Ruger precision rim fire scope

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by cmillard, Nov 18, 2018.

1. cmillard

cmillard

for those of you that have a Ruger precision rim fire, what do you have one it for a scope? How do you like it? Would also like to see some groups and with the ammo it was shot with. Thanks

2. brusky

brusky

How are you planning on using the rifle?

3. cmillard

cmillard

Precision plinking, hunting, etc

4. Sieg

Sieg

I'm using a Vortex Diamondback HP with the BDC reticle. Works well with .22lr and the Strelok ap.

50yd target
    [​IMG]

Gary Schiefelbein likes this.
  5. cmillard

cmillard

Thanks. Have you ran any other ammo?

6. drover

drover

I have been through three of the 22 LR Ruger American rimfire rifles in different configurations and tried numerous brands of ammo from low end match to upper end and groups like posted are pretty much the best I could get out of any of them. They seem to only be capable of around 3/4" five shot groups at 50 yds no matter the quality of ammo and anything smaller was just the occasional fluke, nothing that could be counted on be duplicated time after time. If you want to really test out ammo try five consecutive 5 shot groups, it will be a real eye-opener.

For a scope I used a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 with adjustable objective, plenty of magnification for shooting groups at 50 yds and the 6X on the bottom end makes it capable for hunting.

I am not sure what "precision plinking" is - that sounds like an oxymoron.

drover

7. brusky

brusky

I put a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 on mine and have been really happy with it. I've also put a lot of different ammo through it as well. I shoot to between 25 yds and out to 200 yds in some matches. What I've found is most quality match .22 ammo will be very consistent out to 100 yards. After 100 yards, the lesser quality match ammo will start to open up and throw the occasional flyer. Here is what I've tested:

CCI SV
    CCI SV Green Tag
    Eley Edge
    Eley Match
    Eley Tenex
    Lapua Midas+
    SK Rifle Match
    SK Pistol Match
    Norma Match 22
    Aguila Pistol Match

Eley Tenex and SK Pistol Match performs best beyond 100 yards. Under 100 yards, CCI SV and Eley Edge are very consistent and tight.

At 50 yards, I can shoot .2 groups with the 4 types of ammo mentioned above. I've yet to break .2 though.

Oh...I also removed the trigger spring to lighten the trigger beyond the factory low. That's been very helpful with shooting consistent groups. Action screws are torqued to 30 inch pounds. Otherwise, it's unmodified.

8. Rsadams

Rsadams

Ammo test at at lest 50 yards then at 100 , I don't have a RPR. But I do have a Ruger American Rimfire that will hold a 5 shot half inch group with CCI standered velocity at 50 yards right out of the box with the short barrel , sorry some of you guys didn't have such luck with one.... On it I have a Nikon p-rimfire 2....
    If I was to change it it would be a Vortex with adjustable AO going on , Crossfire 2 is good for the price. I have two and had zero problems with them , ones on a heavy .308.. And no matter what ammo other people's rifles like , that doesn't meen a thing about what yours will shoot well , you have to go test , clean , test some more... You can buy two of the same rifle at the same time and it's unlikely they will both like the same ammo...

9. cmillard

cmillard

Thanks for replies. If the barrel finds me wanting more accuracy, Green mountain makes a barrel for this rifle that will (should) make some nice tight groups. I was going to put a vortex on, but am looking at athlon too

Rsadams likes this.
  10. Rsadams

Rsadams

Man , I have seen some factory barrels on those rifles group very well out of the box with the correct ammo and break in... But if you don't mind spending the money on the after market barrel it should improve... I would put 500 down the factory barrel if not more while you're thinking about it and see if it tighten up... BTW both scopes are good... I would definitely put a couple of bricks of CCI standered velocity down it before a change , but that's just me , either way you will enjoy it, if I didn't have 5 .22s already I would definitely buy one... At least that's the excuse I am useing to not right now...lol

11. cmillard

cmillard

Thanks. How is the clarity on the athlon?

12. steve123

steve123

If you meant precision, as in NRL22 type matches, you should strongly consider getting a FFP scope.

Athlon Optics has some good options appropriate in price to your RPR. My favorite in the $300-400 range is the Argos BTR 6-24x50.

It focuses as close as 10 yards. BTW many scopes have 50Y minimum parallax adjust and do not focus even at 25Y.

They come in MOA and in MIL and the reticles match the turrets for either.

They are not too long nor too heavy, have good glass for the price, track well.

I've won many matches with mine, as well as shooting perfect scores, and winning state.

13. cmillard

cmillard

Thanks much.

14. brusky

brusky

I just started running an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34×56 on my precision trainer and it's a great scope for $300. Perfect for .22 range but I wouldn't put it on my centerfire. The image gets a little blurry and gray at max power. Below 25 power the image is good enough for the range of a .22 round.

15. Just Chuck

Just Chuck

I have the Ruger American Target 22lr - I believe is about the same as the Precision but different stock. I got this in September so still pretty new - just over 500 round shot so far. I too replaced the trigger spring with an ink pen and it pulls at about 1 1/4#.

I can get sub moa with CCI SV at 50 yards -SK Standard works well, too.

Scope is a Cabelas' Covenant FFP 6-24 X 50 has a Christmas tree reticle in moa. I really like this scope. Great for 300$.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  16. Mark Haggith

Mark Haggith

Hello, Would like to know about trigger spring. Would you be able to provide any directions for doing this? I'm just not satisfied with the trigger pull on mine. Thanks

Just Chuck likes this.
  17. Just Chuck

Just Chuck

Here's a pretty good video on the replacement. You can skip ahead to about 3:10 in the video for the 'meat'. There are others on YouTube that show the same process, but this one is pretty clear.

Mark Haggith likes this.
  18. Mark Haggith

Mark Haggith

Thanks for the info...

Just Chuck likes this.
  19. MrDAWG17

MrDAWG17

Mueller 8x25, I think this gun is awesome. Likes cci sv . Also likes sk+, and wolf target. Groups on pics are about 35-40 yd. depends on where the shade is, don’t like to be in sun on purpose.

Attached Files:

Just Chuck likes this.
  20. cmillard

cmillard

Has anyone here tested the accuracy of their RPR suppressed vs unsuppressed?