***Scam Alert***

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by mavrickarcher, Mar 24, 2019.

1. mavrickarcher

mavrickarcher

I was contacted by “Lannister” via PM.

Lannister: “I have another NF atacr for sale, I was hoping to sell the other and keep this one but something came up it has to go. I know you are looking for one so I am just asking to know.”

After some back and forth, him not taking PayPal, area code says central Texas, when told him I could meet to pickup the scope he told me he was in Arkansas.

Then doing a photo search on google I found this https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/nightforce-atacr-5-25x54mm-zero-stop-moar.195592/ now he may have bought it in 2015 and trying to sell it using the same pictures.

Everything just seemed to good to be true. I hope I am wrong and would buy the scope in a heart beat but it just seems wrong, scope was never posted for sale publicly on this site.

fyrewall likes this.
  2. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

WALK away

billlarson and DirtySteve like this.
  3. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

Well, He agreed to sell me an ATACR and gave me specific instructions to send a Postal MO. I sent 1,500.00 and it arrived last Monday. I believe his brother-in-law received it and called me and said he didn't have a scope and he didn't think his brother-in-law had one either. After several text back and forth, he said he had turned the money over to the authorities and they would contact me before the weekend. The weekend has passed and nothing. As soon as I agreed to buy the scope, the add was erased from the optics sale section. I am probably out 1,500.00. The address was in Sandy Utah... George

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Oh man that sucks

5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
  6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

SMH at this.

7. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

Trader History "0". Same as me.

8. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

Where I come from that is more like $2000. I really feel for you. Is there nothing that you can do

9. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Tell him "Send it to me, I'll look it over and if I like it I'll send the $$".;)

mikeinct and Ggmac like this.
  10. fyrewall

fyrewall

Sounds like Mail Fraud - "any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme", "mail, telephone or internet use of the U.S. Mail is what makes it mail fraud". In addition, a USPS money order was used and that money order was sent to person(s) via the U.S. Mail with an expectation of something that never happened.

Apparently, a U.S. Postal Money Order for $1,500 was used and that money order was sent using the USPS to the person(s) for merchandise that never was sent. The USPS should have a record of the USPS money order like number, amount, and name and hopefully you retained a receipt copy of the money order. Fraud involving merchandise or services. The USPS should be able to track the money order to a bank and that might cause more problems.

This might help - file a complaint. Should the response from the USPS be weak contact your U.S. Congress Rep. Get screen shots of this guy's activity on the web for the Postal Inspector. The USPS probably won't be able to extract your $1,500 but any info from an investigation provided to LE might.

https://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/MailFraud.aspx

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    geo.ulrich, msinc and Bc'z like this.
  11. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

OK guys -- this is not looking good.

Lannister given name listed in our Database is "Michael Thip"
    However, background search shows no Michael Thip in Texas, Utah, or Arkansas.
    ZERO Trader History

IP (computer address) history shows 30+ IPs from many states as well as overseas. Sign-up (first) IP was Indiana. But it appears the guy is using a VPN.
    He joined in August 2018 which is right before I started vetting every sign up.

Last IP was Houston TX at 209.107.216.169

His current listed eMail is bofffycatie@gmail.com

That eMail is coming up with nothing on our email Spokeo trace search. Drawing a "blank" on Spokeo itself is VERY suspicious.

A Google search on that email shows reports of scams from:

Sig Forum
    Forums.gunboards.com
    24 hour campfire
    CalGuns.net

Note to users. I was able to get these scam reports within seconds using Google.

I am very sorry for any party who was defrauded.

But please, please, for the Nth Time Read This. Then Read it Again. Then write it Down. And NEVER FORGET IT!!!!!!

NEVER EVER EVER spend big money for something when:

-- There is ZERO positive Trader History
    -- You haven't talked to the individual personally on the telephone. NO VOICE CALL, NO DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -- You haven't requested a custom photo of the product (e.g. ask him to tie a red ribbon around the scope, or stand the box up with a hat on top)
    -- You haven't done a google search for the person's name and email
    -- You haven't tracked the mail-to location to a real house on a real street.

Also be suspicious when you receive offers via PM!

