seating die ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by rebs, Jun 25, 2019.

1. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

Does the Hornady 223 seating die seat by the bullet point or by the ogive ?

mr.big likes this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Youll just have to check it out yourself. Every die and bullet combo is different

3. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

As mentioned check out the die you have, but most do seat by the ogive, however some to by bullet tip/head.

4. David101

David101

I would say most seat by the tip. Even the Redding competition seater with VLD inserts doesn't really seat on the ogive. It doesn't hit the tip but is not really wide enough to seat low down where the ogive is. It gets about half way IMHO.

I have a Hornady 223 seating die and most projectiles in the higher weight range and pointy tiped will hit while the more round nose bullets wont. Take the seater out and try it on a projectile and see if it seats around the edge or is able to wobble about on its tip.

Bc'z, CaptainMal and Mark W like this.
  5. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Unless you have a seating stem for your particular bullet, the answer is probably "neither". The non-custom stems will normally just hit somewhere on the bullet taper/ogive - past the back of the ogive and maybe keep off the tip so it is not deformed. The measurement you get is relative to that stem and the bullet design. It is not a standard.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

Lots of misinformation here.

The ogive of a bullet is the entire curve from the point where the curve begins (which is what many call the ogive) all the way to the tip.

No seater should seat off the tip. Not only would that damage the bullet but there would be no way to get consistent seating depth.

The seater stem should not touch the tip of.the bullet but catch the ogive somewhere along.its curve. Take the stem out and check fit on a bullet. If it is touching the tip before bearing on the curve of the bullet you have two choices. Either order a.vld seater stem or take a drill and create a larger hollow for the tip to fit into.

Barlow, PatMiles, Texas10 and 9 others like this.
  7. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^^ +1 ..... agree 100%

If I had a seater that seated off the tip, it or it's culprit stem would be down the road fast.
    If someone has one that seats off the tips, it needs updating for those bullets types.
    No seater die I ever heard of, were ever purposely designed to seat from the tips.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. David101

David101

I think the Lee seating dies may be designed to seat off the tip. I thought that is why they called them dead length seating dies. I know I have had to modify all the Lee seating stems that I have purchased.

9. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

@David101
    Did a quick search on Lee's website and found this description and information to there seating dies:

"The Bullet Seating die is equipped with a floating bullet seating plug for maximum accuracy. It is designed to seat all shapes of bullets with minimum deformation. If you attempt to compress the charge, it may deform the bullet an objectionable amount. It will be necessary to modify the bullet seating punch to fit the bullet. If unable to do it yourself or have it done locally, we can do it for you. Send $14.00 along with a sample bullet, and order “Custom Seating Plug for Sample Bullet” ($8.00 for the bullet + $6.00 for shipping)."

With that, it is obvious to me they do not design them to seat from the tips.

SPJ, Texas10 and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  10. David101

David101

Thats interesting because I sent them an email last year about VLD stems and the answer was No and that service was not available. Perhaps they have listened to their customers.

As Feedback for future products or accessories to them could I suggest VLD
    type seating stems be made available as an accessory to the seating dies.
    Also mandrels for both the full length size and the Neck Collet die with the
    dimensions for small primer flash holes. Less than 1.5mm

The Bullet Seater Plug that comes with the die set is as close to generic as we can make it. Due to the amount of bullets available on the market, we have no plans to introduce different Plugs for each bullet.

We do not produce a smaller diameter Decapping Pin, and have no plans to introduce one.
    Our Decapping Pins are .062" in diameter, which is the standard flash hole diameter of most ammunition cases made both in the United States and foreign countries. The undersized flash hole should be enlarged with one of the commercial flash hole uniformers. Or use a 1/16 (1.6mm) drill. Uniform flash holes are helpful to uniform ignition.
    If on the other hand you choose to retain the undersized flash hole in your cases, you can put your Decapping Rod in a drill and polish down the diameter of the Pin using a fine grit emery paper. This will weaken the pin and you may find that it will break when you decap fired cases.

Dont get me wrong I really like Lee stuff and they have sent me new items if I have had a breakage. The customer support has been great.

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Just goes to show how far out of touch they are. Like its a mfr defect to have a small flash hole. They still pack their seatbelts down under the seat so nobody gets hurt.

12. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

If you upgrade your dies just a little, you'll find decapping pins that fit 1.5mm flash holes, seater stems that fit VLD bullets, and other niceties from Customer Service like free of charge including shipping.

dmoran likes this.
  13. David101

David101

Why would I drill out small flash holes. I paid a premium to get them and the SR primers in the first place. Yes they don't seem to be addressing that side of the market.