Sam and jd -- First Blood

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by jds holler, Feb 23, 2020.

1. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Day begins with the early service at church. Then home to do a little custom work on Sammie's rifle. She's had a little trouble with no cheek weld for off-hand shooting -- scope too high, face too small. We combined our Okie skills and come up with a good solution.

IMG_3822.jpeg

That done, we headed to the nearby "squeak fields". Squeak is the local name for ground squirrel, and descriptive of one of the common noises they make.

Weather was in the forties, both temp and wind. There were squirrels out, but not a ton, and we had to set up and wait quite a while for them to start popping up. I wanted Sam to have a crack at a nice close one for the best chance of a clean shot on her first kill. The squirrels wouldn't cooperate, and she finally spotted one at a good distance and took the shot. I didn't see the hit, but definitely heard it. "THWOCK" A look with the binocs revealed a squeak doing the death flop.

Well, I suggested sitting still and taking more shots, but she'd have none of it. We had to go retrieve the kill.

IMG_3813.jpeg

I really couldn't believe how far it was - 85 freakin yards!! And a perfect boiler room shot. She was proud, and I was even prouder. However I refrained from putting a smear of skanky rodent blood on her cheeks.

A few minutes after getting set up again, she made a shot on a close one, busting his punkin.

IMG_3817.jpeg

Sammie started pestering me to do some shooting, so I unlimbered the trusty Bee, and sploded a few.

IMG_3818.jpeg

By this time the wind was screaming so hard we could hardly keep our hats on, so we called it a day, and headed back for food and drink. We both killed only a couple squeaks, but couldn't have been happier if we'd have killed a hundred. In a few years, maybe we'll have this kind of fun with her first buck. And with that one I'll be smearing her cheeks with blood.:) jd

New Gun, JayHHI6818, Roe and 23 others like this.
  2. Rocketvapor

Rocketvapor

Saw the title with "blood" in it and first thought was you hurt yourself again :)
    But, this turned much much better.

Congrats to the proud dad.

My daughter, also a Sammie, was bout the same age with her first squirrel.
    She dressed it out and wanted to keep the head. NO !!

GotRDid, jds holler and std7mag like this.
  3. 500yards

500yards

She is natural, what a great young hunter.

GotRDid and jds holler like this.
  4. 1shot

1shot Silver $$ Contributor

What a great story! More kids these days should be so blessed with opportunities like this. Good on you @jds holler!

Lloyd

5. 17VLD

17VLD

Awesome story,bet when she grows up she will vote republican too:)
    Nice to see today’s youngsters getting mentored properly!
    Matt

6. std7mag

std7mag

Congratulations on the memories that will last both of you your lifetimes!

17VLD, GotRDid and jds holler like this.
  7. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Congrats to both of you on having a good day together. Her sweatshirt says it all.

8. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

The story and pics are priceless, congrats .

9. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Thank you for sharing the hunt and the hunters.

10. 2506

Good story of making memories. Here is a tip for low cheek weld problems I came up with. You can take one of the elastic stock ammo slip on carriers and place it on the stock. Then take a piece of the cheep blue closed cell sleeping mate that you can get at places like Walmart in the camping section and cut pieces to the size you need to slip under the elastic carrier to raise the comb to the height you will need. I used this method on a K-31 Swiss rifle that I put a clamp on scope mount that set the scope slightly off center to the right and was pretty high. Works like a charm.

I also used this closed cell material under a piece of split elk hide that I laced at the bottom on the stock of my Sharps 1874 model 45-70 to keep it from breaking my jaw when shooting longer ranges with the Vernier sight raised to the point I had to lift my cheek off the stock. When my buddy saw it I had to make him one also for is Winchester High Wall 45-70.

11. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

Absolutely wonderful!! Congrats to you both! You go girl!!

12. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Thanx jd, I am uplifted. Mike

13. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

And Mike, I'm uplifted by your and everybody's interest and comments.

Sam and I aren't related by blood, her being the daughter of my step daughter. I've never had any kids of my own, and Sammie's dad died just before she was born.

I think that God brought us together so that I could learn the kind of love that a kid needs and gives, and for me to return that love and put some security and sanity into her life.

I'm kind of a 63 year old reconstruction project, and this relationship of ours is going a long way towards turning me into an actual well rounded human being.

I'd like to suggest that anybody who gets an opportunity like I've been given, to become a part of a kids life -- well take it. jd

McGraw, rebel, SPJ and 4 others like this.
  14. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Hey JD good for you- its a great thing youre doin. Who woulda thought Im 63 and never had kids either. Keep up the fine job youre doin.

jds holler and 17VLD like this.
  15. maxscm

maxscm Gold $$ Contributor

Congratulations to your young Hunting Partner.
    And Yep the Young Ladys' Tee Shirt Says it All!!
    Another outing or two and she'll be shooting the "BEE".
    JD you are Truly Blessed!

16. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

God Bless ya JD
    J

17. 17VLD

17VLD

Wow this thread just gets better and better!
    Was just talking to the G F about taking the step Grand babies calling coyotes when they are old enough,I am thankful for the green light and the opportunity to do so in the future.Lord knows there is enough pain in this world,God Bless all the mentors here and especially you JDS for sharing this.
    Matt

jds holler likes this.
  18. Alguapo

Alguapo

Perfect.

19. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Dammit, making eyes water - early spring, pollen -crap.