Scale or Annealer

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Tpetrat, Jan 31, 2019.

1. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Please, oh please, just shoot me if I EVER take your advice and go down that road! Hell, I'll just shoot myself.:D

2. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

Not really advice, merely an observation.
    It is sad and ironic that those who would likely serve best will be the last to be drawn to the swamp.

3. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I'm curious, what would you spend 2 grand on that would improve one's shooting more so than an annealer and scales?

Tpetrat likes this.
  4. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

A good action, a competent 'smith, a tuner, and some portable reloading gear so you can load at the range. Getting good at tuning is more important than measuring everything as precisely as is possible just because we can. That's my opinion at least.

Edit: I’d throw in some high quality rests/bipod/bags so you can sort out gun handling properly.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    hambone1971 and mikeinct like this.
  5. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

1) Quality rests & bags, so you can fine tune and repeat your rifle position and sight picture.

2) I suggest following damoncali's suggestion of working on the tuning..... sizing of the case, seating depth, primer selection, buy a good caliper and micrometer, case length gage, base to ogive gage. Take data and record it.

3) An A&D 120Fxi with the Autothrower and Autotrickler. This gives you a powder load down to 1 or 2 pieces of Varget, thus completely eliminating the powder load as a questionable source in striving for accuracy. Now repeat 2) above.

4) annealer. I do not think that case life is going to be the determining factor, rather the neck tension consistency, and that may be buried in the effects of the annealer on the friction characteristics of the inside of the neck. Lots of testing may be required to determine the efficiency of the annealer.

6. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

are you shooting a .223 or .308??

7. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

Sort of depends on what size groups you are currently shooting and what improvements on target you expect. Since you aren’t shooting benchrest the need for such accuracy may change quite a bit. As you are just getting started in PRS & F-Class, I doubt your loads are holding you back.

8. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

So in the OP what leads you to believe he doesn't already have these thing covered?

9. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

Scale then Annie annealer. Bargain price for an excellent annealer.

10. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

Nothing. I was just commenting on the relative importance of the items in question. The op said he’s new to f class and PRS, so I though some context would be appropriate.

hambone1971 and rwj like this.
  11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

You should start annealing, just imagine what you would have scored!

12. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I've had the A&D FX120 and auto trickler for a couple of weeks now. Just the elimination of the tedium associated with hand trickling on a GemPro 250 makes the price worth it.

13. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

On the CM if you tune the trickling parameters and install a smaller dispensing tube insert, you can easily achieve +/- .05gr. Problem is it will be considerably slower, but is nearly free. Therefore I generally use a tuned beam with a video monitor, which is very fast and accurate. Point is there are more options.

14. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

120i and Auto Trickler would be my first purchase.

PatMiles likes this.
  15. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

no question Adams autotrickler system

only reason anyone would.say different is they have never used it

PatMiles likes this.
  16. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

17. Baddog0302

Baddog0302 Silver $$ Contributor

Consider a set of check weights to see how accurate your present unit is. How many rounds do you shoot in a week, or a month ?? How much total time do you have to devote to reloading ?
    As to annealing,from the $ 1400.00 AMP to the ones that run $ 500.00 (+-) to the DIY hand drill /socket/ and torch , YOU still have to deal with each case one at a time.

18. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

You can anneal all you want but unless your powder charges are consistent, you'll never get the accuracy you need to get good groups at a longer distance.

Papa Charlie and PatMiles like this.
  19. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

Go with the scale. Maybe just me but I sold my annealer after my scores started going down. And like I said, maybe it's just me and maybe I was doing something wrong but what I do know is that when I got rid of the annealer and dumped all that annealed brass my scores went right back up. Go with the A&D FX-120 auto dispenser and auto trickler and never look back. It takes about 20 seconds to dump an accurate load, really speeds things up.

Darrin

Tpetrat and SPJ like this.
  20. Acyr

Acyr Gold $$ Contributor

I loaded with a Chargemaster 1500 and trickled into a RCBS 1010 for the last 5 years. Took me to LR HM in TR. I recently purchased the A&D FX120i with the auto throw and trickler plus the Area 419 package. The whole kit and caboodle. Is it any more accurate than my previous set up? No. Is it a whole lot easier to throw accurate and consistent charges? You betcha. It makes the loading process simple and dead nuts repeatable. I still anneal on an a simple flame type annealer every 3 times fired. I would take the $1000 you could spend on an Amp and spend it on bullets, brass and powder instead.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Tpetrat, Jdne5b and Puzzaz01 like this.