Scrap brass ...again

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by bobm, Dec 12, 2019.

1. bobm

bobm Silver $$ Contributor

Dropped off 120 lbs. yesterday and got a lousy $1.31 lb. Whatcha gonna do. Paid for my recent HN .22 pellet order and lunch for two at the Chinese place next to the scrap yard.

Zero333 and LonewolfMcquade like this.
  2. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, market is down. Since you posted originally I have received just about $350 this year doing nothing but policing brass that everyone else was supposed to but never do. Our gain.

Twicepop likes this.
  3. gman47564

gman47564

I took a bucket full to the scrape yard awhile back... thinkin daddy's gonna get a pile of cash... got 12 dollars...lol

Zero333, joshb and LonewolfMcquade like this.
  4. LonewolfMcquade

LonewolfMcquade

Wow! Thought Screenshot_20191212-180127.jpg brass was up higher than that

5. bobm

LonewolfMcquade likes this.
  6. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Had some free time at work. 2 employees load and haul off 4900 pounds scrap steel. $137.
    Minus 4 hrs wages of course.
    Still first world blessings.

Dusty Stevens and topclass2017 like this.
  7. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

So now I know what happened to my and Allen's Brass :rolleyes:

8. Defty

Defty

I have a large plastic pickle jar next o my reloading bench. For ALL spent primers, damaged brass and range pick-ups go into it.
    Took to scrap yard got a couple dollars. MORE THE if I'ld thrown them away.
    I guess you could say I'm a MINI tree hugger, Saving the land fill.

Rustytigwire likes this.
  9. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Gold $$ Contributor

Well that’s a bummer. I remember scrapping copper at three bucks a pound. I’m a plumber and have eight years of copper and brass saved up. I guess I’ll sit on it a little longer.

corsair4360, Zero333, foxguy and 2 others like this.
  10. JMayo

JMayo

The fuel burned to "save the world" far exceeds the amount of saving being done.

Garbage can ....

11. AJC

AJC

I bet you could get more than that for the people that are home smelting for projects

12. Monte F

Monte F Silver $$ Contributor

Got $25 for a flatbed truck load of scrap furnaces and A/Cs plus $62 for six copper/aluminum coils two days ago. Summers I can get several hundred for coils and tubing. Brass and motors get a few bucks more.:)

13. SEM

SEM Silver $$ Contributor

At my shop I Have a local scrap guy visit several times a year, give all the scrap to him he cleans it up and gets some money, I don't have to store it till it gets a better price load it or clean it, worth every penny...

14. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

On the bright side of this is you don't have to worry to much about someone stealing your A/C unit for the copper!! :rolleyes:

NikNak likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Scrap prices may be going up- they have started breaking into substations and stealing grounds again. I like it when they steal the copper coated steel ones we use now

hogpatrol and Shooter13 like this.
  16. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Gold $$ Contributor

I saw the motor of a bashed up garbage disposal once. I decided to start saving those up for scrap. I had my nephew help fill my small trailer with them (just to give him a chance to earn a few bucks. He was 9 at the time). When pulling the trailer from the back gate to the street, both tires walked off the rims. I got both replaced, along with the spare. We got to the scrap yard and found out that wire is copper plated aluminum. After paying my nephew and replacing three tires, I lost 12 bucks on that trip.

bobm and SEM like this.
  17. bobm

I found one of those 8 ft. ground rods on a dirt road, must have fell off a truck. Thought I hit pay dirt. Twenty miles home with it hanging out my window to discover a magnet stuck to it.

This is what I have been doing with my last three trips to the scrap yard. Exchanging brass for .22 cal. lead.;) Out of habit I got another 1.5 gallons of brass yesterday.

DSC03864.JPG

18. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

in Wichita Kansas the idiots were ripping ac condensers off the side of houses for the copper in the condenser coils And a lot of them were newer micro channel all aluminum coiled condensers which aren’t worth crap. I guess that’s why they are thieves. They are to lazy to look into what they are stealing.

Dusty Stevens likes this.