SAVAGE F-class .... proper rear bag sizing

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by MontanaCreedmoor, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

guys....

Have a Savage F-class 6.5-284......(model with the flat butt stock).

Does anyone have knowledge on the Best size spacing for the rear bag ...... for this specific rifle....?

Looking at the SEB Bigfoot or the Edgewood gator (or mini gator).

Thanks!

2. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

Sorry this is the model 12 F-class

3. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :) Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Savage 12 F-Class in 6BR.

I use a Protektor Dr. Flat Top bag with 1 1/8" (1.125 in) spacing between the ears.

Rogmay likes this.
  4. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

Newbie shooter.....

Great.

What is your thickness on your stock?
    Does your gun rest in the bottom of the rest? Or is it suspended done and actually ride between the ears ? Or slide the bottom?

Do you like the protektor bag?

5. newbieshooter

Yes, I like the Protektor Dr. Flat Top bag filled with heavy sand.

I believe the 12 FClass stock is the same between the 2 calibers (6BR and 6.5-284).

The stock thickness isn't a constant width. It varies. It is thinner toward the end of the stock and gradually thickens as you approach the barrel/bolt. These are approximate measurements:

upload_2017-10-5_0-34-23.png

I find that the 1.125 inch (1 1/8") ear spacing works for me. The part of stock that is between 1.00 in. and 1.15 in. rides between the ears. Since I don't let it free recoil very much - the bottom of the stock remains in contact with the surface between the ears. If you let it recoil further, you'll find that it will rise up a tiny bit as the thicker part of the stock enters the gap between the ears. Even if it rides up a little - it's not a big deal for the type of matches we participate in at our range.

Another shooter at the matches has the same Savage rifle (12 FClass 6BR). He lets the rifle recoil a bit further than I do. He has the same bag - but with 1.25 inch (1 1/4") spacing between the ears. This allows the bottom of the stock to stay in contact with the top of the bag (between the ears) as the stock recoils/travels further.

YMMV.
    Hope this helps.

snakepit, mikeinct and Randy L like this.
  6. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

Thanks... super helpful response.

Love the picture also... makes the conversation real clear.

THANK YOU.

7. snakepit

snakepit Silver $$ Contributor

I have the same setup as newbieshooter above uses. I shoot 6BR freestyle and have no problems with it and on my setup it does not rise up in the bag as he says but remains flat on the bottom during the recoil. I had to custom order it to get that spacing on the ears.

8. newbieshooter

I meant that it will rise off the off the bottom if you allow the portion of the stock that is closer to 1.4 inches wide to recoil between the ears. But generally speaking, I don't allow that portion of the stock to recoil that far back - so as @snakepit mentions - it does not rise up and remains flat on the bottom during recoil.

9. snakepit

snakepit Silver $$ Contributor

With my freestyle shooting this Savage F Class stock I allow the stock to move back as far as it wants and as the expanding wider section of the stock gets into the narrower ears it cushions, slows and finally stops the stock. I have no problem with the stock raising off the rear bag. I think that if the stock raises off the bag during recoil you may be able to adjust your center of gravity by moving the rifle farther back on the front rest bag which will move the center of gravity back and put more weight on the rear rest bag. This works for me and this rifle but I am shooting the low recoil Savage F Class 6BR and not the 6.5 x 284.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  10. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

Thanks guys

Sounds like 1.125” is the favored width here for savage 12.

I’ve heard from some that you really want the gun to NOT sit on the bottom .... but be a little supported by the ears themselves ....and not riding on the bag.

I don’t know enough to know which is correct or optimal.L as I have never had the benefit of shooting off a really nice bag. I just want to BUY ONCE and get it right

11. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

I sent a pm to a Moderator a few days ago about posting a series on sandbags how to shape them how pliable they should be, just need some info. That's something that is not discussed alot and from what I read it is very important. I'm using a 5 in wide plate on my F12 front stock now trying to get better tracking can't afford 1500 stock . I myself will be purchasing a 1in wide rear bag shortly but I think I will fix a rail on the bottom something like a gunsmith on here builds but my own little contraption, going to try to make it adjustable so I can get the gun to track somewhat true