Here is information from other site posts:

"Looks like I got scammed by David Sawyer using Bonnie Cooper 108 Elmhurst Dr Lockport, NY. He last used bofffycatie@gmail.com when people sent money to David Sawyer in TX. Hoping I can get Bonnie Cooper as part of it I found her Facebook and her mom's, dad, kids, ex info. I think her ex Chris Cooper in Houston TX maybe behind this. The newest email is nickmcflash@gmail.com.
    Going to call postal inspector, lockport PD, ATF, FBI, NJSP, NYSP. I am relentless and I will not let this go. Does anyone know how this scam works with the different names and addresses. Both addresses turned out to be trailer parks."

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=21561292&styleid=6&styleid=6

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5490062244/p/4

12. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Guys, I will do what I can to chase this down. But it looks like he has been lurking here for a while waiting to strike.

I have, multiple times, tried to tell Forum members how to product yourselves. But honestly it all starts with good judgment. NO honest person is going to sell a 5-25 NF ATACR for HALF the MSRP. C'mon people don't be CRAZY!

I've said it before and I will say it again. Don't pay more than $200 unless you:

1. Talk to the seller on the Telephone!!!!!!!! ALWAYS!!!

2. Tell him to take a custom picture of the product -- For example, tie a bow on product, or place it on a top of a lamp -- anything that is unique.

I am going to ban the guy Lannister. But be advised then all members lose the ability to communicate with him via PM. If you need to reach the guy, we have this email: bofffycatie@gmail.com

FYI, there is another legitimate member who used the same IP on Tuesday of this week. That legit member lives in Arlington Texas.

That suggests that Lannister is living and or operating from Texas but using a VPN.

13. fyrewall

fyrewall

"Spoofing" telephone numbers is common. When ever I talk to a unknown caller I tell them I will call back - I have a need to answer unknown calls. Last major spoofed call was VISA credit card fraud. A call back revealed a legit VISA company having the same number but confirmation revealed that they did not make that solicitation call. The spoofed caller ID - "VISA Services" . The bad guy told me he was calling from Florida and was after credit card info to make some big cash credit to my account but the real legit Visa number was in Colorado. The use of a VPN would likely go along with telephone spoofing. Sad to see intelligent use for evil purposes. Stuff like this hurts.

If the number is "spoofed" you can be assured that this is fraud - a real good 1st step. Cashing a fraudulent MO at a bank might constitute "money laundering". Deals between unseen individuals for big money things are very risky. I do scope or other deals of more than $50 with SWFA, I rather eat a few $$ vs. losing $$$$.

Most likely the fraudster will move onto another venue (forum) or morf into another individual.

14. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

The purpose of the call is not just to get a number to trace — though that is important. The purpose is to ask tough questions, detect if the guy actually knows the product as an owner would, and then, of course to ask for the custom photo with the red ribbon. A real scammer will know that his goose is cooked. You can also ask for the guy’s street address and do a search in real time. Ask him to describe his property while you are looking at the actual google street photo.

You can also get a general feel for the guy’s character.

I also want to add that most of the folks who have been scammed have been pretty foolish — pursuing a deal that was way too good to be true.

quest450, D Coots, JBT and 9 others like this.
  15. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Good job by the OP and forum boss.

CT10ring, New Gun and hpshooter like this.
  16. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

Forum Boss, I sent you a pm with some of the information that I have. The guy that identified himself as his brother-in-law did mention a man named" Mike" in one of his text conversations. If I can provide you with any other information, please advise.
    George

47WillysGuy and simo hayha like this.
  17. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is a scam

18. 1holeaddict

1holeaddict Silver $$ Contributor

There was a young kid by the name of Michael from down south who was posting scopes for sale on here. He was using the optics discussion board due to maxing out on non contributor postings in the classifieds.
    He told me that he couldn't send messages through the site and requested my face book messenger info. He was selling an SIII for extremely cheap and wanted instant payment through pay pal. I know that pay pal may refund a buyer if the transaction goes south but who needs the hassle.

19. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

When I feel wary, but just have to give it a try, I use an escrow service. If a seller is not on the up and up, he won't use escrow. It also protects you if there is a return period because the escrow won't release the funds until you say you are satisfied with the item.

Gunbroker suggests Tradiator and I have used them - painless and safe. In fact I used them to buy a Remington 660 in .222 that was pristine. The seller and I were both pleased with the service.

kvd likes this.
  20. dsculley

dsculley

I know you are looking for one so I am just asking to know.”

The way that sentence is written would have told me it is a scam. Just think about how you would have stated that.

muleystalker and Bc'z like this.