Savage mark ii trigger

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Peebles24, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

I finally installed a aftermarket trigger in my savage mark ii 22lr. I went with the rifle basix and would recommend it to anyone. Breaks clean and i have it set pretty light (no scale) but there is still room to drop it lower. Install was a breeze took all of about 15 minutes.

Chad

pacificman, SPJ, Outrider27 and 3 others like this.
  2. Peebles24

Just ordered a richards microfit 3" forearm benchrest style stock. I know it is a risk cause richards inlet and finish is hit or miss at best. However i couldnt find squat else for a mark ii. Once it comes in 8-10 weeks ill post some pics. Then im going to contemplate real hard about sending it to http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/rimfire_rifles.html and have him do his thing to it including head spacing.

shooterjon likes this.
  3. Peebles24

Just got off the phone with Scott Null of savagegunsmithing. I am sending him my barreled action tomorrow if i can get my match shot for the month. He gaurantees 50 yard .3 moa accuracy or better. He said he does a lot of the microfit stocks and to just have them ship it directly to him. For about 270 he is checking the head space and fixing if needed, recrowning, lapping, putting on thick bottom metal and inletting the stock for it, finishing action inlet and bedding, going through the savage accutrigger and setting at my desired weight, polishing the chamber, putting on 1 piece scope rail, and test firing.

He said it will not leave his shop till it is a .3 or better rifle and most leave at .1 or .2 moa.

If it comes back as good as he says it will be a sweet little comp rifle for decent price. Hope to have a report for you all in 6-8 weeks.

kzin likes this.
  4. Conaso

Conaso

I used Scott for my Savage TRR-SR. While not cheap it was worth every penny, I'd use him again.

Peebles24 likes this.
  5. Peebles24

Does it now shoot .3 like he gaurantees and which ammo.

6. Peebles24

So scott received my new richards microfit 3" forearm benchrest stock. His wife sent me a pic. It sure is pretty. Once i shape it and finish it, it will be phenomenal i think.

Attached Files:

kzin likes this.
  7. WAYDE Sherman

WAYDE Sherman

Requesting a update on how the rifle build is working .

kzin likes this.
  8. Peebles24

Still waiting to get it back :(

9. Peebles24

Smith finally called today and is shipping out my rifle tomorrow. So ready to have it back.

kzin likes this.
  10. Peebles24

My rifle will finally be delivered back to me on Tuesday. Then i have to order ammo cause they didnt tell me what it was tuned for over the phone. Will post up what info they sent with it soon.

kzin likes this.
  11. kzin

kzin

They shipped by wagon train?

12. Peebles24

I think so. I got it this morning and honestly I'm rather disappointed, the only ammo on target that looked good was federal gold medal match. Problem is it appears federal no longer makes that. I'm waiting on scott to call me

13. Tim s

Tim s

“He said it will not leave his shop till it is a .3 or better rifle and most leave at .1 or.2 moa.”

Wow, guy tweaks a Savage to shoot as good or better than a $5000 custom ?
    FWIW , that is not even remotely close to an actual possibility.
    I am not even aware that a top flight smith building custom BR guns making that claim.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Ggmac likes this.
  14. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry , but I completely agree with Tim s . .1-.3 moa would be .005-.015 ish at 50 yds . I'm not 100 percent today, so my measures may be off but a guarantee by anyone like that is cause to run away . Polish the chamber , why , was it not chambering . Setting it back and cutting a win 52d chamber or a parallel sided chamber is the way to go . You want to have it tighter not larger .
    I really hope it works for you , I've shot a lot of 22s and a savage factory barrel isn't one I would waste money on .
    Thread the receiver , thread the barrel ( aftermarket ) chamber with a match reamer , have the receiver drilled for 2 action screws . Fit an Anschutz trigger to it .
    Reshape the firing pin , check the fp protrusion.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  15. Peebles24

Well he said that but what he sent was different. More like half moa in 10mph wind and snow with a ammo that federal doesnt make any more.

He did reinstall the factory trigger and rework it and it is actually great. He put a target crown on the barrel that looks good but he didnt reblue it. He swapped out the factory 2 piece scope mounts for a one piece. It is bedded nicely into the richards stock.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  16. JaoeyP

JaoeyP Silver $$ Contributor

What other ammos have you tried?

17. Peebles24

I just got it back yesterday and i have no ammo on hand. I ordered some wolf match target per his recommendation. I have to finish the exterior of the richards microfit. They come pretty rough.

18. Peebles24

Rather irritating that i need to go through ammo testing again. I paid good money now i have to throw more money at testing. After shipping both ways total was 460 bucks. Last time i tested ammo it cost me 100 dollars.

Ggmac likes this.
  19. Peebles24

Honestly at this point i could have bought a nice used annie or 40x. 460 on smith, 370 on new savage, and 250 on stock.

Ggmac likes this.
  20. shooterjon

shooterjon Silver $$ Contributor

Scott did my 223 with his accuracy package .My 223 now shoots in the 2's and is my compitition varmint gun.
    This guy is good!