rimfire barrel recommendations

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by BoydAllen, Aug 3, 2018.

1. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

A friend is going to rebarrel one of his .22s that he uses for benchrest score matches among friends. Since he does not have or use a computer, I told him that I would do some research on the internet. My position is that he should buy the very best that is available. My question to all of you is what would that be, and why do you think so?
    Thank you for your time.
    Boyd Allen

2. jimreed1948

jimreed1948

holstil and seymour fish like this.
  3. B23

B23

Lilja barrels seems to be a pretty popular choice amount rimfire shooters.

brians356 and Don like this.
  4. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

I am reading some things about the Bartlein barrels being pretty sweet too.. Rock Creek, Dan Muller, Douglas, Benchmark three and four grooves.. but my bolt gun has a Shilen, just not sure if it is a "ratchet" barrel or not..
    IMG_20180728_213028365.jpg

5. gme

gme Site $$ Sponsor

My customers have had very good luck with Benchmark and Hart

seymour fish and USMCDOC like this.
  6. Kookie

Kookie

MullerWorks is the most in demand with the top benchrest shooters, but not readily available. Shilen ratchet is next most popular. These two pretty much have dominated in ARA competition over the last few years.

seymour fish likes this.
  7. Hippy

Hippy

Benchmark 3 grove 16.5 " twist or Shilen Ratchet U will not go wrong with either one--Muller are used BUTT I have had 2 ordered for 3 + years--It is well known that Dan Muller Taper laps his bbls like only he can

Good Luck

Jim

8. FFEMT

FFEMT Gold $$ Contributor

I'm having a gun built now. From what information I was able to put together and looking at the winners circle, I chose to go with the Shilen Rachet. That being said, I am just starting the first big hurdle of this learning curve, so I really have "0" first hand knowledge. I will be keeping my eye open for a Muller in the future...... Bob.

9. 6and7mm

6and7mm Silver $$ Contributor

Boyd, my commentary is that there are several uber high quality barrel options for your friend. I doubt he could go wrong with at least four brands listed above. At 50 and 100 yards, my Bartlein is rather outstanding, able to yield a 496-499 out of 500 on a regular basis, and frequently well over 20-25 "Xs". It is more about the proper ammo for your barrel than it is about "the best barrel".

Your friend has lots of great options available.

USMCDOC likes this.
  10. USMCDOC

Kevin Nevius favors Hart barrels

i have two Ratchet barrels, one Green Mountain that is stellar and fixing to get a Bartlein..

11. jbell

jbell

I am a big Benchmark 3 groove fan, but have had very good luck with Shilen Ratchet barrels too.

12. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

I have owned and shot in various competitions:
    Shilen
    Bartlein
    Benchmark
    Lilga

Green Mountain
    Anschutz - Select ( Don't ask )

None of the big 4 are bad but out of all of them I feel the Benchmark was the most consistent performer for rimfire.
    If I were barreling a centerfire it would be a Bartlein.

Just My $.02

seymour fish, ledward and Hippy like this.
  13. Hi-NV Shooter

Hi-NV Shooter

Benchmark 3-groove Heavy reverse Taper and if you use Lapua ammo a JGS Nevius .22 reamer to chamber it.

seymour fish likes this.
  14. B23

B23

It's kind of interesting how nearly all the rimfire comp shooters use button barrels and everyone in the centerfire BR world is predominately using single point cut barrels.

15. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

Cut barrels in rimfire applications can take a LONG time too smooth out.. Depending on how well the lapping.

16. Intell

Intell

I've had good luck with several brands over the years in BR. A 2 groove Benchmark 17 3/4 twist. 8 groove 16 twist Muller and a 4 groove standard bore Lilja come to mind, all shot very good. I also had a Pacnor that shot good several years ago. Now I'm rocking a 17 twist 5C Broughton on my Trident. I just got it tuned last weekend and haven't shot it in a match yet, but I could tell its going to be good the way it was acting in pushes and switches. A lot of custom barrels are capable of shooting small in good conditions once they are tuned well, but some seem to buck the wind better than others and are more predictable.

17. USMCDOC

Will be ordering one soon

18. Hi-NV Shooter

Hi-NV Shooter

It is about an 8-week wait for them to make the reamer from the time you place the order

USMCDOC likes this.
  19. USMCDOC

Thank you for letting me know what the lead time is running right now..

20. Hi-NV Shooter

Hi-NV Shooter

I am not sure what it is now, but this past December it was 8-weeks might be less or more now.