remington 700P .223 1 in 9 twist "best ammo"

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by stinnett1981, Mar 16, 2012.

1. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

Just bought a remington 700P .223 1 in 9 twist. i shot it twice. I've shoot 40 grain v max and 53 grain v max. both rounds shot golf ball size groups at 100 yard, tennis ball size groups at 200 yards and soft ball size groups at 300 yards. Im not a experienced shooter, but is this good? what is the best ammo for this rifle??? Im buying store bought ammo. i plan on hand loading soon! i have a 4x16 bushnell elite 4200 scope on it. Im shooting with a Harris bipod too. anybody out there with a .223 700P?????

2. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member Gold $$ Contributor

We will have plenty of hand load suggestion when ready!

HSM has some decent ammo that should shoot fine in your gun, I let my kids use my 9 twist with this ammo, it' capable of 1/2 groups! Cabela's also carries there ammo!

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsm22355grv-max.aspx

They also have some HSM 69 grn BTHP that shoot good out of a 9 twist.

www.cheaperthandirt.com

Has Federal ammo at a good price, NBT'a and 69 smk's

Part numbers: 6-0305007 , and 6-0305726

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/60305726-1.html

Federal IMO is some of the best Factory ammo available, and this company seems decent with their pricing!

Hope this helps

3. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

With that twist, I'd try heavier bullets. I don't shoot factory stuff but from range observations of others that do, Federal, the 69gr Gold Medal or 62gr American Eagle shoot well. For lighter weights, try the Hornady 55gr V-Max & 55gr Superformance. Good Luck with your rifle. Hog

4. tazzman

tazzman

Hi stinnett1981,
    What you have has the potential to be more accurate than what you have had so far.
    I recommend practice. If possible with a fellow shooter that is good at it and willing to lend you a hand.
    Your 1-9 twist is good for bullets up to approx 70 gr.
    Anything from 40 gr. to 70 gr. has the potential to be very accurate. It is up to you to find out which, and this is where your experienced fellow shooter comes in. He/she will help you on technique and munition choice. Your rifle will let you know what it likes.
    Keep at it and you will soon be hooked like most of us are already!

Cheers,

Phil aka tazzman

5. Exocet

Exocet

I have a 700P. On the heavy end, it shoots 68 Hornadys and 69 Sierra Matchkings very well. I have also shot 75 Hornady BTHP's and they still hold under an inch group at 100 yards for me. I think they are marginal though as far as stability goes. YMMV. You'll have to try some to see.

I've also shot a lot of 55 Bergers which will rip one ragged hole at 100 yards most times for me.

6. premo 2

premo 2

just use the 69gr. Cor-Bon and save the brass it will tell you what your rifle will do

7. tido250

tido250

I wouldn't rule out black hills ammo either,I've shot the 55 gr soft points and the 60 gr v-max in a Stevens m200 1-9 sporter that shot as well as basic handloads.

8. DennisH

As per another post on Savage Shooters, 69 smk's seem to do very well with everyone. It s a Savage 223 with a 9 twist.

One shooter took his best 53grn V-Max group and started adjusting the COAL .010 at a time. I am actually shocked at the results .010 made with his groups!

I will find the post later, post the link here, and you read it at your convience!

As I told them, I knew A-Max's and V-Max's were sensitive to seating depth! None of mine never liked being on or in the lands.

I would have never figured .010 would make a difference. I usually go starting out, .010, .030, then .050 and will find what any of my guns like. Looks like I am going to try some inbetween lengths as well NOW!

Here it is: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,48530.0.html

Dennis

9. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

Thanks guys. I will try some heavier bullets. And soon I will be buying a reloading kit from cabelas. Thinking the more expensive $800 RCBS kit. Thats in the future! Now I would like to ask about how to position and hold a rifle when shooting. Im shooting from the bed of a truck with a harris bipod and sand bags at the rear of the stock. Im obviously laying on my belly when shooting. Ive noticed the stock isnt placed on my shoulder very tightly. Im pretty much sitting the rifle on the sand bags and lightly putting the stock on my shoulders. Then im putting the crosshairs on the bullseye and then I pull the trigger. Then when the rifle fires it jumps up a few inches because its not tightly on my shoulder and I just have my trigger hand on the gun lightly. Can anybody give me a good step by step process to hold and shoot a rifle properly from a laying position???? OR is a laying position not a accurate position to shoot from????

10. DennisH

This is probably the best, laying position! I love shooting with sand bags, started when I was a kid! IMO still to this day, I consider this the best! I do use a "GOOD" bi-pod, or high quality front rest with a bag fitted for my stock!

With my light calibers, this is pretty much how I do it! I do put a little touch/pressure on my shoulder, if windy, I don't touch the butt at all! I concentrate keeping the target dot on the target! 6.5x47 Lapua and less. My 270 & and up requires pressure unless you want a bloody nose! Same procedure with the front rest!

If I need to get things done quick, I swear by my Sinclair new generation front bi-pod! Ugly and big, but it works! Sometimes this and a rubber intertube filled with sand is all I use! Something about the rubber seems to keep movement to a mininum!

