savage recoil lugs symmetry

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by nilebartram, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I can understand your G.S's reluctance to work on a gun he deemed unsafe at any speed. Once he's touched it, he becomes liable for anything that breaks in the future.

Once you own a business working with the general public, you quickly become aware of the risks and responsibilities once money has been exchanged, and it keeps many a businessman awake at night.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Why didnt you just bed it yourself? If you have the skill to install a lug on a barrel and HS right i know you could bed one

3. SG4247

SG4247

And i have - run a business building very on the edge products. Way more dangerous stuff than any 6BR. Yes, I lost sleep at times. Still do.

Not knocking his opinion at all, I agreed to make the changes and respect his concern. My argument was if it was unsafe, the laminate factory stock and screws would have shown signs or cracked long ago. Did I mention it is a 6BR?

just highlighting that the precision recoil lug addition, and all the bedding and pillar work didnt hurt my accuracy - fortunately, but didn't really improve much either.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Mark W and Dusty Stevens like this.
  4. mauser284

mauser284

You take out your granite slab that you use to measure everything on. Well lets skip to some video. I use Scrapping which is a proven machining practice that is a skill that is being lost. I was trained in Germany to be an Automotive Tech. and before specializing in that I also did tool and die and metal working. I had to hand cut a camshaft and had to be able to make a fender for a car with an English Wheel, plinishing hammer, leather bag and hammers for a car. I had to be able to troubleshoot and repair the electronic components in electronic fuel injection of the day. I have made my own steel, designed and cast my own parts in aluminum in college because I could buy what I needed. Every solution does not require NC, CNC and the like or even specialized tools. They are nice to have but not a deal breaker.

dave@aDave, Mark W and Mikey_P like this.
  5. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Salvage threads have entertainment value..

Ray

Drop Port, Dgd6mm and Dusty Stevens like this.
  6. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

What was the OP's subject ? :rolleyes:

Here it is just in case it matters..."Has anyone had problems with the symmetry of a Savage recoil lug? nilebartram

Dgd6mm and damoncali like this.
  7. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I wouldn’t say that....lol. I can assemble properly machined parts all day long whether it an engine or a rifle. I’ve yet to pull off a bedding job that didn’t get buried in the backyard under cover of darkness to insure that it was not seen in my gun room...lmao

8. Mark W

I found the post you’re crying about to be quite interesting. What’s so hard about reading the stuff that interests you and skipping over the rest like most other adults, or is it just more fun to worry about what others do?

9. SG4247

SG4247

Yea but, a mans got to know his limitations. I just never felt comfortable trying to bed and pillar one. Mine need mill work etc..

I can say the bedding job I got, was jam up beautiful. Lug and action fits the stock perfectly.

Does the factory Savage lug generally physically contact the stock or is there a little space in there???

10. Dusty Stevens

If you ever get to arkansas ill show you how. No problems at all

11. Mark W

I do get down that way on occasion since North Louisiana is home. I hunted squirrels with an old boy and his curs out of Pine Bluff last winter and then I stopped by the big buck expo at the Little Rock fairgrounds. Will actually be in Memphis late next week which isn’t far.

12. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I guess I could say the same about you right now ! Go figure...

13. Dusty Stevens

If you ever have time on the weekend to go about 3.5hrs farther west holler at me

Mark W likes this.
  14. mauser284

mauser284

I have no problem with a professional refusing to work on something they think is unsafe. Two fantastic professionals can have two radicly different takes on what is or not safe. At the end of the day with litigation and for lack of a more broad reaching word less specific word "fiduciary" responsibility and possible litigation the risk they feel comfortable shouldering is going to differ! My job in the automotive world was not clear. I had an official job title but that aside I was often called in when the engineers could not get results. That said even I had to refuse to sign off on paper work because I did not feel that what was being done was safe for the people at the plants or for me as a professional or would produce the lasting outcome that was expected from me as a professional! All professionals that are credible will have to face this sort of thing and not all of them will do the right thing! I always ask myself "Would I do this if my mom, dad or children had to use this daily?" and the other question I ask myself is " If this was reported on the news would it bring shame and dishonor to my family name?" if I answer yes to either that is the end of that!

15. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Wow, you really are a legend in your own mind! Lmao! :D:D:p

Paul

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  16. mauser284

mauser284

LOL....No but I do not sit on my hands pining away and thinking that only a mystical gunsmith with the latest greatest CNC equipment can true up a recoil lug.

Knowledge and Skill are powerful tools. You can either learn and do or you can pay someone to do it for you! One way is not any better than the other both are acceptable ways of accomplishing a task. Generally people make excuses about why they can not do something. So nothing wrong with being good at what you do so that you can afford to pay other's with specific skills to do those things you have no interest in doing. On the other hand if you enjoy the process of learning new knowledge and acquiring skills to do things for yourself that is just as legitimate of a pursuit! What I think is sad is when people make excuses and keep putting off till tomorrow and someday comes and goes and they have not made any progress just a pile of excuses. I learned long ago how someday can seem to never come but if you take a step closer to your goal each day you get their in no time and you have the satisfaction of empowering yourself.

It is all about the journey. Do you want to make excuses for why you can not do something or would you rather find a legitimate means to your end goal. Some times you need a special tool or machine and no getting around it but often learning to do more with what you have is also a legitimate decision. CNC and modern machining are built on the backs of GIANTS that used some fairly primitive tools but used them well!

It is always good to know your limits but it is also good to challenge yourself and to step a bit outside your comfort zone from time to time! The difference between a master craftsman and the apprentice is often not down to the tools but ones knowledge, skill and experience. All of my kids think they always need an expert for almost everything and sadly that is not often the case!

Cheers and God Bless!

Mark W likes this.