Remington 40X--Explain Please

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by bench, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

So Poorboy, was the palm rest/rail an addition that you specified when ordering the rifle?
    I've been told that these rifles were made to order, and was kind of interested in the process.
    [​IMG]

My 40XBR, has this gawd-awful recoil pad which seems to be a factory installation. Perhaps the original owner was a long armed galloot who needed a longer stock?? It isn't like a recoil pad would be needed for 22BR. ::)
    [​IMG]
    I'd love to find out more about the history of this one. So far, all I know is that it was traded for a tattoo, and it's not on the "hot list". jd

2. poorboy

poorboy

I didn't order mine, it was in stock at a LGS and the palm rest was already installed on the stock. Didn't work very well for shooting groundhogs off sandbags, so I removed it. Luckily, I haven't lost it all these years. Still have the box it came in too but it was stored in a bad place and it's in rough shape. Looks like a recoil pad has been added to yours, I don't think it came with that. Mine is the one than should have a recoil pad ;D

3. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Well, when I get around to it, it's coming off. I'll send it to ya. ;) jd

4. XTR

XTR

Since we're all telling what we've got, mine is a 22LR that I got as a barreled action off of GB. (Complete with bolt release and springs) I was told it was a BR shooters backup and he was just not shooting enough to keep it.

It has a Lilja barrel, not sure of the chamber.

The serial # is 05**, it is an early version with a straight bolt handle.

Today it is mounted in a PR&T stock with a NF 32BR. I shoot it for FTR practice.

A couple of months ago I was over at a friends and he got out his Annie. Shooting Eley black or yellow it shot 5 into one hole as often as not at 40 yards. I don't think we decided which shot better.

[​IMG]

5. GerryM

GerryM

As i mentioned in my post I have a course gun 40X
    repeater with a rangemaster stock in 308 with a clip slot shoots great'' also have a 40 in a 40X Br stock in heavy varnint That shoots very very well also.
    sorry for no PX They were great buy in the 70,s But like a poster said they have something to be desired in today,s Benchrest market
    They are a bit pricey considering what you get.

6. John from MN

John from MN

The Remington XR 100 is also a good choice, but stock selection is limited.

Bangs OH likes this.
  7. GerryM

GerryM

The model 7 Remington has the same foot print
    It is a repeater They need some trueing to be set up like 40X
    a short action 700 is also good same deal need some tuning.
    All of that was usually done in the custom shop on a 40X or XBR action.

8. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Are you referring to the post just above yours talking about an XR-100 action, or the original 40-X question?

The Model Seven is the same footprint as the XR-100, but not the same as the Model 700/40-X.

The former are about 1/2" shorter than the 700/40-X family, and stocks are not interchangeable.

You may have known the difference but the way your reply was written, it could be confusing for others.

9. manitou210

manitou210

Here is Rem 40xbr I bought in March 2019 not 500 rounds fired 1965 production

Attached Files:

mikeinct and Dusty Stevens like this.
  10. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

I recently acquired a .22 40X position rifle in 90% condition. It is not quite as accurate as an Anschutz factory BR II have or my BSA International but I have more testing to do with match quality 22 ammo. My preference for single shot rifles is costing me more than I thought it would but they are fun to shoot.

perry42

11. klamathsteel

klamathsteel

My father in law recently gave me his 40X (with a B at the end of the serial #) chambered in 6MM REM that he got in about 1965.
    When the factory barrell was shot out ( around 1968 or 9 i think ?) he sent it to Hart barrell and had a 26" heavy SS barrell put on it. Soon after that he kinda lost interest in bench shooting and put it away with probably only 2-3 hundred rounds through it. So 50 years later i now have it. Been working up loads for it the last couple months and i think i'm about there. Unfortunately it's a 12 twist so i'm limited on the heavier pills but it seems to be liking the Sierra 85 GR. HPBT just fine. Pic is a 5 shot group last evening. I shoot left handed and i felt myself pull that one to the left :( Gonna do a little seating depth tweeking and see what happens.

Attached Files:

12. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I only have 2 40X rimfires left. One was built on the early 722 receiver and the other is modeled after the 700.

13. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I believe that if you want to impress somebody with your group pictures, show 4 or 5 groups on the same piece of paper. That is the best indicator of accuracy.

14. Bangs OH

Bangs OH

Agreed. The “poor man’s” 40-X. Maybe better. Built off of the XP-100 pistol action.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  15. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

In the early 70s Gun City in Nashville Tn had
    40xs on floor rack displays like you would find
    any Remington Product. They were plentiful.
    I bought a 40XB in 25-06 for 236.00 and tax.
    The display cases had all models of Unertl scopes.
    I bought a 16 Ultra Varmint for 155.00 plus tax. I guess
    those were the good ole days. LDS

MrMajestic and Bangs OH like this.
  16. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

A 40-X, like the Colt Python did, represents Remington’s best production effort. These guns can presently be bought below replacement cost for basically one reason, the guns long outlived the men who paid dearly for them, and to most heirs, they are what a silver tea set would be to a lot of us here. There are 50 year old examples available that will make you swear no improvements in steel or machining have occurred at all, since then.

The name obviously implies shooting tight, center shots, but it’s the quality that will addict you. The smoothness of the bolt operation, its seemingly impossible steel hardness, and the irrefutably ideal barrel proportions where all potential strength and rigidity has been captured just before more weight would become counterproductive, reveal the superior thinking of its design.

You can’t improve it. Like the old, unchanging profile of a Boeing jet’s nose or a bone stock Hemi car, I wouldn’t suggest starting a modification to its metal, at least if you ever might sell it. I won’t argue that a smith couldn’t possibly wring more accuracy out of one with his lathe, but as a collector of these guns, it’s Remington’s way if it’s supposed to be a 40-X, otherwise it’s just another one off used gun. Can’t help feeling that way.

hpshooter and daleboy like this.
  17. simo hayha

simo hayha

They do make them in long action... But they are hard to find. All 40x come out of rems custom shop

18. 1911nut

1911nut

Here’s an early 1970’s 40XBR 222 I had. The target is 5 shots at 100yds

DE4069E4-9490-4B7E-A91F-9D7CC5B89660.jpeg C848D5C0-4287-48FD-B5FF-7A7204FE42EE.jpeg

300_whisper and mikeinct like this.
  19. 1911nut

1911nut

Remington made a 40XBR 22 Rimfire benchrest rifle for a few years.

The target is 3 shot groups at 50yds trying to get the tuner setup.

If you want a drinking problem get a 22 Rimfire bench gun with a tuner and oh yeah, try a bloop tube on the tuner.

19C8B884-D851-4CCB-86BE-9A9E520DAF75.jpeg 19B7B0B4-B49F-47A0-BCC9-BED0A3C22877.jpeg

300_whisper likes this.
  20. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I have one. It loves lapua xact. Mine is a 40xrbr with the green mcmillan stock like you show. It has an ezell tuner with bloop tube on it