rem 700mtn rifle opinions??

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by FryeGuy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

So I finally found a 260 rem locally in a rifle configuration that really interested me. It's one of the early mountain rifles, detachable mag, walnut stock, blued. I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with these rifles? I know they are lightweight, and skinny barrels. (I am tired of lugging heavy guns around hunting anymore.) please, anyone's personal experience would help. give me the good & bad on them. I know every gun is different, but what is the overall experience? will they shoot decent? I am not asking for much, it's going to be an occasional shoot at the range gun, but mostly a hunter. you think MOA is possible?

2. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I had one in .280 rem and it was one of the best shooting sporters I ever owned. You just don't want to shoot them fast. By the third round when it is warm out they start walking alittle but more than adequate for hunting.

3. weewilly

weewilly Silver $$ Contributor

I had one in 280R that shot very well for hunting rifle.

4. 280man

280man Silver $$ Contributor

Like Jon I also had a 280 and another one in 30/06 and they were both great hunting rifles with excellent accuracy.

5. expiper

expiper

OP,,,I have never "owned" one ,,,but have bedded 6 or 7 ,,,all in .280 Rem cal,,,and they ALL shot very well,,,,one of my co-workers had one of them and when he died another of my c0-workers call me ,,and asked if I had bedded that particular rifle,,,I told him yes,,,and he bought it,,,,now we gota wait on him to die to get it!!!,,,he tells of it shooting 1/2" three shot goups at 100yds most of the time!! ,,,just like it did for me and the original owner,,,,,,OBTW,,,If your gun had a detacable box mag ,,,it ain't an old' one,,,,Roger

PS,,,I used H-4350 (max load) and Sierra 150-160 gr SBT's,,,,the rifle mentioned above has killed several deer,elk,moose,bears-------I guess that is a big YES,,,THEY ARE A GREAT RIFLE,,,,

6. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I FORGOT TO MENTION ONE THING , MINE WAS THE STANDARD BDL VERSION AND THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH IT IS I SOLD IT TO A GUY FOR 475.00 AND AFTER I FELT SORRY FOR HIM , SELLING IT TO HIM HE BITCHED THAT I OVER CHARGED HIM.Sorry caps on. The moral of the story is to never feel sorry for your friends because they expect everything for free.

7. expiper

expiper

HA ahaha,,,,Jon,,,,some guy complain about everything (women,weather,weapons,world,,).....stay warm,,,Roger

8. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

well that just made my day. I was a little worried about it. I guess now I will have to get and see. By saying one of the "old ones", I meant to say, not one of the most recent produced with synthetic stocks, etc. It looks like the DM walnut stocked models were discontinued in 2006. being a .260 it was made between 1998-2006, which yes isn't honestly that old. I missed my chance a couple of years ago on a .280 with the bdl floorplate, that had a great piece of wood on it, it was curly both sides of the butt stock up into action area. lt was a tight curl too, looked just like the really nice curly maple Richard franklin used to put on his rifles.

I honestly used to own a gun identical to this, and I didn't have the best luck with it shooting that great. I bet I was getting it too hot, probably didn't bed it, etc. Knowing me, the main reason was probably I saw something else that caught my eye more and traded it off. I do remember regretting getting rid of it fairly soon after doing so.

did you guys bed and free float the barrel, or keep some sort of tension out near the end of stock? like pressure points?

9. expiper

expiper

welll small frye,,,,since you asked,,,everyone has an opinion about everthing in life,,,but I have bedded hundreds of hunting rifles and dozens of target rifles with moderate success,,,,for a typical M-700 I like to raise the barelled action up out of the stock ~030-050 in the recoil lug/front action screw area,,,,this tilts the muzzel of the gun up a lil' and give bbl clearance (which minimizes the ammount of bbl chanel work) and I remove the two lilttle humps that are at the front of the bbl channel (the bbl is completely free floating),,,,then I bed the area of the front ring of the action around the recoil lug area,,,,put masking tape around the bbl to give clearance after the bedding cures,,,,and I bed the small area around the rear action screw,,,,If the rifle is an ADL with the middle (third ) action screw I leave that area alone,,,,by lifting the front of the action "slightly" this give some clearance from the front to back on the action,,,in other words the magazine area is floating also,,,just touching in front and rear,,,,I dont like to bed an "inch or two"in front of the recoil lug ,,because most factory bbls are tapered there and when they heat up the expand foreward and like a wedge give tension on the bbld action,,,,I use Devcon--Accu Bed--Bisonite--Marine tex,,,,the kind that is like putty (not liquid and runny),and Johnsons Paste was as release agent (or Brownells blue skin type,,),,,,,,,Roger

10. p-man

p-man Silver $$ Contributor

Listen to Roger - best free advice you'll get from a pro - I've had an early 280 that shot OK but really responded well to glass bedding and ample clearance in the barrel channel.

11. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

yup. I agree. I thought for a minute he was a long lost friend, calling me small frye. that's what I was called growing up, probably until I was about 13-14. I laughed my a$$ off when I read it. Then I thought who is this guy, but he is from WV, so likely I don't know him. Still going to follow his advice on bedding procedure. I have bedded remingtons in the past using a slightly different method, and his makes more sense explained the way he did. I have always taken out the pressure points on the end of the stock too, but have heard some theories that they actually work if properly done.

12. bheadboy

bheadboy

had one and after free floating and bedding action it shot very well, great ligh hunting rig.

Bob

13. Area Man

Area Man

I have the pre-detachable magazine version in .270 Win. Always my #1 deer rifle.

She's known as Thumper, Bambi's best friend. :D