Ruger77/22 Hornet

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Pyscodog, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

I bought a new Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Its the Green Mountain version with the laminate stock. I watched several videos on bedding the action and floating the barrel. Seems the action fits very tight in the stock but the barrel is definitely not floated. Due to weather and I just got it yesterday evening, I haven't fired a round out of it yet. Should I bed it and float the barrel or shoot it first?? The Hornet is a new one for me so I'm pretty green on what to expect and what accuracy is "good enough" for what it is.

2. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

I would shoot it first, If you're happy great if not you can bed it, at least you'll have something to compare it to, Most people that go the Ruger route usually have to do some trigger work to get then to shoot

mikeinct likes this.
  3. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

It may or may not shoot.. The hokey 2 piece bolt is a problem most of the time.. Yes I bought one. It was new and the LGS wanted to get rid of it as it had been there a long time.. So against my better judgment, I bought it. Shot like crap.. So I spent $200 and sent it to CPC and let the man do his magic. He fixed the bolt shims, cut a match chamber, did a trigger job and put a target crown on it.. Shoots like it should now..

4. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

Some of the older Rugers had barrels held on to the action like the 10/22 with a block type wedge. Mine is a newer version that screws the barrel into the action...or so I'm told. I took it out of the stock and there is no block. Out of the box, my trigger breaks at 3 1/2 pounds.I'm going to order a new trigger spring and shim kit in the next few days.

5. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

After you do what you feel is necessary, if you still feel it is short in the accuracy department do what I did with my 77/22 Hornet - get it re-chambered to K-Hornet. Sure improved the accuracy of mine.

Rick in Oregon and Mark McMahon like this.
  6. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

Already have plans to make a K out of it but my smith wants me to shoot it first.Not sure why but he's the boss. LOL

7. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

I heard the same thing about the bbl's. Several friends and I had the early 77/22 hornets, and they all shot factory fodder about 1 1/2".

8. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Zilla nailed it.

Rick in Oregon likes this.
  9. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

Well even though we had gale force winds in Okla today I took the Ruger to the club for a test run. Due to windy conditions I only shot it at 50 yards. The good....after a few sight in rounds,I shot a 5 shot group with factory Hornady 35 grain V-Max into a very small ragged hole. I know,50 yards isn't much of a test but considering conditions, I thought it was pretty decent. Now the bad.......it was pulling the primers almost out of the case. Headspace was way off. I got home and called my friend/gunsmith and we checked headspace and it seemed to have about .017 to much. So, a long story shortened, I called the guy that got it for me and he called Davidsons. They are sending me another rifle and this ones going back. Kinda sucks as this rifle acted like it might me a shooter. Who knows what the new one will be????

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. Rockchuck

Rockchuck Silver $$ Contributor

Go ahead get the k hornet work done.my ruger hornet shot like crap.after the new barrel and k hornet chamber shot 1/2" groups some smaller some larger ave 1/2"with Calhoun bullets 30gr

11. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

Well I'll have to wait now until the new rifle gets here.Maybe Friday or Monday.

12. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

Did you float your barrel and bed it? I watched a few video's and "cavedweller" recommends it.

13. Rockchuck

Rockchuck Silver $$ Contributor

Yes barrel is floated and bedded douglas barrel contoured about the same as the factory barrel 24" long stainless factory walnut stock

14. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

Mines all factory stock. Maybe a few range trips before I float the barrel and bed. Maybe I'll get lucky. LOL!!

15. Park ranger

Park ranger

My buddy had the same problem with headspace. He would wrap dental floss around the rim to make it thicker. Primers backing out and all.

Don’t even bother with any bullet other than the 35 grain Hornady. My 77/22 Hornet is pretty, but fickle

16. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

My second Ruger had the same problem as the first. It also backed the primers out but not as bad and it seemed Hornady factory ammo was the worst. Winchester and Remington was barely noticeable. Measuring the rim thickness showed Winchester had thicker rims than the Hornady so I plan on using Winchester brass for reloading. I have 50 rounds loaded for fireforming, just need to get to the range now.