Removing barrel

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Link, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Will there be any changes when you remove a barrel and put it back on? Do they always index the same? How about shoulder bump etc. Anything ? Action is a Panda.
    thanks

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Itll go back to measure the same and all that but they never seem to shoot the same in reality. This is from a guy whos seen a lot of br barrels took off to get saved and never impress again

3. Link

Just when I get my rifle shooting ''OK'' I am thinking of adding weight to the front of the stock [ a mercury tube ] so now maybe not !!

4. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

I have three panda actions,
    Long action F-class
    Short action F-class
    Glue in action for my PPC

I have changed barrels on my dasher a lot, and have never seen a change.
    I have removed the barrel on my 284 at least a dozen times and have never seen a change.
    The PPC I have not changed yet, so I know nothing as it relates to the PPC.
    Hope this helps
    CW

comagutsa, boltfluter, Spook and 4 others like this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

What i said only applies to a hummer barrel situation. If its just shooting good its not going to hurt anything

6. Tim s

Tim s

Do I understand you to mean a hummer once removed is less likely to return to hummer status ?

7. Dusty Stevens

Thats what ive seen. Those barrels saved for the super shoot or nationals dont seem to go back. Most put the whole gun up instead of just the barrel

dgeesaman and mikeinct like this.
  8. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

Been there and done it. I have been asked about the barrel I shot at St Louis in 15. I have put it back on a couple times and it has never shot like it did that week .
    Joe

mikeinct, seymour fish and D Coots like this.
  9. jdh47

jdh47 Silver $$ Contributor

It is more likely an ammo issue rather than the barrel. It should go back the same if it's put back on with the same ft/lbs of torque as before.

10. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Makes sense if you assume the Hummer is tuned perfectly for the bullet to exit as the muzzle is stationary. Any minor change in the joint between the barrel and action will slightly change the harmonic frequency of the assembly.

Texas10 and vahena like this.
  11. Dusty Stevens

Exactly right. Theres a bunch of examples just like that.

12. Tim s

Tim s

Yeah, except the best BR shooter in the historyof BR, that is exactly what he does, year in and year out.
    If I’m not mistaken, more than a few of , at least last years USA world team, tested several bbl’s and pulled the contenders for the shoot.
    What am I missing here?

Mulligan likes this.
  13. Dusty Stevens

Nothing.

14. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

I had this very same conversation with Tony at Weikert I believe. He had a gun he hadn't shot because he didn't want to remove the barrel or use it up.
    Joe

seymour fish and ljmontano like this.
  15. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Can it go the other way?:p
    I’m an eternal optimist. I have some barrels that don’t shoot well. I’ll shoot them for a while, trying different loads, then pull them . Maybe the next season, I’ll reinstall them and try some more loads. (My hope is that I’ve learned something and this time I’ll do better, i.e. It’s me, not the barrel)
    Someday, might I put one on with just a little different torque, my new dies will produce the perfect shell with a different bullet and bingo! It shoots! Maybe?:D

mikeinct and tmwinds like this.
  16. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

If taking them off and reinstalling makes a hummer barrel shoot worse, then it has to work the other way around. It could make a good barrel shoot great. Has anyone seen this? Is a hummer barrel really the barrel or the “whole enchilada”?
    CW

mikeinct and Rushty like this.
  17. gunnermhr

gunnermhr

I haven't seen a difference, I believe if the machine work has been done properly and everything is square there are no issues. I switch barrels on a regular basis and have never had a great barrel shoot worse after changing it out.

I also believe confidence in your equipment is a huge deal, if you switch a barrel and don't think it's going to work as good as it did before you'll likely see or feel its performance is lacking.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  18. spaniel

spaniel

Why would you need to remove the barrel from the action to work on the stock? Is the action glued in? Removing the barreled action from the stock to work on the stock is no big deal.

19. Link

Yup glued in.

20. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Silver $$ Contributor

Sorry to go a tiny bit off subject, but if an action is glued in, how can you change the barrel without removing the action from the stock?

New to this game.