School me on custom rimfire actions

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by bichettereds, Feb 17, 2019.

1. JMayo

JMayo

Love my xiii, many do. I would grab it quick.
    More time tested than the 2500 ....

2. Tim s

Tim s

Well here is a great example.
    Myself, I shoot both the 2 lug and the 3 lug however neither one of which as it came from the maker, the 3 lug having extensive mods.
    The 2 lug had fair amount done to the the bolt that Gordon Eck said was absolutely required and I trust him absolutely. The gun was built with a bbl supplied by me and has been a great shooter.
    The 3 lug was bought with few rounds andbuilt by Mark Penrod with an extensively modified bolt, shoots very well.
    I have no experience/opinions on the potential of a box stock version but again, complete confidence in the guys that built both my guns.
    I shoot other 10 1/2lb. guns as well as sporters but these 2 are pretty damn good IMHO.
    If pressed, I would tell you these actions have great potential but require blueprinting and you had better make damn sure it is done by somebody with required skillset.

3. Wild Willy

Wild Willy Silver $$ Contributor

Some of the particulars are:

"Jewel trigger, TM stock bedded by Tom Meredith, 9 or 10 K rounds through a Shilen ratchet barrel, smithed with a very tight barrel. Comes with bore guide"

I'm thinking that this would be quite the starter rifle for a beginner in this discipline, does the majority agree?

4. Tim s

Tim s

Shilen ratchets do not come in a “ very tight” variety.
    I’d be very surprised if it is smaller than .2180” or .2175” in the bore.
    Buying from a HOF guy is less important than who made it, and when.

5. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

As in most of the BR shooting sports, the shooter is one of the most important components of the sport. There are 5-7 ARA/PSL shooters that consistently win most of the shoots. Same as CF....how good are your wind reading & bench set up skills?
    Ben

Acyr likes this.
  6. Wild Willy

I consider myself an above average shot. I've been competing benchrest the last 2 years at 1000 & 600. Working on my wind reading and figured that ARA matches will help with that. Did manage to shoot the highest 1000yd target of the season at our range last year, a 3.026" 50-3x. All this with a bone stock Savage f-class in 6br wearing a $300 scope on a homemade rest. 20180317_132732.jpg

BenPerfected likes this.
  7. Wild Willy

And sorry about any thread hijacking...

8. JMayo

JMayo

I have no idea if my xiii had "work done"
    Can't imagine what that actually means.

I think the builder's reputation is allot.
    If I were looking, the add posted would get my attention and if priced right for me I'd get it. Be prepared to rebarrel if ya can't get it to shoot.
    They don't sale the best they have. Barrels are the culprit most of the time when all else is reputable.

Wild Willy and BenPerfected like this.