Sako 6 ppc value

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by SPJ, Oct 9, 2019.

1. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

a coworker of mine has a Sako 6 ppc with 1 box of Ammo ran through it, he wants to sell it but has no idea towards the market value.
    Can anyone help estimate a starting point.
    Thx
    Jim

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Which model is it? (Barrel dia)

Bc'z likes this.
  3. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ll find out and report back

4. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Picture shows Sako AI xxxxxxx
    Barrel diameter is 13/16
    Wood stock
    He says the scope isn’t anything special

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Sometimes they sell for $1000 plus up to $1500 new in box. They would be worth $600 or so in reality given that they cant shoot ppc pressures, use ppc-usa dies and really need the old sako or norma brass to act right. They are very accurate for a sporter type rifle tho and are a gateway to alot of ppc shooters getting br rifles

SPJ likes this.
  6. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

Club member bought a Sako 6 PPC last year for BR competition . Paid just under 900 USD .Really rips up the factory division. No Annies in the club.

SPJ likes this.
  7. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

If it's the version with 2-stage adjustable trigger, add 20% to Dusty's numbers. I believe that those models only had serial numbers Axxx, Bxxx, or Cxxx though. Scope has minor influence on value. Original carton and paperwork should help.

Do you know if it's a L461 or L491 action?

The clubs local to me have a "no PPC" rule on the factory divisions just to exclude these.

8. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I do not

9. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

He’s an older fella like me, a septic designer by trade and not sure why he even bought it I’m told, nevertheless I have sent him a text/tag to this thread. If I can help I will .
    J

10. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

My A1 won a factory match in Somerset, Ky against 5 relays, 12 rifles to a relay.
    Probably most accurate factory rifle ever. Made three years in the early 1990's.
    They are Model 461's, although 461 is not printer on rifle anywhere. My factory box
    says Model 461. Target trigger and barrel. about 2500 were produced. They are
    serial numbered A001 to A999, B001 to B999, and C001 to Cxxx
    I have bought they from $1100 to $1400 but that was 10 years ago. I have seen them
    priced at $1800 lately, but I don't know if they sold at that price. A very few of them
    were 22 ppc's.
    The A-1 also has one other identifier. The trigger guard has two holes for a allen wrench for adjusting the factory trigger. Very fine trigger.

SPJ and TonyinKY like this.
  11. Schandler

Schandler Gold $$ Contributor

I purchased one here on the site and honestly can’t remember what i paid for it around a grand or close. A1 so it has the second hole in trigger guard and heavy barrel. With reloads it is one of the most accurate rifles i own and it’s just a pretty factory rifle - feels good even though not a custom. I have no need for a hot load and wouldn’t sell for anything. It has found a home and if you purchase that rifle i believe you won’t regret. Do search and read on the rifle lots of good post on it

dgeesaman likes this.
  12. Schandler

Schandler Gold $$ Contributor

i will add a little advice just from experience - the bases and rings if it needs them don’t buy the optilocks - had a heck of a time with them windage adjustment - never figured out the problem and went with leupold one piece

dgeesaman and SPJ like this.
  13. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Can confirm. Get the Redfield Sako/Leupold bases and your favorite Leupold style rings. My favorite is the Burris Signature.

The new Optilocks for Sako tapered bases will aim 3 feet to the left at 100y no matter what trickery you employ. They are just plain incorrect, spend no money on them.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Stickler likes this.
  14. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

Question for Birdog : was your Contest Winner Sako a 6 or 22 PPC ? I have seen a lot of A-1's . Some had the Hole in Trigger Guard to externally adjust the Target Trigger and some ( I think ) did not . I seem to remember that the externally adjustable Target Trigger was an extra cost Option .....but my memory ain't what it used to be . I have never seen ( or felt) a 461 ( A-1) with a two stage Trigger . I have a buddy with a Finnish wife who always asked me : " Why do you Americans pronounce Sako the same way as a Japanese Watch " ?

Ramblerman and dgeesaman like this.
  15. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

Saaaako

Ramblerman, dbduff and dgeesaman like this.
  16. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

This^^^
    I’ve watched them for years. They sit forever for $1500...

SPJ and dgeesaman like this.
  17. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

"If it ain't got strips, it ain't a Zeebra".
    Other Sako models were offered in PPC that are not A-1's. Don't be fooled.
    All the A-1's had the two hole trigger guard. Some people call their PPC Sako an A-1 when it is not. Probably the later model 491.
    A-XXX, B-XXX, CXXX. 999 A's, 999 B's, and around 500 C's and production ended.

18. nockhunter

nockhunter

All the "A", "B", "C", serial numbered Sako's with heavy barrels are also single shots. They only came in 22PPC and 6PPC.

Mike

Here is my 22ppc in a McMillan stock

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SPJ likes this.
  19. searcher

searcher

It should fetch NO LESS than $1,200.00 in that condition. If it were me - I'd try for $1,400.00.

SPJ likes this.