***Scam Alert***

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by mavrickarcher, Mar 24, 2019.

1. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 Gold $$ Contributor

I know we probably don't need a bunch of "piling on" with all that has already been said.
    But after reading the initial post last night, concerning this guy, I went and did one of the things that I always do before I deal with someone of unknown character.

I read a number of his posts, and he immediately seemed "thin and veiled." In one thread he jumped into a conversation about a higher end rifle and showed some ignorance very quickly, when questioned he never responded.

Many of his posts we're simply one line B.S.
    "You live in heaven." Or "great gun." That kind of stuff sends up red flags for me.

Sorry people got taken by this joker, but the internet is a "bad part of town," put your wallet in your front pocket and keep your hand on it.

outasite`08, piute, DHuffman and 5 others like this.
  2. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

I have thought the same thing. When they give little one word replies with nothing else, I think it is just to up their post count to make themselves look better on a forum.

mikeinct, pirate ammo and Bc'z like this.
  3. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I got a 7 on trader history and 1850 post, trust me you'll be alright,,maybe.

Peebles24 and 6ShotsOr5? like this.
  4. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

There must be someway when a person sets up an account certain information is requested and must be verified before the person can interact or sell. There should be a minimum of 50 posts before someone is allowed to sell. Something has to be dome when an account is initially set up, some way of verifying the person is who he says he is and the address and other infomation must be verified. Just my thought

5. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

I now check the location and email status of everyone who signs up. That sometimes takes an hour a day. It’s not foolproof, but it helps.

We also have a block which prevents people from posting ads right after they sign up.

One further option is to limit classifieds posting to Paying members only.

boltfluter, foxguy, okie and 13 others like this.
  6. fyrewall

fyrewall

Could it be that selling/buying is like swimming with sharks. In my ideal situation I would require a driver license copy, valid email address, valid telephone number - all to be verified before allowing sellers to list stuff. Businesses that use credit cards undergo all sorts of safety checks and some semblance of that should be required for transactions here. I would also request a small amount for a processing fee/cash bond, like $25 to be paid prior to listing - this would be refunded after a certain amount of happy transactions. There seems to be a pattern of sleazy behavior that jumps from place to place by fakes.

joshb likes this.
  7. BOLTED

BOLTED Silver $$ Contributor

I for one am nervous about giving any site, even this one my email, address, telephone number AND a copy of my drivers license. It seems that everyone gets hacked at some point, and all of that just to sell something on the internet seems risky. I still like the days of paper, someone would need a bus, 4 guys and a week to load up everyone's info from the file cabinets.

8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Different perspective here, probably because I'm old enough to know better. Regardless of what the owners of the site do to save you from yourself, if you take the pipe on a transaction with someone with no trade history on a Want To Buy ad, from an unknown seller in another time zone or state, through the internet, without due diligence, you're probably a person who only learns the hard way. Hopefully you will have learned a lesson.

9. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

One further option is to limit classifieds posting to Paying members only.[/QUOTE]
    That's the best idea I've heard lately.

dogdude, DHuffman, Bc'z and 2 others like this.
  10. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

It’s not the forum boss’s job to police the classified ads. Some common sense will keep you reasonably safe. Forum boss has posted some solid advice on how not to get ripped off. We don’t need more rules just for members to use good judgment. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Don’t let greed cloud your judgement.

New Gun, Lone Hunter, Evan and 9 others like this.
  11. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Your only real contact is with the brother in law. Push him for information. THe guys real name his address, etc. He's your only hope to getting your money.

Lone Hunter likes this.
  12. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the effort ! It’s really more than I expect from you. You’ve posted solid advice on how not to get ripped off and if membership would follow it there would be a lot fewer victims.

hpshooter and mikeinct like this.
  13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Get a fresh pic of anything before you buy

14. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Lets say a guy walks up to me on the street and offers me a rifle that makes my mouth water. He doesn't have it with him, but his description is so tempting and the price is so cheap! I can't resist, but for fun, I dicker and he comes down! He says meet him at an appointed time and place and he will deliver it so I reach in my pocket and pay up. I am so excited.

How many times would any of you do that?
    Gunbroker even recommends using an escrow.
    That's why I can only shake my head when I see one of these posts.
    There are options.

Snuggie, tmwinds and hogpatrol like this.
  15. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Bottom line: even that won’t work.

A few years ago a fella walked into a Chase Bank in Houston and took out a loan for $22k using all of the things you listed.

One problem. It was my info, not his. He had a DL with all of my info except for the photo of course. DL number, SSN, etc.

Because my credit score is in the mid 800’s they were happy to lend him (me?) the money.

I found out about it when I started getting calls from collection agencies. The hoops I had to jump through to prove I was me and not him was a real pain in the ass.

The sad part is they will never get this guy any more than the guy that ripped off the OP. There’s too much of this going on and too few LE’s working on it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  16. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

Again my $0.02. Boss has all the info and the brains and responsibility to keep this place running. He is in the best position to know if a paying member only classified is feasible. Being in the unknown I don't see why not. Why allow any scammer to come in and hit the place like a liquor store robber ? If you only come here to sell, well, you may have to go somewhere else. All the members that are truly in the sport or the thirst for knowledge can wait to sell something, surely. Just my opinion.

New Gun and Bc'z like this.
  17. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Yes we can limit Classifieds to paying members only. But that may not eliminate the issue. We've seen guys who lurk for months, and then they try to spring one big fake sale -- usually a scope, because no FFL involved. If the guy can make $1000+ from a fraud, he might be willing to pay $20.00.

The other issue is that guys have been taken by offers made OUTSIDE the classifieds by PMs (private messages). It is virtually impossible to control PMs.

Honestly guys, look for trader feedback. Seek references. Do google searches on the sellers. Use Spokeo.com to background check on email addresses and locations. Consider escrow services. And ask for the custom photos. If a guy has a new $3200 ATACR scope he's selling for $1500.00 ask him to take a photo of the scope with today's newspaper, with a baseball hat on top. You can also ask for a picture of the serial number. If the seller doesn't have the item he can't give you those photos, and he will disappear.

BIGGER ISSUE: For something like a scope, which carries a lifetime warranty, and could serve you for decades, is it worth taking the risk to buy used (from a total stranger) to only save perhaps $300 over new?

Maybe not. Amortize that $300 over ten years.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    New Gun, geo.ulrich, Snuggie and 5 others like this.
  18. drcook

drcook

As said above, if a Postal Money has been used to pay for a scam, then the Post Master General needs to be involved. Years ago I was scammed on eBay and never received the goods. I filed a complaint with the PMG and not too long afterwards, the goods showed up at my place. It sure looked like the people went and bought new to send to me.

There is a database that can be used to lookup if a PMO has been cashed and where it was cashed at (if I remember correctly).

Use all tools available to recover money.

Rustytigwire and Snuggie like this.
  19. Catfur

Catfur Silver $$ Contributor

USPS ain't got time for dat s.

Seriously, they are too busy stuffing your mailbox full of loose leaf flyers. And the postal inspector is too busy refusing to read the postal regs on shipping firearms and denying customers legitimate service they are legally obligated to provide.

hpshooter likes this.
  20. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

If you look at the For Sale and Optics this AM the first 4 big $$ item sellers all have a history. The means to protect yourself is right there. Take a look.