SB Heavy 10 - Tool Post Question

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by GSPV, Oct 2, 2018.

1. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

My lathe has this 4-way tool post. Would it be worth it, for occasional chambering, to replace it with an Aloris?

Thanks in advance,

Greg J

49B02C92-C3BB-48F9-B6F7-5B1E206F5C21.jpeg

2. 55fairlane

55fairlane

There is nothing wrong with a 4 way block post.....very ridged! An aloris tool post, is worth it, quick fast change over,and also ridged....

My opinion.....start with what ya got, learn to use the machine,before worrying about add ons......

For what it's worth.....A) don't run carbide on those old lathes....the machines were not but to take the high pressures of that tooling....and do a much better job of shimming the tool then this one.....there is no support out under the cutting end....

Learn to bring your own HSS cutters.......if you need, pm me and I will bring up a left hand / facing bit for ya.....

Your machine looks to be in very condition

Aaron

3. GSPV

Thanks Aaron. I had planned to use HSS for all my work except where carbide is required (like the little bit where I want to bore out the shelf in a FL bushing die).

The lathe came with that tool in the holder. It’s beem there for five years. The guy that I bought it from bought it from his work when they closed down. He put it in his garage and never did anything with it.

I just got stinking lucky to get it. :). In the interests of full disclosure, I have been wiping some of the accumulated grime off of it.

I’ll definitely lean on you guys. You’ve been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Greg J

4. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

I can save you a couple hundred. The Phase II is just about the equivalent. Yes Aloris is top of the line, but I have both and can’t tell much difference. On that machine you will need the “AXA” series which ever you decide on. Toll holders are interchangeable between the two.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    ridgeway and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  5. ckaberna

36916677-41E3-4AC2-A201-72739029ED31.jpeg D5B21371-DD77-4B76-BB9E-AEB86411B644.jpeg Be patient and eBay can be your friend.

NickB1075 and ridgeway like this.
  6. GSPV

Thank you for the pointer, I appreciate it! Googled "Aloris Tool Post" today and almost had a heart attack.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  7. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market

Then don't buy a mill! Lol! The mill itself is the cheap part. You can spend $10k pretty easily tooling up a mill. Again, ebay can be your friend there too.

NickB1075 likes this.
  8. 55fairlane

55fairlane

I made an aloris tool post in my apprenticeship.....I still have the drawings around here if you wanna machine up one of tour OWN

A phase 2 just might be the ticket for you.....because of cost.......how ever, I encourage you to learn your lathe on your 4 way post....I have made lots of parts using a 4 way

hpshooter likes this.
  9. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

I read in another post that you want learn as you go with this lathe. I did it the same way years ago with some guidance from some helpful mentors. One of these helpful friends gave me an aloris qc tool post. I can say without hesitation that was the most beneficial thing to help me get good results on the lathe. It simplifies everything. If it is within your means get yourself a qc toolpost and holders, do yourself a favor and do it. I have not tried the imports so I cant speak to the quality. I use mostly import holders check out http://www.cdcotools.com/ for holders and tool posts. You can tune the cheap import holders up a bit if you are so inclined by swapping the screws out with quality replacements still way ahead $$$

10. GSPV

The mill will be a future thing. When I don’t have a kid in medical school ;).

BTW, that Aloris that I almost choked over was $3,000. That’s hard to accept!

11. ridgeway

ridgeway

Catch a MSC coupon and pick up a Phase II and stock up on the $15 eBay holders. For right now, just stick with what you have. Get a few HSS blanks and grind a few tools. Build up as you learn and progress.

12. GSPV

image.png I'm not buying anything until I get power and get it settled in, level, etc. But, is this more like what you guys are talking about? If so, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

ridgeway and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  13. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Yes you don't have to shim the aloris, like you do the 4way

14. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Yes to this

15. ckaberna

My apologies the “AXA” series is what I am using. The originally stated “BXA” may be too big.

16. GSPV

Cool! Even better.

17. dskogman

dskogman Gold $$ Contributor

18. ridgeway

ridgeway

I use AXA on a 12x36. Works perfect....I think the BXA would be a tad too big...

19. GSPV

Good deal! Thanks!

20. NickB1075

NickB1075

I also use AXA size tool post on my heavy 10. I bought a BXA first and it was too big. So I traded it for an AXA and couldn't be any happier with it.

Also stick with name brand. You will be tempted by the nock off stuff but trust me just cry once and get the right one.

Nick