S&W performace center 357mag or 44mag for off hand target shooting

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Gary Wiant, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Gary Wiant

Gary Wiant

Please keep in mind that I've had 2 shoulder surgeries the last 2 years (1 on each) so I'm a little recoil sensitive but I'm going to get a revolver for iron sight off hand Adventure / Wood walk competitions & I'm stuck between either the 357 mag. p/n 17319 or the 44 mag p/n 170318.

I currently shoot a 13" 357mag (with reduced load) in the scopes class and I know I could do that with the 357 but how much of a difference does the included muzzle break on the 44mag cut down the recoil? The only reason I like the 44mag is because of the longer barrel is 7.5" compared to the 6" 357mag. Is the 1.5" going to make much of a difference or am I being a barrel length snob? We shoot from 15 - 20 yards out to 100yards but most shots are between 30 - 50 yards.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

Thank you
    Gary

2. msinc

msinc

I was a 357 man for a long time, still love the caliber. Every time I wanted to hunt with mine there was a "44 magnum minimum" law. Never much cared for the 44 mag...more the people that had them I would always run into. So, I stayed away from a 44 mag and it's many idiotic followers for the longest time. Then one day a buddy said, "why don't you take mine and try it?" I did and his loads were reasonable. I fell in love and now my favorite handgun to shoot, have fun with and hunt with is my 629 8 3/8" full lug. I put a set of coke grips on it and cant stop shooting it long enough to checker them. The muzzle brake will definitely cut out most of the recoil, but with normal loads you really probably wont need it. I don't like the extra muzzle blast. Not that you can shoot the thing without hearing protection anyway, but the concussion is not conducive to accuracy...at least not for me.
    I love to cast my own bullets and that is also a good way to cut down on the cost of practicing. I will say that mine had a 6 1/2" barrel and I changed to the 8 3/8", but I really wish I had the 7 1/2" full lug barrel. My vote is to try the 44 mag, but find someone that has one and has normal decent ammo. If he wears one of those cowboy hats with the feathers all the way down his back, Tony Llama nut cruncher's, a 10" in diameter silver belt buckle and says things like, "come on over here and shoot a real mans gun, boy!!!"......find somebody else before you dismiss the 44 mag. I think you will be glad you did.

Edit: Not to sound like one of those idiotic followers, but the first time you shoot a 10 pound woodchuck and see him flip 3 feet in the air.....you'll be glad you made the switch!!!

3. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

Try the 41 mag. You’ll be surprised

4. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Going to throw a wrinkle in this because I hate pistol recoil more than big rifles. Why wouldn't a 9mm work? S&W makes a model 629 that is badass. Uses moon clips, you can buy tools to load them, gauge them, etc... I swear they made an 8" version before, may be wrong.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-929

5. scubohuntr

scubohuntr

Gawd, that's an ugly revolver. Why would they call it a 29? That's always been a .44 mag designation. Why not call it a 927? At least the bore diameter would be close. Just pointless rhetorical questions.

6. Gary Wiant

Gary Wiant

Thanks all. I hunt with the 6.8 special so this wouldn't be as hunting round (while typing this I can hear my dad say never say never). I shot a big ground hog with my 6.8 this past Friday & it was ugly. I load all my pistols with ACME HiTech coated bullets I use 158 gr. Semi wad cutters & love them

Some of the courses allow 45-70, 460 & 464's to be shot so 9mm is a little light. I have a friend who has a 9mm barrel for his wife's contender & we really need to watch top see if she hits the target.

I've never messed with a 41 mag. I'm all at up to load 357 & 44mag on my dillon 550B, but I'll look into it.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  7. Milo 2.0

Lol, if I buy S&W I will get to the bottom this crap.

8. Milo 2.0

What is the discipline called, and what are the targets you shoot at? It sounds interesting.
    I got so sick of LR shooting and load development last September I got into PCC's, carbines shooting 9mm. I've amassed a collection of these over the winter and have had a blast. Everyone I own I've stuck a Leupold 1-6 on and shot at 100 yards and I'm impressed, with factory ammo. Guys that compete USPSA in the PCC division shoot past 100 with them and are fun to watch, me not so much, lol
    sig.jpg
    Here's an 8" Sig Mpx

9. Gary Wiant

Gary Wiant

In our area western PA, it is called either Adventure Walk or Woods Walk it may be called something else in other parts of the country.

Classes are
    Pistol classes shoot 25 targets
    centerfire scoped & iron sight
    Rimfire scoped & iron sight

Rimfire Rifle classes shoot 50 targets
    Scoped & iron sight

Targets are steel ( hung by chains or on swinging rods. Typically shot in 5 shot groups Rifle targets are smaller and range in size from say a 1" - 1.5" nut up to 1/5th size NRA Rams
    or so except some of the very long distance are larger. And the distances typically range from 20 - 100 yards all shots are off hand with no slings or support. Pistol targets are usually slightly larger but not large or easy by any means. You only get 1 are 1 shot at each target and they are scored either hit or miss.

Most ranges also have an additional class called 22 Golf. In which there are 18 very small targets (1/5 NRA chickens or washers welded together.) ranging from 40 - 75 yard you shoot each target until you hit it (if you miss 5 shots you take a6 & move on) minimum score is 18 max score is 108. Typically the class cost $5 each

These competitions are a lot of fun.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  10. Gary Wiant

Gary Wiant

Ok so I think I'll have the best of both worlds. I am buying the 357mag and if I need the 44mag or hunting I'll use my 44 mag encore that I have & embarrassingly forgot I have

357Mag likes this.
  11. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

A Ruger Super Blackhawk with Bisley grip handle and 8 3/8 barrel in 44mag is a joy to shoot and very acurate.

perry42

12. Gary Wiant

Gary Wiant

Thanks the order has been placed for the competitor 357

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018