Reworking a Remington bolt.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by golfer2b2000, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:20 AM.

1. golfer2b2000

golfer2b2000 Silver $$ Contributor

I just purchased an older Remington 40X rifle. There seems to be quite a bit of wear on the boltface. It still functions nicely though.
    I would either like to have a new bolt made, or have the one I got reworked as to make the boltface and lugs and all look new.
    Is this a possibility?
    Is it possible to have a new bolt manufactured for it?
    I know it will be expensive if it is to be done, but I am willing to go that route.
    I would just like to know my options...

2. ben lurkin

ben lurkin Silver $$ Contributor

Your bolt can likely be machined to clean up the locking lugs and bolt face. Post a picture of yours. It sounds like it may just be cosmetic? Be aware, the locking lug recesses in your receiver will very likely look about like your locking lugs.

Pacific Tool & Gauge, among others, can supply you with a replacement bolt if you decide to go that route.

Any of these will almost certainly affect the headspace of your gun. So now you have another problem. And if the barrel has the same wear as suggested by your bolt, well. . . Now would be the time to replace that too.

See how these things snowball?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 10:18 AM
  3. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

Ben is right in saying what you have may only be cosmetic. What do the backs of your lugs look like? Do they look galled and worn? If not, that saves some money as those can also be worked over. Cosmetic damage on the face of the bolt is merely, well, cosmetic. Have you shot this rifle and how does it function? No problems, leave it alone. Make a note of how the spent primers look as that might indicate an oversized firing pin hole or undersized firing pin. Those can all be fixed if needed. Just shoot the rifle and worry about all that stuff afterward.

wwbrown likes this.
  4. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Gold $$ Contributor

Look at the lugs, should be no scratching or galling. Look at the cocking cam,firing pin ramp. Is it galled or smooth? You may just have a well broken in bolt, which is preferable in my mind. If the cocking ramp or lugs are galled or damaged, then proceed with reworking or replacement.

5. golfer2b2000

I will try and post pictures soon.

natdscott likes this.
  6. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Silver $$ Contributor

Yes. That will help us big time.

7. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Golfer2b2000,
    First, how is the golf going? My shooting suffers every summer traveling the country with my son to elite golf tournaments. Now he's playing college golf. I'm a big golf fan and I make myself find time to walk 18 1x/week because I'm just not getting enough exercise.

As for your bolt, if it needs much cleanup, then you'll negatively affect extraction. Of course it will affect headspace so you call it a "rifle" rather than an action, so if you're trying to preserve headspace, that might be a problem. Of course if it doesn't change much, a good smith can pull the barrel and rework the tenon.

As for a new bolt, it is quite doable, and I've been doing it quite a bit, to fit a PTG bolt to your action. The PTG can be purchased with a small firing pin, fluting, and any diameter you want. It is a nice upgrade. It does need to be professionally fit but often the fit is quite simple. It will change your headspace.

--Jerry

8. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Silver $$ Contributor

I would add that the FP hole should not have any dings or cuts around it, and the bolt face should not have an annular ring of pitting and craters around the FP hole [from blown primers].

9. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

First rule of engineering: If it works don't fix it!

First test fire the gun and if there are no problems fire the gun enough to see if it performs to your liking, if it doesn't try to figure out if the bolt issues are causing the performance issues, if so fix the bolt if not leave it be.

I understand that the some people can't live with a cosmetic issue, for example as far as I am concerned a fuel gauge that reads 1/4 left to me is pretty much of a cosmetic problem unless in an area that has short distances between gas stations. I don't think my Father ever saw the needle below 1/3 on his car as he could not tolerate the cosmetic problem of a low fuel gauge. When I moved him from TN to MN I had to stop for gas 2 additional times so his head did not explode when I tried to manage my fuel levels the way I do. I was never able to get less than 100 miles left in the tank before stopping for gas. I had over 100,000 miles on the truck and knew the amount left but that made no difference to my dad.

10. golfer2b2000

I may just leave it alone for now. I took it out, shot 3 groups of three shots each and all were a tad under 3/4ths of an inch.Even if I stacked the targets on top of each other it would still be under that.
    It is only going to be a groundhog gun, and I doubt if the groundhog would care.

Attached Files:

11. golfer2b2000

pics of boltface and lugs

Attached Files:

12. golfer2b2000

On the last pic I noticed a seperation roughly an inch from the top of the bolt. It looks way to consistant to be a crack. Is this something I need to be concerned with? Look closly and you can see it circling the circumferance of the bolt.

13. golfer2b2000

The back of the lugs looked just fine, but I will also try to post a couple pics of them soon

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Thats where the bolt head is soldered onto the body

butchlambert likes this.
  15. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

If you are a golfer you know it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

16. carlsbad

I don't see anything that needs fixing.

daleboy likes this.
  17. golfer2b2000

Great!! Thats what I want to hear...
    And yes butchlambert, I know all about the arrows.LOL

butchlambert likes this.
  18. golfer2b2000

I have never seen this on my other bolts on my Remingtons. I didnt know if this was normal or not. This seemed to be too consistant to be a crack.

19. carlsbad

Usually it isn't so noticeable but seldom is it invisible.

20. golfer2b2000

I purchased this rifle from a member on 6BR. It looks to be quite an old action. The rifle seems to eject and function perfectly. I have always been very interested in the 221 Fireball cartridge basically because of the little recoil, with still the power to make good clean kills out to 200 yards. I also have a 204 ruger that does well also, and this is going to cause a challenge when I go chuck hunting because of which one to take.
    I am going to work up some loads for the 221 Fireball, but factory ammo has allready produced some impressive groups. If you have a factory rifle, and it is capable of 3/4 inch groups, I believe that is very acceptable. I believe I can get the groups a bit better, but if I am using it for woodchucks I probably don't have to go any further.
    I would like to experiment with a few lighter bullets though.