Ruger Precision Rimfire Accuracy Project

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Tech0214, Feb 16, 2019.

1. cmillard

cmillard

I am guessing that since it has a match style chamber, the bullet will be jammed into the rifling

2. Tech0214

Tech0214

Got it installed. Great fit and looks nice. Stainless mixed with black. Test fired a few rounds. Only issue is what it says on the barrel. Once the cartridge is in the chamber it will not extract until fired. I’m sure with some modifications or another extractor , the problem can be solved. Testing will be next.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  3. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

Did you have this issue of not being able to eject a round that hasn't been fired?

The tight bore and inability to eject a loaded round doesn't seem safe to me. Have you thought to ask Shaw about it?
    I wonder if it is supposed to induce better accuracy. Very interested in both your tests on the range and what Shaw may have to say about it.

4. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

It’s a match chamber thing. Really no different than jamming rounds in a centerfire. Just don’t close the bolt unless you intend to fire the round. No big deal.....

5. Papa Charlie

So you mean you have never had a reason to eject a live round from your rifle?.
    I have been instructed to do on the range for reasons not of my doing.
    I am a RSO, if someone told me they had a weapon that they could not eject a live round from, I would require them to remove the weapon from the line.

6. Mark W

Yea, sure I’ve ejected countless live rounds. Mostly from hunting rifles. Can’t say that I specifically remember ever doing it at the range.

I’ve also shot rounds at the range that were jammed into the lands and would likely pull the bullet if they were ejected live. In some kind of emergency it could be messy cleaning powder out of the action but not necessarily dangerous. Of course there would be the bullet that would need to be cleared from the barrel. I would imagine a similar situation with that Shaw rimfire barrel.

If you have issue with it as an RSO then you should probably start quizzing all of your hand loaders to see if they are jamming or jumping.

7. Papa Charlie

The point of my comment was that if you need to clear a LIVE round from the chamber at the range and cannot then that poses a problem. If you leave a bullet stuck in the barrel but the shell comes out, that does not pose an issue.
    From a safety point of view that is an issue.

Mark W likes this.
  8. Mark W

So, we’re kinda saying the same thing...lol. I apologize for not being clear.

I’m just adding that the WORST thing that’s going to happen is you “might” pull a bullet upon extraction. That would probably only happen if someone tried shooting high velocity rounds in a match chamber.

It’s pretty common knowledge that match chambers can do this. Most of them are built not bought but it’s nothing new.

The warning is there for the idiot that would try jamming another round in behind the stuck bullet. You can bet he’s out there somewhere.

Everyone has an opinion and that’s mine. Happy shooting and stay safe!! I’m out.

9. moorepower

moorepower

I would use a small screwdriver under the rim, or should say have used. IF you have ever been around .22's with match chambers, this is normal. A tight chamber is much of the reason the match rifles are accurate. If the bolt is open it is not going to shoot. Open the bolt and use a pocket knife or small screwdriver to pull the round.

Mark W likes this.
  10. Papa Charlie

I admit I have had no experience with match grade 22LR barrels.
    Good to be aware of in case it becomes an issue on the line. Again, my concern is safety and sometimes the only thing we can do is to be aware of the issue and what has to be done to resolve it.
    As I plan to replace the factory barrel on my RPR when I get it, this is very good information.
    Thanks for you input.

Mark W likes this.
  11. Tech0214

Tech0214

Good news fellow shooters. I’ve just purchased a Ruger Precision Rimfire chambered in .17hmr. I will be doing another accuracy test and review on it in the the future. Should I start a new thread or post the results on this one. All inputs and ideas on how to post the results are appreciated. Maybe the gun will shoot well or another barrel upgrade will be needed. Stay tuned.

Thanks.

Mark W likes this.
  12. Tech0214

Tech0214

FYI From Shaw’s website.

NOTE REGARDING RUGER PRECISION® RIMFIRE MATCH BARRELS: These chambers are cut with SAAMI specification '22 Long Rifle - Match' chamber reamers. (Drawing available at SAAMI.org) This means that some ammunition will cause the bolt to close with resistance and that you may have difficulty removing unfired rounds from the chamber. The match chamber will cause the rounds to be pushed into the rifling. Be sure to use extreme caution and always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction while chambering or removing a live round.

Outrider27 and Mark W like this.
  13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Along this line, I had a Benchmark 3-groove barrel chambered with a Lilja Match reamer and installed on a CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer about a year ago. Typical modestly-priced commercial .22lr ammunition that had chambered/extracted easily in the original factory barrel would no longer chamber easily, if at all. The rounds that were able to be chambered could not be extracted without firing. However, various match ammunition such as Eley Match, Eley Tenex, Lapua Center-X, Wolf Match, and SK+ chambered quite easily, and could be extracted without firing.

I had known in advance this was likely to be the case, but wanted to test for myself whether the modestly-priced commercial (non-match) ammunition would still work. My take on all this is that the whole purpose of a tight match chamber is to improve performance when used in conjunction with higher quality match ammunition. So I simply don't shoot anything but match ammunition, primarily Eley Tenex, for which I tested lots and found one that was noticeably better than the others (wouldn't you know the rifle prefers the most expensive stuff available LOL). IMO - there is really no good reason to have a quality .22lr barrel chambered with a tight match reamer only to shoot inexpensive non-match ammunition. If you want the tight chamber, be prepared to buy quality match ammunition, and possibly test various brands to find those that chamber/extract easily. Otherwise, have the rifle chambered with something like the Benz reamer, which will allow you to shoot non-match ammunition and extract live rounds without issue.

Mark W likes this.
  14. Tech0214

Tech0214

Well this is what I have so far. Crappy conditions and I need to shoot the gun a little more. But the Shaw barrel definitely shoots the match grade ammo that’s for sure. More shooting to come. Not done yet. Just some test with a fresh barrel.

Attached Files:

15. Papa Charlie

Well Logan Center X seems to be a winner in that group. Very nice to see.

How does the Shaw compare to the Green Mountain Match barrels?

16. Tech0214

Tech0214

Well project is over. Hopefully this can help some of you guys make a decision on what barrel to use on the RPR. I went out and done some finale testing. The groups definetly tightened up. I feel that if you pick one of the match ammo brands and shoot just that one. The groups would begin to get even better. “Seasoning The Barrel”. Maybe the flyers would even disappear. Hopefully all has enjoyed this test.
    Shoot straight and often!!!!!

Attached Files:

17. lloydx2

lloydx2

Very nice Thanks for posting your results

18. moorepower

moorepower

The Shaw is NOT a lapped barrel, so it will get better with rounds down the tube.