Scale or Annealer

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Tpetrat, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Tpetrat

Tpetrat

Hello,
    I'm looking for suggestions on either upgrading my scale or purchasing an annealer

Right now I am using the chargemaster 1500 for weighing/throwing charges and am not sure it is accurate enough(+/- .1) for my liking. So I am considering upgrading to the fx 120i(w/auto-throw&trickle), but not sure if that money would be better spent on an annealer(ampv2). I know I will be purchasing both eventually but looking for opinions on what to get first. I'm not a benchrest shooter but just starting to get into prs and fclass. Also I'm not taking into account brass life increase, just looking for accuracy/consistency.

2. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Scale

Tpetrat, corning and rardoin like this.
  3. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Yup....scale.

Tpetrat, seymour fish and mikeinct like this.
  4. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

This ought to be an interesting thread! I’ll vote for adding annealing to your case prep process.

Dennis6299 likes this.
  5. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

Scale, you can use a socket and torch to anneal.

6. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

Scale.

Tpetrat and mikeinct like this.
  7. GSS

GSS

Yes,,,, Agree, Should be interesting.

In addition to advice on which to purchase 1st would be great to see suggested devices.

I'm just a service rifle shooter out to 600 yards so my ammo precision is definitely not my primary cause of not shooting X's...

but I use;

https://annealeez.com/

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-scales/250-precision-scale-prod59271.aspx

8. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Have you checked your throws against another scale? Any other problems with the scale? If no to each question, I would go with the annealer with the thought that once the 1500 gets hinky and RCBS says you are out of warranty, you will be out of luck.

Tpetrat likes this.
  9. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

Scale and MRB Annealer.

Tpetrat, ChadCollins and spclark like this.
  10. hambone1971

hambone1971 Silver $$ Contributor

Redding #2 scale to verify your charges now and then. Even then under throw on RCBS then trickle up to your needs on Redding....HB

Tpetrat likes this.
  11. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

scale.

Tpetrat, seymour fish and mikeinct like this.
  12. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

I have the chargemaster and the older it gets, the less accurate or consistent it is. I bought the A&D 123 Newton and am checking my chargemaster charges on it. If I had to do all over again I'd get the A&D 120 with auto trickler and if my chargemaster quits working that is what I am going to do and sell my Newton. I'm doing an experiment with some federal 308 brass and am on my 6th loading with just a quick twist on the outside neck with steel wool and a quick pass with a spinning nylon brush on the inside of neck and a quick pass on the spinning primer pocket cleaner. Shooting bug holes at 100yds. Have a bench rest buddy that doesnt even know how many times hes shot his 30BR brass, maybe 50 times and has never trimmed or annealed and shoots bug holes. Another bud is a gunsmith and retired F class record holder who full length resizes and anneals after ever firing.

Tpetrat likes this.
  13. Rick300

Rick300 Silver $$ Contributor

My vote would be to get both! You can get a salt bath annealing system for just north of $140 and it does an excellent job. Then you would still have the $ for the FX120i.

oldduc, Ccrider and ED3 like this.
  14. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

The FX120i would be my choice with a Tripp-Lite line conditioner......;)

Regards
    Rick

Tpetrat, seymour fish, nmkid and 4 others like this.
  15. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I’d get the scale. They are really nice units.

But more broadly, there are a lot better ways to spend over two grand (for both items) that will have a bigger impact on your shooting. Those are among the last things I would buy unless money isn’t an issue.

oldduc likes this.
  16. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

If I knew then what I know now, that would be the path I would have taken.

There are many methods to accurately anneal.
    Some faster, more convenient, and costly than others; some cheap, and DIY.

Nothing compares to the precision and speed of the A & D/ auto thrower/ auto trickler system without spending several times the money.
    I cannot imagine the need (or even want) arising to upgrade from this system.

17. sparker

sparker Silver $$ Contributor

I shot a 600-32x at 600yds with 6BRX brass that had been fired more than 12 times without ever being annealed.

Tpetrat, seymour fish, JimSC and 4 others like this.
  18. shooterjon

shooterjon Silver $$ Contributor

CVALE !

I upgraded my scale to a Satorius analitical a couple of years ago and never looked back.Just upgraded to the auto throw and it is fantactic.Got the auto throw from Area 419 they were supprisingly helpful and a pleasure to work with.
    I do have an annealer as well but would go with the scale FIRST,then the annealer as the budget allows.
    Just my humble openion.

Tpetrat likes this.
  19. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Scale then annealer when you can afford it. Buying both now would be the best option though.
    I just love spending other peoples money!

Rushty, mikeinct and rwj like this.
  20. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

You'd be in heaven as a politician.;)

Tpetrat and mikeinct like this.