Scope Checker/ "Bad" Scopes

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by linekin, Oct 12, 2018.

1. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

I'm pretty new to cfbr having only shot 2 seasons. Still getting my feet under me so to speak. I shoot short range score in the NE. My main question pertains to "bad" scopes & how far out the shots are.
    I ask this because in my 2 years I cannot say that any of the shots I've missed is due to my scope. They've all been me missing a condition change. Or at least I think so.

Keith

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

That all depends on the scope. Some go alot and some only move a little. Some settle after a shot or two and some don't. Some only go 1/8 inch and some go more. Unless you are always shooting one hole, you never know. Matt

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  3. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

If you are referring to the comments regarding the "scope checkers" and the results they posted, I believe them, but I do not think it a problem for me. I am not surprised that there was some movement for the 1st or 2nd shot. In my experience of 40 years orf engineering and manufacturing, cycling through the range to "settle" the test equipment before running the test is normal.
    Like you said, I am not at a skill level that can detect a small zero shift, so I am not concerned. As to the suggestion that the Nightforce Competition 15 -55 has a problem, I cannot argue with those who sent them back and had them repaired, but I am planning to buy one for an upcoming rifle build.
    Here is the results for the 2018 IBS 600 yard Nationals, scroll to the bottom to see the equipment lists and look at the scopes that these championship level people are using.
    https://internationalbenchrest.com/app/ibs/files-module/local/documents/2018 600 Yard Nationals BRRC St Louis 1006.pdf

4. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

NDAR15MAN likes this.
  5. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

I guess I need to do some testing as opposed to just shooting matches. I've been shooting rimfire br for a while & had come to the conclusion that testing was pointless.
    This cf deal is different, & feel like I should be testing, especially where I'm new to it. I just don't want to look for a problem that may or may not exist.
    Thanks for the responses.

Keith

6. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

As it is with a lot of things, there guessing, and/or hoping, and there is knowing.

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Lots that shoot score are clickers- thats where more of the bad scopes show up.