Sako trg

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by jreedtn, Mar 26, 2020.

1. jreedtn

jreedtn Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone have any experience with the Sako TRG 22 in 260 or 6.5 cm? Thinking about picking one up to do my part in stimulating the economy. Lol. Just wanting something to do some informal target shooting and have always liked SAKO quality. Also, what caliber would you go with? Euro optics has them with 20" barrel in 260 or a 6.5 cm with a 26" barrel. I reload, so ammo isn't a real concern. I was just worried 20" was a little short for a 260.

2. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

The TRG22 is a very well executed and proven rifle. Although some can find the stock design a little "different" I liked the feel of the TRG42 in 338 LM that I owned. I have a long time friend that is a TRG22 freak. He says nothing is smoother and shoots better than his trusty TRG22 in 308.
    First, I always say buy what you want or like. If I were choosing, based on my long experience with both 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor, I would choose the 6.5 Creedmoor version. Either way I think you'll be investing in a high quality rifle.

3. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Personally I'd do the 6.5 version also.
    My wife's 260 has a 20" barrel and I feel it's lacking a little in the velocity department.
    JMO

shoot4fun likes this.
  4. jreedtn

That's kind of what I was really thinking. Pay a couple hundred bucks more and have a longer barreled 6.5 cm. Seems the factory match ammo for the 6.5 is pretty decent stuff.

5. lb-ft

lb-ft

Only factory rifle I've handled on par with Sako smoothness & consistency noted above is the SSG 3000 / Sauer 200. Mighty fine.

6. Poor Shot 65

Poor Shot 65 Silver $$ Contributor

I have one - its a good rifle, but remember buying anything for this rifle will cost you tons of money. Also everything on it is in metric -

Thanks

Adam

7. jreedtn

Adam,
    I was thinking it came with a rail from the factory? Does it not accept Standard rings?
    I understand that the magazineS won't be cheap, or the factory bipod, but those can be purchased at a later date.

8. Poor Shot 65

I purchased mine 3+ years ago and it came with a 0 MOA picatinny rail - which I replaced (they might have changed this -- i dont know). Also you will most likely need to buy a muzzle break - you can either buy that directly from sako or from APA. Rebarreling can also be another issue - a lot of smiths wont work with metric threads. I was lucky and found one locally that can work with metric. Let me know if you do need a muzzle break for the trg - my old APA break (for metric threads) is just sitting around.

Adam

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. Poor Shot 65

Also one more thing - the rear stock on the TRGs have a habit of cracking where the rear stock touches the trigger guard - watch out for that because it happened to me (I will see if i can find a picture). I got rid of the sako chassis and moved over to using a KRG chassis - its very nice.

Adam

Attached Files:

10. Poor Shot 65

Here is my TRG-22 in 6.5 creedmoor in a KRG chassis -

Attached Files:

Bc'z likes this.
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

That blows.
    Speaking of damaged stocks...
    I want to open up bolt handle slot on your 30br.

12. Poor Shot 65

I managed to get some candy apple red touch up paint w/clear coat from amazon and fix all paint chips. The paint chips occurred when I was fire forming 200 pieces of brass ... my shoulder was starting to ache so I let some PRS friends help out by shooting the gun. Well I think that they racked the bolt so hard that it caused the chips. I never do that - so im assuming that the issue shouldn't occur again.

Lesson learned - never let anyone handle your rifle.

Adam

Bc'z likes this.
  13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I still want to fix it for you.
    Print me a return shipping label and send it my way.
    Opening slot, materials and labor are on me.
    Brett

14. kimbergoldmatch

kimbergoldmatch

I have a TRG in 6.5 and it’s a great shooting rifle. It did come with a 0 MOA pic rail that I removed and replaced with a Spuhr ST-3701 mount. Any replacement parts or accessories from Sako are $$$$.

jreedtn likes this.