Savage 12 bipod option

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by WhitehouseNC, May 5, 2018.

1. WhitehouseNC

WhitehouseNC

Looking for ideas to mount a bipod on my savage 12 f class stock and still use as benchrest gun as well. Was thinking anshuntz rail but not sure enough “meat” on bottom of stock with vents. Thanks in advance for any advice

2. foxguy

foxguy Silver $$ Contributor

I just had a channel milled in the front of my F-Class savage stock. My milled channel is about 5 1/4" long and I used a Freeman Rail as it was a little narrower that the Anschutz( just my personal preference). I used 3 screws to secure it front middle and end. I have only had this done for about 2-3 weeks so I haven't used it much but I believe it is going to work great. Another shooter had his milled and had a full length rail installed into his. It too looks good. With screws screwed @ the ends and at the Vents + intersections as needed. The stock is plenty deep and thick enough to support the Rail. Good luck with you decision.

WhitehouseNC likes this.
  3. WhitehouseNC

WhitehouseNC

May I azk
    may I ask with bipod adapter you went with?

4. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

My Savage 12 F Class has a factory installed Anschütz rail.

5. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

You might be thinking of a 12 FTR, which does have a rail. The 12 F-class has a wide flat fore-end, with no rail (from the factory).

6. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

Indeed I am.
    Thanks for the clarification.

7. kzin

kzin

It might help if Savage sold an F-Open and an F-TR ;)

8. foxguy

foxguy Silver $$ Contributor

I had the rail installed so I could mount the Phoenix Bi-pod. It uses a weaver style Base mount which is secured with t-nuts. Harris HB6 Anschutz European Rail, Harris HB6A Freeman Rail.

9. swadiver

swadiver

I epoxied in two threaded inserts and now easily screw on a small picatinny rail section when i want to attach the bipod. works great

Shooter16, foxguy and Dgd6mm like this.