Scope looks foggie

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by wanttobe, Aug 2, 2018.

1. wanttobe

wanttobe

Has anyone had any issues with a scope appearing to be foggie when viewing the target? I have three of the same scopes in 20x42 fixed and the newest one is not clear when viewing over a 100 yds on a over cast day. All three are on rifles with Bi-Pods and I can compare each at the same time without having to move either. Two are very clear out to inf. the other is so bad that the fog will blot out a 1 inch dot at 100 yds. If comparing them in bright sun light it is not as bad. I called where I had purchased it yesterday and they said they would take a look for the cause and that they have had no other issues like this. what do other think?

2. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Send it back. In all likelihood a seal’s failed somewhere, you’ve got air inside & humidity that’s not gonna get out by any means you have.

3. wanttobe

wanttobe

Thanks for the thought SP. I think that I can recall an old scope that had lost it seal, could be just not sure. I UPS It out today, hope that they will not give me alot of BS an repair or replace for its only 8 month old and I was told when I purchased that they stand behind all their scope.

4. wanttobe

wanttobe

Also I forgot to say that the reticle always stay clear even when the fog blots out the target dot.

5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

So the leaky section’s in front of where reticle lives.

6. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Scope manufacturer?

7. wanttobe

wanttobe

The brand is SWFA. I don't wish to say anything bad about the brand for I have three of their products and they have serve me well and I feel they will find the problem.

8. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

They have the "4 Life" warranty. They'll take care of you.

9. tonyb

tonyb Silver $$ Contributor

Last one of those I looked through amazed me on how crisp and clear it was. Yep, send it in, they will take care of you.

Tony.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  10. #40Fan

#40Fan

I have a few of those 20x scopes and had the same issue with one of them. Got fixed up without an issue. They just sent me a new one instead of repairing it. Came back in an original box wrapped up like a new one would.

Excellent scopes for the money. I even have one mounted on my BMG.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  11. wanttobe

wanttobe

I am glad to hear someone else has had this problem and that they replaced the scope.I was begin to think that it was just me with some of the answer and comments I was getting from others. Did they say what was causing that to happen by chance? Also what was the turn around time if you recall?

12. wanttobe

wanttobe

40 Fan what was the turn around time on that replacement? Short I hope.

13. #40Fan

#40Fan

I don't remember. It was a long time ago.

14. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I had a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50. The glass was fantastic for its price point. They have a good warranty as well. You should be taken care of.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  15. wanttobe

wanttobe

Well we can forget that question. Swfa received the scope on Tues the 7 and I received it back today. Just got it and It appears to be a new on in the box. Will get it mounted tomorrow and let all know how it works. If this scope work as my other two I can not believe the top notch service from SWFA, I had spoke with a rep by the name ,Skylar who said return. Thanks for all the comments and thanks to SWFA.

Dgd6mm and #40Fan like this.
  16. #40Fan

#40Fan

That was quick!!

Dgd6mm likes this.
  17. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I have heard many good things about the SWFA line of scopes. Good to know that they have excellent customer service as well. :D

Paul