Salt bath annealing question

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by TrxR, Mar 18, 2019.

1. TrxR

TrxR

I was wondering if there is any need to clean the brass after salt bath annealing? Is a simple rinse enough?

Also for the guys doing this what pid controller setup are you using?

Thanks

2. L W P

L W P

I only rinsed my brass after annealing with the salt. I did try 2 different methods. The first was with water and a little Lemi Shine mixed in, which turned the brass a flat colored look and took some of the annealing color away. The second was with water only, which left the annealing color (tint) on and the brass had a darker gleam to it. As far as controller, I'm using the one that came with the kit from Canada.

3. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Silver $$ Contributor

What’s your dwell time?

4. oley55

oley55

LWP "As far as controller, I'm using the one that came with the kit from Canada."

can you elaborate on that. From what I saw, the unit from Canada is not a controller at all, it is just an electronic thermometer. The heat controller is the mechanical thermostat in the Lee pot, or did I miss something and build my own PID for no good reason?

5. oley55

oley55

I just rinse thoroughly in clean fresh water.

As for PID controller I built my own using information found at this link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?49410-Pid-temp-control-finished-!!!.
    Most of the guys on this link are using the PID for more accurate molten lead temps, but same plans and components serve for salt bath annealing. I did get the 90 degree thermocouple, salts, and case holder from the Canadian source.

6. mikecr

mikecr

That's a different subject, but dwell time is not a matter with dip annealing at the correct temperature.
    I rinse/swish dipped cases in that purple stuff cleaner you get at auto parts stores. Then vibratory tumble to dry.

7. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Silver $$ Contributor

Purple Power! Good stuff right there!
    I watched the video on their website and 5 seconds of exposure, seems to do the trick.
    I've had my annealing fit for about 6 months and haven't had a chance to use it.

8. Bojo

Bojo

For dwell time just download a metronome app onto your phone . U can set it to a 5 second beat all the way up to uber fast. I use a 6 second count on mine

boltfluter and Jacob.A like this.