RL- 16 for ?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by The Low Budget Reloader, Jul 10, 2018.

1. The Low Budget Reloader

The Low Budget Reloader

Good Afternoon, Shooters
    I am brand new to the page and am looking for advice on some reloads for hunting. I am based out of south-east Missouri were 2 cartridges are the supreme ruler of the hunting community the 30-30 and the 30-06. so naturally being that am a low budget reloader I was looking for a powder I could use for both without sacrificing the massive performance advantage I can stretch out of my 30-06 which is how I discovered RL-16. slow enough to really be excellent in 30-06 fast enough to work out a 30-30. so my question does anyone here use RL-16 in 30-06 0r 30-30. if so how are your results and what are your recipes? any help would be appreciated

dminn1 likes this.
  2. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

I'm running RL-16 in a 30" barrel 30-06 Ackley Improved with 185 gr. Berger VLD's and Hybrids. - I'm sure my loads are on the "warm" side for a regular 30-06 - But I'm liking RL-16 in my A.I. 30-06.

Go to the Alliant Reloaders Guide on the Web - There should be some loading data there. - I'd use Caution & bump back about 5% from what they are listing when you start out.

- Ron -

JoeDuke likes this.
  3. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve tried R16 in my 7x47 Lapua. Had high hopes for it. But, I’m going to end up selling it because I can’t get enough of it in the case.

So, my thought is that it will be good in cases that are relatively voluminous and not so good in somewhat underbore cases like mine. YMMV

4. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

My thinking says RL16 is not a good choice for 30-30.

GSPV and KMart like this.
  5. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

@dmoran has worked with RL-16 in the 6mm Dasher. I picked up a couple of pounds (and made a drop tube) to do the same.

Bc'z likes this.
  6. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

What did you make drop tube out of?
    I have plenty old arrow shafts, but was thinking i need sumthin transparent.

pirate ammo and JLT like this.
  7. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I used an arrow shaft . . . a slow pour should prevent any bridging problems in the tube. That's what I'm hoping, anyhow!

Bc'z likes this.
  8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

^^^Sounds good, I'll play with it a bit.^^^

JLT likes this.
  9. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Silver $$ Contributor

get yourself some of those plastic straws Seattle just banned,,must be millions,,

JLT and Bc'z like this.
  10. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

If you want load recipes for RL16 just load at load data for H4350. It's basically the same.

RL17 would probably work well in both cartridges as it is a crazy magical powder that seems to have an extremely wide node for burn rate preferences of many cartridges large and small. I've used it successfully in 6.5x47 to large magnums. Seems to work well in everything except small varmint rounds.

RL16 however, seems to burn just like H4350. Doesn't have the versatility factor of RL17.
    RL16 would work well for the 30-06. But if load data does not suggest the H4350 burn rate in the 30-30, I would not suggest RL16.