I will have to say, if I hold the forearm and pull back just a little, my groups seem tighter! I only do this paper shooting. Hunting, the less than 3/4" group difference doesn't matter!

11. Scotsman1

Scotsman1

All the guys are correct. I've got two 223 Remy's, and if ya gonna shoot factory ammo for now, Black Hills 68 HV match and their new 69 smk's are excellent.
    Hands down, the best factory ammo loads I've ever shot.

You can take that rifle up to 75gr bullets and they will impress you. Those lighter 40-55gr don't group well in that 1-9 in a 700 from my exp.

12. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

Scotsman1
    Do those lighter varmint rounds shoot good when handloaded?

13. Scotsman1

Scotsman1

Those lighter rounds you mentioned, work great for a 1-10,1-12,1-14...Twist barrels.
    Lots of guys load em' hot and they work incredible for those types of rifles. They are (screaming out)!
    But speed isn't always necessary to that extreme. That's what 22-250's or for.
    You can shoot them all day, but, you're gonna keep getting groups like you had.
    With the twist YOU have, you must go heavier like we mentioned.

That rifle you have can shoot 1/2 MOA with the right load.
    Try the 68's, 69's 70's and 75's. I'll wager, that it shoots the 68-69's almost Hole-in-Hole.
    If ya can't load them yet, get BlackHills. Its worth it. AND save your brass to reload.

When you are ready to reload, there is a multitude of info on here! Ask anyone, we will help.
    Just holler If I can help,
    Scotsman

14. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

Thanks alot scotman1! When i start reloading i will ask u guys. i just bought some HSM 60 grain Vmax. do u think those heavier varmint rounds will do better than the 40's and 50 gainers? i bought some federal gold 69 grain SMK too. Im gonna go shooting this weekend. Gonna shoot 100, 200 and 300 yards with both types of ammo!

15. DennisH

69 smk's shoot perfect in my 9 twist!

I do have a pretty good load for my 53grn A-Max's, I am going to try Nossler Ballastic Tips as I do like those better for varmit hunting!

I also have a 22-250 and agree with Scotsman1.

I have good luck with 50 to 70 grain Nosler BT's in my 223, 22-250, and 243, all 9 twist!

I will keep you posted.

16. DennisH

PS: HSM 55grn V-Max are GOOD bullets, I do shoot those and currently still have several boxes for my 223!

My 308's loves HSM ammo! There not well known and not all ammo I have tried from HSM drove tac's, but for the most part, they do great!

Federal's are expensive, but the Gold Medal are great!

17. Scotsman1

Scotsman1

The 60 V's will shoot great for you. The 69's you've got, even better. Just make sure your scope and rings are properly fit. As DennisH said earlier, make yourself a good rest. Shooting off of a truck isn't always the best thing for accuracy. Trucks move in the wind, and especially the slightest human bodily shift can throw you off a 1/32 of an inch at the muzzle. And that, will turn into feet down range.
    Granted, I have shot-a-many P-dogs out of a truck, that's hunting and a different ballgame.

Get yourself a rest/bags, or go prone. Find what ever you can to steady your rifle and keep that position consistant, shot after shot. Once you find that "sweet spot" and perfect the load your rifle wants, you will develop confidence to hit anything.
    Then you can start trying to do ridiculous stuff, like shooting eggs at 350 to 500. Trust me, your rifle can do that.

As it is for most of us, the question is not wether the rifle/load can hit it, its wether (we) are capable of keeping up with the rifles ability.

Good luck brother,

18. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

Sounds great! I have been shooting guns my whole life (shot guns and .22LR). Here in southern illinois we cant deer hunt with rifles. Gotta use a slug gun. The only thing we can hunt with a centerfire rifle is coyote and other varmints. So im new to centerfire rifle shooting. I have plenty of land so I can target shoot and coyote hunt anytime. I just need to become a better shot and learn to handload. Freekin ammo is expensive!!!!!! When hand loading, how much does a round cost on average??? Talking if one buys bulk amount of bullets, powder, primers and cases. Thanks for all the info guys. I will have lots more questions in the future! Im gonna go shooting this weekend. I will let u all know how I do with the 60g vmax's and the 69g smk's!!!

19. Hoier

Hoier

Depends what bullets your using but about 30 cents a round would be close.

20. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

Went shooting today. All at 100 yards. Shot 40 rounds of 69SMK and 40 rounds of 60Vmax. Shot the 69SMK first. After the first 5 round group I had to adjust the scope 2 clicks high. After that I was shooting dime size groups on the bullseye. It was pretty much 1 dime size hole. I was amazed! Then I went to the 60Vmax. My first 5 round group was the size of a quarter but for some strange reason it was shooting 1 inch 2 o'clock??? I shot another 5 round group and it did the same thing. The group looked great, but why is it shooting 1 inch 2 o'clock???? I adjusted the scope 2 clicks left and 2 clicks down. I shot another 5 round group and was hitting bullseye. After I was done shooting I adjusted the scope back to the 69SMK's. I now know the adjustments to make on the scope if im shooting the 60Vmax's. Can anybody tell me why the 60Vmax shoot 1 inch 2 o'clock???