Remington 870 tac 14

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by remdriver, Jun 1, 2018.

1. remdriver

remdriver Silver $$ Contributor

Wondering are these legal without a stamp

2. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

I believe so since its a "pistol"

3. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

I just got the explanation from an atf official at a gun show . No stamp needed , you just can't change the stock . At least down here it's legal but he said some states are not so

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Same as the shockwave- way too much gray area for most cops. Youll get off but may have to go to jail until you prove its legal. Never have figured out why folks like to push the law. Remington and mossberg shouldnt make em. A cop with a tape measure will never make that barrel long enough and may not know the footnotes about total length and never had a stock on it

dwall likes this.
  5. remdriver

Thanks everyone. They don't do much for me, but when I saw one in a lgs it got me wondering about it.

Will

6. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor

People push the laws bc the majority of laws are stupid. Americans get frustrated when Congress can’t pass bills. That’s honestly a perfect Congress. The more bills they pass the more BS laws we have to navigate and deal with.

kvd and theMadAlaskan like this.
  7. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor

81CCA84B-D1A7-41FA-81DC-71B6A142940D.jpeg I can definitely see how this can make you spend a night in jail though....

8. bpd459

bpd459 Gold $$ Contributor

Greetings,
    These are not "pistols"" in the eyes of the ATF. The Rem Tac-14, and the Mossberg version are listed as a "Firearm", or an "Other" on the 4473. Sold new, they were never outfitted with a "stock". As long as it stays 26"+ OAL, its a firearm. Anything shorter, its either a lawfully stamped "Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) or its an illegal length firearm.
    I have one and its an outstanding platform. Punch it out, and shoot it from eye level.
    Good luck,
    John

9. Dusty Stevens

Take that shotgun and show it to 10 cops and 9.5 of them will say its illegal. Tell em you got a 14” barrel on a shotgun. I know cops and they know the basic outline of most laws. They need to know so much about everything they cant keep up. If i had my way you could have a full auto 9” ar-15 on the shelf at fine retailers

300_whisper likes this.
  10. bpd459

bpd459 Gold $$ Contributor

Greetings ,
    I just retired from a 30 year LE career. I have never seen 9.5 out if 10 cops agree on anything, much less the legality of a mass produced / advertised firearm.
    Pretty simple , be an idiot with a Parker SxS or an 870 Tac-14, you will get in trouble just as fast as having a sawed off Savage single barrel.

Mossberg-Shockwave-Letter-From-ATF
    PDFMossberg › uploads › 2017/03 › Shockw...

Good luck,
    John

kvd likes this.
  11. remdriver

I ran into a game warden friend this morning and he said any shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18 inches was felony in the state of Florida

12. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

remdriver,
    Your game warden friend hasn't a clue!!

13. remdriver

Now you're probably right about that.

14. hikfromstik

hikfromstik

Anyone remember the leinad ( Daniel backwards ) . I believe they we're about $100 . My good friend has one in a side by side 410 . He had it confiscated and brought back to him after they deemed it legal.

15. Dusty Stevens

This is exactly what will happen and is what ive been trying to say. If a shotgun barrel is less than 18 or a rifle less than 16 youre going to have issues unless you have a stamp- i know too many of em.