Remington 40X--Explain Please

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by bench, Nov 29, 2015.

1. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

As far as a long action, I have never seen or heard of one. Remington advertises as my post states, "all are short action regardless of the caliber". My 25-06 would have normally been in a long action, but due to the fact it was a 40x it was mfg as a short action. If you wanted to remove a loaded round you had to remove the bolt. There maybe an exception to this rule in later production yrs, but I have found no advertising to that effect.
    LDS

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Ggmac likes this.
  2. 1911nut

1911nut

3. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

It's been said here that these are no better than any 700 off the rack, and that may be. Mine is nicer than most of the stock 700's I've seen, and I'm happy to have it. For one thing, in my little corner of the world. I've never seen a 22BR on the rack.

I think I've dated mine at 1978. Barrel is twisted 1/14, and I've had good success up to 55 gr. bullets. I've barely scratched the surface with load development, and there's room for improvement. It will be lots of fun to tinker with in my future. :) jd

001 (3).JPG

002.JPG

Evan, 300_whisper, timeout and 2 others like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The pant leg sandbags and term paper writing machine are nice touches ^^

jds holler likes this.
  5. klamathsteel

klamathsteel

Ft . If that is directed at my post I assure you I was not trying to impress anybody. My shooting is not impressive . Was just trying to contribute a bit to the thread.

Ramblerman likes this.
  6. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Just ignore him and his internet muscles,you are fine.

7. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Beautiful rifle...and don't believe all that crap that the 40x is just another rifle off the rack.

WyleWD likes this.
  8. ebb

ebb

I shot with a guy at manatee that had a brand new 40X in 300ultra mag. And just like all are saying it was short action. And I did see him have to pull the bolt to get around out of the chamber. As I sat next to him and shot my Sako TRGS, I thought WHY would you make a rifle you couldn't unload? I have at least a 1/2 dozen Remingtons in the safe, but every now and them they do some stupid crap.

Ggmac likes this.
  9. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot Gold $$ Contributor

If you go to the Remington website, https://www.remington.com/custom-shop/40-x-series-rifles, you can find all kinds of information on the 40-X line. They come from the Remington Custom shop. Expensive, yet there is a long wait for them.

Here's a quote from the 40-X section of the website: "Choose from the high performance, shot-to-shot superiority of our legendary Model 40-X, or the standard-setting, ultra-precise 40-XB. Both designed to deliver dead-on accuracy from the woods to the range, and built to your exact specifications. They’re customizable from a wide variety of options including caliber, trigger pull weight, wood finish, engravings and decorative inlays. Let us get started on yours today."

10. Hal

Hal

Can you post a picture of one, all the ones I have seen were short actions.

Hal

11. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Just making a post that I consider a rifle's accuracy shown with a few groups. Not downplaying your post at all.
    Dalebouy follows my posts like a puppy dog.

pirate ammo likes this.
  12. lightman

lightman

This is a timely and interesting thread for me. I have been looking at a 40X in 223. I doesn't look like anything special, more like just another M-700. Its a repeater with what I think is an HS Precision stock. I'm trying to convince myself that its not just another 700 but its calling to me. I can buy a used 700 and put a Kreiger barrel it for what this 40X will cost and I know the 700 with the Kreiger will shoot. But its calling hart to me!

13. butchlambert

The 40X will have a higher resale value, but I've been told by some folks that I trust years ago that they just pulled 700SA off the line before the numbers and letters were roll stamped and used in the custom shop.
    If I were wanting a precision shooter, I would sell the 40X and do the Kreiger-700.

14. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

This isn't any brag about group size, but these are the two targets that came with the 2 I have from the factory. Just sharing a bit of nostalgia to the discussion. I acquired them due to my Dad's death, so they are sentimental to me. On the 222 I recall the smallest 5 shot group I shot at 100 yards was 0.189". I think both targets do show the accuracy is better than I would expect from a 700 off the line.

Front.jpg Back.jpg

jds holler and butchlambert like this.
  15. butchlambert

That is a good way to post targets.

pirate ammo and jepp2 like this.
  16. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

I measured the back of the receiver on a stainless Rem 700 and a stainless 40-XB. Both measure 1.37 in diameter. Where they differ physically is the barrel contour. The 40-XB barrel contour remains thicker to the muzzle and barrel is longer 27 3/4 for the one I measured vs 24 or 26 in on target Rem 700s.

The Remington website lists the 40-X action as being widely used in Benchrest shooting, is that still the case?

17. Chris Covell

Chris Covell Silver $$ Contributor

I have always wanted one in a 6 international.

18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Not in many years- like 25yrs ago they were tapering off.

19. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

Thanks, that was my impression but I don't have first hand knowledge.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  20. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor