Rifles went through a fire.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by argrendel, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:19 PM.

1. argrendel

argrendel

I’ve got a buddy whose house burned up last week. Caught during a wind storm with 50 mph gusts. The gun safe helped some, but they all were damaged. I brought the 6 I thought were in the best condition to a smith, who stated they weren’t ruined, didn’t get hot enough, but would need to be re-blued and stock work or replacement. This would cost more than they are worth.
    Would there be a market for the actions? I believe 4- rem 700, two older and two newer, and two 788s.
    Thanks,

Terry

2. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Ask the smith, they may be candidates for salt bath nitride. They would look new and function even better.

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

Watch the springs. Most times they are the first thing damaged

4. MClark

MClark

Where I work we do quite a bit of fire restoration.
    You can get an idea of how hot it got from the condition of the wood and plastic parts. Agree replace springs, cheap to do.
    Most of the scary looking damage is from steam caused by fire fighters spraying water.
    There is a market for actions. Just tell buyer the history of the gun and let them decide if they want it. Fire damage would have a effect on price.

5. 1813benny

1813benny

Had many rifles in a fire back in the mid-80's. They were located 1 floor above the fire in the opposite corner of the house and appeared ok until you looked more closely. They ultimately were found to have extensive damage due to the steam of fighting the fire and acidic smoke from plastics / carpet, etc. burning. Screws from slight switch covers would twist right off.....

The safe may have protected them from some damage, but if it wasn't hot enough to fully expand the safe door seal, I'd bet that the smoke and steam did damage.

Either way, I hope that the owner gets it sorted out to their satisfaction.
    Regards,
    ken

6. argrendel

argrendel

Thanks guys, I’ll pass this on. I had similar thoughts on the springs and such. No idea it was the steam that was the culprit. When something like this happens, it reminds us of how quickly life can change. So grateful the smoke alarms worked and there were no injuries.

mikeinct likes this.
  7. Rocketvapor

Rocketvapor

I bought a 'De-milled" SKS from a Colorado fire.
    Guns were in a safe but very obvious damage.
    Springs were shot, barrel visibly bent, probably from gas tube growing when hot, bought for parts.

The gas piston looked fine but would bent with one shot. Straightened and bent again.
    Heat treated parts might not show damage.

8. Bindi2

Bindi2

Weld them up and hang on the wall. They are ticking bombs.

9. drcook

drcook

The only real way to test if they "didn't get hot enough" is to use a hardness tester. You cannot tell just by looking at a piece of metal. It takes longer for the person to walk over to the machine than it does to do a hardness test.

During all the years that I worked in machine shops, I never ever met a person who could accurately tell by looking at piece of metal, and/or knicking it with a file. A person can guess by judging the discoloration and/or the degree the wood was charred in the safe.

I used to do heat treat of small tool steel stamping die parts with a torch and could get close by the color, but I still had to use temp sticks to tell when I actually hit the required temps. (yellow label tool steel, at another shop we used white label tool steel but did the white label in a furnace).

D-4297 and hpshooter like this.
  10. akajun

akajun

correct, have them hardness tested, its not expensive on a 700 you want the action to be about 30-32rc or so.