Scope testing

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Alex Wheeler, Jun 10, 2017.

1. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Received a couple sightrons to add to the data collection. Should be able to get out fairly soon with them.

If anyone has any "adjustable" bases or rings in 30 mm, I would sure like to test them. I have 3 30mm scopes that are rock solid, and would like to know more about some of these ELR adjustable mounts. I would like to put a know solid scope on them and test the mounts themselves for POA rigidity. PM me if you have any, if rings they have to be 30mm. I have on hand a "cold shot" 150 moa base, so that one is covered.

Tom

bpmoss1, milanuk and dmoran like this.
  2. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

20180114_112144.jpg

These both had 1/4 moa clicks, so was hard to center exactly. Both looked good.

Ledd Slinger, bpmoss1 and thekriebles like this.
  3. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Those are solid!
    Did the second one move poi when you changed power? Thats a big deal for the guys that what to change power during a string.

4. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

I didn't try as it max at 32x.

5. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

An aspect to all these tests that I am pleased to see, is how well several of the more affordable lower priced scopes are holding POI. I've always said, I would quit if I had to spend more then $1500 on a scope to be competitive. The repeated results of the NF-BR, Vortex GE, and Sightron S3, sits well to me and my own criteria.

And again Thanks for sharing your results @tom !.!.!
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    seymour fish and bpmoss1 like this.
  6. retired

retired

alex...
    do not shoot me.
    i read the first and last page,
    what gun/cartridge are you testing with ?
    what distance.
    thanks and thanks for the work.

7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I used a 6br with 60 grain bullets. Tom is using a 6bra. The bullets dont even hit the paper, they just provide recoil to jar the scopes in a realistic way.

8. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

@tom @Alex Wheeler ,

With all the scopes tested, I understand that they were mounted, zeroed, and tested.

For the scopes like the Sightron 10-50 that ONLY moved after the first shot then remained solid, would this occur every time the turrets are adjusted? Or is this first shot movement due to the scope/rings settling in on the first recoil force applied to the optic?
    It would be interesting to see if this first shot POI shift occurred EVERY time the turrets were moved a few clicks and brought back to zero. I think this would definitively clarify whether the cause of POI shift was due to internal optic mechanical issues or scope rings.

Perhaps adjust 1 MOA and back to zero then fire 5 shots and repeat for confimation. Would be nice to know if this POI shift on the Sightron 10-50 is an issue to be concerned with every time the turrets are adjusted or if this is a one time issue when the scope is first mounted on the rifle. Thanks.

*Obviously scopes like the NF Comp and some others have internal mechanical issues so there is no question there.

9. Jet

Jet Rich Jette Gold $$ Contributor

Tom

Are the Sightrons new or have they been used for awhile?

Rich

10. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

These were used, and one was bought used here prior to being more used lol. I think he said the 10-50 was like $6xx.xx on the classifieds here:eek:

Tom

Jet likes this.
  11. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

It's why I find them "okay" for the intended use. There very well could be a settling, however I've never seen settling with any kahles, most "old model" marches.....etc. Even though I keep reusing the same two pair of nf ultralight rings. I probably should retest some of the previously tested comps and highmasters, as I am getting quite good at mounting scopes now LMAO!

If a guy wants to know more, like for a hunting scope, yes I would recommend doing some "exercises" with it until satisfied.

Tom

kneedtospeed likes this.
  12. Ledd Slinger

Yeah I would think hunting scopes would definitely be worth testing because they would definitely be subjected to more turret adjustments and more recoil than a 6BR variant with 60gr bullets could generate.

The fact that ANY of these scopes move zero POI with such a small amount of recoil is pretty sad, especially when you look at some of the price tags. Prior to seeing these latest test results, I would have wagered that cheaper optics would give much more negative results, but the Sightrons are quite a bit cheaper than most of the scopes tested here so I have to throw that theory out the window ;)

thekriebles, dmoran and group therapy like this.
  13. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@Ledd Slinger
    Almost have to believe the noise harmonics is more probable to be the cause then the recoil. If you read back in Alex's test where he shot a pistol next to the scopes being tested and got POI shift from culprits. And @Jet did his first ones from a rail-gun that would have substantially quashed recoil.
    Just saying.....
    Donovan

14. LHSmith

LHSmith

I was under the impression from this thread that evaluation of low power scopes (< 35x) is impractical due to insufficient resolution.

Ledd Slinger and tom like this.
  15. Ledd Slinger

Yeah i re-read that before posting about making turret adjustments while testing just to make sure it wasn't included in previous tests.

Perhaps I should have used the word that the optics manufacturers use..."Shock".
    There will always be percussion forces on the scope from the blast wave. A 44 mag has pretty good muzzle blast, but still not what is produced from a large caliber hunting rifle. The hunting rifle scopes would be subjected to higher levels of percussion as well as increased recoil movement. More possible disruption to the optic in all forms. Although 50 BMG rifle recoil can be tamed to where an adolescent shooter can handle recoil, many cheap optics fall apart due to the blast wave from the muzzle.

I think it would be interesting to see if these same scopes were tested on a 7mm SAUM, 30 Nosler, or some other large 338 cal rifle. I would imagine the POI shifts would be more drastic. But who knows, maybe not.

My concern for testing on a more abusive rifle caliber is because these are the optics I'm looking at for using on a rifle at the 2K ELR match @Alex Wheeler is proposing. High magnification scopes will be needed for accuracy at 2K and these small POI shifts between shots will equate to many feet difference on impacts at 2K

dmoran and bpmoss1 like this.
  16. bpmoss1

bpmoss1 Silver $$ Contributor

Maybe @tom will test his k1050 on his cheytac

kneedtospeed likes this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

Test em ALL on that beast! ;)

...well maybe not the NF Comp. It might crumble into dust...