Savage Precision Target Action

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Webphut, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Bojo

Bojo

Who made your stock ?

Stickler likes this.
  2. sparky123321

sparky123321 Silver $$ Contributor

I make my own stocks.

3. Stickler

Stickler Silver $$ Contributor

Sparky....you and I think alot alike! Also, you make a fine looking stock.

4. Bojo

Bojo

It looks great. Woodworking definitely is not in my wheelhouse. I have a ability to fix broken mechanical things some electrical work and a real good knack for pissing people off with out trying.:D
    Woodworking no...:oops:

Down South likes this.
  5. Webphut

Webphut

Went to sporting goods store and took a look the savages. Going to pass. I think I’m going to wait for a retired custom 6BR Norma to show up on the classifieds.

I’m sure they are every bit as accurate that people say they are, but I’m not sold on the finish. The two I looked at, not 12 BEnchrest or the F class target models, but sporter models both with synthetic stocks. They felt, looked and operated almost like every ounce of natural lubricant has been drawn out of metal. They have a real loose fit with this bead blast finish sprayed over the individual parts. I seen how accurate they are on YouTube and all things people have done to them, but I think my best option is to just wait for a used custom to go up for sale.

boltfluter and SPJ like this.
  6. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter.

I always adjust both. I adjust protrusion to .058 then set the secondary stop to create a total protrusion of .055. Just enough to keep it from slamming into the bolt head.

SPJ likes this.
  7. sparky123321

There's really no comparison between the Target Action rifles and the standard action rifles. That goes for the stocks as well.

Just remembered if you buy a retired rifle you'll most likely be looking at a new barrel immediately or in the very near future. And that's gonna run you $300-$400 for the barrel, $200-$300+ to have it chambered and fitted and normally a 2-3 month wait at best.

If you're gonna do it, start with a new or used action and a brand new high quality barrel.

Down South and Mark W like this.
  8. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

Mark W likes this.
  9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Webphut, I have a Savage Target Action RBLP in a PR&T Lowboy stock with a shouldered Krieger barrel 26". I bought it off here from Jhord some years back. 1-8 twist, just under 800 rounds. It's supposed to be a shooter from what he told me. I've never fired it. It's in great shape and just sitting, if your interested at all pm me questions. It came with all the load info.

Down South, Mark W and SPJ like this.
  10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Sparky nice stock
    How wide is that forearm?

11. sparky123321

3 1/2". Rides perfectly in a 4" bag with the sides tightened slightly.

SPJ likes this.