Sako 6mm PPC

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by 918v, Apr 15, 2007.

1. 918v

918v

Hello,

I just scored an unfired Sako single-shot 6mm PPC for next to nothing. It is beautifully made. Nice teeny action. Nice trigger. Does anyone have experience with the Sako 6mm PPC factory rifle and what kind of accuracy I can expect? Is it better to fireform 220 Russian brass or just use Norma factory brass? I'd like to behin load development with Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips. Any pet loads? Thank You!

918v

2. RGraham

RGraham Site $$ Contributor

Great rifle. You can expect very good accuracy. 1/2" or under would be the norm for a good worked up load. Sako brass would be the easiest. Lapua 220 r brass is of course excellent but you will need to neck turn it a little bit for it to fit the Sako chamber then fireform.

3. 918v

918v

That is excellent info. So the Sako chamber is pretty tight, then. Do you know what diameter the loaded neck should be to clear?

4. tightneck

tightneck Site $$ Contributor

It's best to do a chamber cast to find out for sure. I haven't had one but have heard that they are too tight for Lapua 220 brass.

5. rbertalotto

rbertalotto Site $$ Contributor

Does it look like these? I have three of them......FANTASTIC rifles! VERY accurate right out of the box........

[​IMG]

6. 918v

918v

Oh Yeah!

Just like those, except it is a single-shot with an externally adjustable trigger. This is by far the best rifle purchase I have ever made. I just hope it lives up to its reputation. I think Sako chambers these with a .270" neck,judging by Shilen's reamer list), and 220 Russian brass needs a .272" chamber to clear. What about Norma brass? What does a Norma neck measure?

7. rbertalotto

The 222 in the picture has a magazine, the PPC rifles pictures are single shot. All of them have an externally adjustable trigger. All I need is the 223 to complete the set. I believe these are the only four calibers they were chambered in........

8. 918v

918v

The middle rifle has a B&L scope, does it not? Are you using high or medium rings? Mine came with the same scope, but I'm going to change the rings to Leupold ringmounts. i just don't know which height to get.

9. rbertalotto

I'm sorry, I have no idea what rings those are. I believe they are the Sako rings these rifles came with.