Rimfire Barrel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Pawnee Bill, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

Got a wild hair the other day and decided I wanted to build a Ruger 10/22 because I didn't have one. I will be using a Green Mountain sporter barrel @ 18 inches. I remember in the old days cleaning my .22 I had a lead problem and it was tough to get out. With today's barrels will I still have the same problem? If so, what is the best way to clean it?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Bore tech rimfire blend works on my match barrels. Not too harsh like other cleaners. All according to your ammo and barrel quality how you should clean

Lesloan likes this.
  3. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

Thanks Dusty, I'll give it a whirl!

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Im not the rimfire master so take what i say as only a shy suggestion. It works for me where others take too long to settle back in after cleaning.

5. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I tend to shoot my rimfires until I see accuracy degrade. This does not apply if it is going into storage for a few weeks or more as the possibility of corrosion concerns me.
    Sometimes that's a remarkably high count, but I've never noticed leading problems, just excessive carbon fouling.

Are you certain it was leading and not just hard carbon fouling? Leading is probably easier to remove in most circumstances in my experience, hence my question.

6. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

"In the old days...........", I was referring to an old 22 single shot I had as a kid. The leading was probably due to the rough barrel and infrequent cleanings. That was 60 some years ago. That was the last time I shot a 22 rimfire much. Looking forward to better times.

7. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

Ok, I read too much into what you said apparently. Sorry about that.

8. Wiley Coyote

Wiley Coyote

I make no warranty with this expressed, written, or otherwise but I don't think you'll have much trouble with lead fouling. Carbon, that's another issue. There's eventually be the dreaded Carbon Ring build up in front of the chamber. A regular cleaning with Hoppes #9 and a good bent brush to access from the breach will go a long way to keeping you in the one hole groups. The following links to some threads over on RimfireCentral may be of interest:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1132167&highlight=Cleaning
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130977&highlight=Cleaning
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130193&highlight=Cleaning
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127202&highlight=Cleaning

Hope you enjoy your 10/22 as much as I do mine.

9. Just Chuck

Just Chuck

I've gotten to where after a shoot I'll run a bore snake with some Hoppes #9 and that's about it. Same for 223 & 308. I read some posts where guys have to take 'fowling' shots after thorough cleaning, so doesn't make sense to me remove what you have to put back in to make a gun shoot.

Once or twice a year I may give them that thorough cleaning...

10. Rsadams

Rsadams

I doubt your green mountain barrel will be rough like some factory barrels , but lead can be hell to get out and the best way to keep it out of the barrel is to not let it build up like copper in a centerfire rifle... I clean anything after shooting it , been doing it that way for 40 years and it works for me... On the other side I have my grandfather's rifles and he didn't have a strong cleaning game , as a matter of fact he made me clean them when I was a little boy and they still shoot great , some are 75 years old , still working fine...

I have an old Winchester that has probably had tens of thousands of rounds through it and it never got cleaned.. you can feel the lead in it , still shoots great although I finally sat down and cleaned the barrel very very good a few years ago , because it's not getting shot anymore really , it's older than me and parts are hard to find...

The 10/22 is such a pain to clean since you have to go muzzle first I just pull the barrel when it gets nasty... I mean it's two screws extra.... Just got through putting mine back together 10 minutes ago... Especially since I don't know when I will shoot it again... If you clean them with care , I don't see it hurting them , most people don't have coated rods or bore guides , they just have the cleaning kit they got at Walmart...

11. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Google patchworm cleaner kit, easy

Rsadams likes this.
  12. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

Brownells makes a jig to drill the receiver so you can clean it chamber to muzzle. On rimfirecentral they have several, and will "loan" them out. Makes drilling the receiver very easy and makes sure you get the hole in the correct location.

Dusty Stevens and Rsadams like this.
  13. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

You know anyone that has a lathe? If so, just chuck the barrelled action in the lathe and drill a hole in the back of the receiver to accept a cleaning rod.. no more of that silly muzzle first crap..

PatMiles, Rsadams and daleboy like this.
  14. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I drilled my receivers,had no idea there was a jig . I used a cleaning rod through the muzzle with a pointed jag to get where the hole needed to be and drilled from the back . Like USMCDOC stated, a lathe would be ideal .

Rsadams and USMCDOC like this.
  15. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

"The 10/22 is such a pain to clean since you have to go muzzle first I just pull the barrel when it gets nasty.."

I just bought a Brownell's 10/22 receiver for $89.99 that already has the hole drilled.

Rsadams likes this.
  16. Rsadams

Rsadams

Not to hijack the thread , sorry , but I think I will give the cleaning rod as a locator for the hole trick and drill one... I don't shoot the gun because it shoots very well for an out of the box gun , it was my father's who passed a few months ago and he never shot it , maybe one mag through it and back in the safe , 90s model with the metal receiver , but cleaning it properly is a pain and I don't want to hurt the barrel cleaning it backwards not to mention it tears up the coated rods like that...

17. drybean

drybean

Midway sells a drilling fixture for drilling a 10 22
    works great product # 494138

Rsadams likes this.