contributor

"Drover, I was reading that you must use lead free ammo in the entire state. It was enacted July-2019. Is that still true. Not just in the Condor range but the entire State"

I think he lives in Idaho

9. A_Gamehog

A_Gamehog

My bad

10. MTlager

MTlager Gold $$ Contributor

Myself and a few friends, dasher and 22 ppc went out this morning to practice some self distancing with the gophers. Birds not going hungry for awhile!

Attached Files:

Rustytigwire and Mark W like this.
  11. Idaho-45

Idaho-45

Drover, Green with envy here @ the other end (northern) end of Idaho!!!!!! Keep up with the Quarantining!!!!

12. drover

drover

Idaho-45,

Thanks. We had another good day, it was up to 60 and sunny so we went out this afternoon and between the two of us got 167 in aboiut 2 1/2 hours. The really good part of is that the Ranch manager saw us and came over to tell us of another field that has been getting infested the last couple of years. It looks like our weather is going to cool for the next few days so that will put a damper on things but in a week or so it will warm up again and then I will be back at them.

drover

Idaho-45 likes this.
  13. tsyarnall

tsyarnall Gold $$ Contributor

Get some for me