Remington 783 Experience

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Knotwild, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I have to preface this experience with the fact that I am not an accomplished "home" gunsmith - no patience and no knowledge. But, Remington offered something that met my needs as well as my budget. That being a .223 beater bolt rifle with a short threaded barrel for suppressor use. I thought about a Tikka, knowing they would shoot, but nothing was threaded. I almost went Howa, but then I read some good reviews on the 783 they just introduced that has a heavier 16.5" threaded barrel, and remember I am talking beater here.

I put a 2.5x10 Leica on it along with my Silencerco Hybrid suppressor, did an abbreviated barrel break in, and shot a couple of 3 shot groups. It shot erratically with one good group around 0.8" and the rest around 1.25". So, I brought back in, sand papered the barrel channel out, cleaned it, and didn't find much copper fowling. So, I stepped back outside to shoot 16 shots with the barrel cooling only for the length of time for me to run to the target, look and come back. I shot three shots at the 200 yd gong to fowl the barrel. I used an old Wichita front rest with a bag rear and just shot. I didn't try to account for the wind (8-10 mph 10 degrees over my shoulder). The group using the 55gr. Barnes TSX had a called flier, so I shot a forth that followed the first 2 home. I think I will try to work up a load with some 50 - 53gr bullets.

I like it so far, especially if I can reduce the trigger pull some more. But I forgot to mention that it appears that Remington sent a magazine for the .308 family, so it is a single shot until I can get a .223 magazine. See the target picture for the results. Rifle 1.jpg Targest Resized.jpg
    Targest Resized.jpg

2. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

I just bought a 783 in 223 for a project, but mine does not have the threaded barrel. Mine is a combo deal from cabelas (I know, scope is junk but maybe the rings are usable). Where did your rig come from with the threaded barrel?

3. MOTORSPORTS55

MOTORSPORTS55 Silver $$ Contributor

I bought a Remington 783 for my son in a 308 just for the idea had a clip When we took it out to shoot for the first time I was very impressed for a rifle for under $300 and factory Ammo.

4. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I bought mine from Classic Firearms (https://www.classicfirearms.com/rem-85764-783-dm-hb-tb-tact/). They also make the short barrel model in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308. Midway was where I initially saw it but when I emailed them and asked them if they would ship to my FFL if I had the license emailed to them, they said they only shipped to their "preferred dealers", and wanted my dealer to "reach out" to them to answer questions before coming preferred. They implied I was trying to skirt Federal law in the email, so I bought from Classic Firearms. My only downside to that was it was $20 higher and they charged sales tax.

I also liked it because it came with a picatiny scope rail. It only took about 20 minutes to sand out the barrel channel, but the stock is real flimsy.

jpx2rk likes this.